January 23rd, 2009
8 months ago

McCain says he and Palin plan to meet this month

CNN

Watch McCain discuss his relationship with Palin.

(CNN) – Despite the post-election battle between Sarah Palin and John McCain's campaign advisors, the former Republican presidential candidate told CNN’s Larry King both members of the GOP ticket remain “very close.”

McCain — who has been edging his way back into the spotlight Palin never quite left - dismissed questions over his running mate’s criticism of his campaign team. “Listen, I think the world of Governor Palin, her husband Todd, her family, I'm honored that she would run with me,” he said in an interview Thursday.

“And look, whenever there is a losing campaign there is always a little bit of back and forth, and it happens post-mortem. I am so grateful to have her as a friend, and I believe that she represents a lot to the Republican Party in the future. I think she has a big role to play.”

Palin and senior McCain aides, many of them anonymous, have traded criticism since the Republican ticket’s defeat.

Last month, the Alaska governor told Human Events that following the campaign’s media strategy was her biggest regret of the race. “I was not allowed to do very many interviews, and the interviews that I did were not necessarily those I would have chosen,” she said. “But I was so thankful to have the opportunity to run with John McCain that I was not going to argue with the strategy decisions that some of his people were making regarding the media contacts...if I would have been in charge, I would have wanted to speak to more reporters, because that’s how you get your message out to the electorate.”

The Arizona senator would not tell King Thursday whether he was personally stung by Palin’s criticism of his top aides. “Look, we're very close friends, and I talk to her all the time and look forward to seeing her, I think, in a week or so,” he said. “We're very close.”

McCain also side-stepped the question of whether he’d ever raised those comments with her. “Oh - these things always happen in campaigns,” he said. “She has my respect and my affection and that's undying.”

Last month, he told an interviewer Sarah Palin could not necessarily count on his support his former running mate if she chose to run for president.

"I can't say something like that. We've got some great other young governors,” he told ABC then. “I think you're going to see the governors assume a greater leadership role in our Republican Party," he said, citing Governors Tim Pawlenty of Minnesota and Jon Huntsman of Utah.

“...Have no doubt of my admiration and respect for her and my view of her viability, but at this stage, again … my corpse is still warm, you know?"

Filed under: John McCain • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Mrs. R

Democrats. Republicans. WHAT ABOUT PLAIN OLD HARD-WORKING, BLUE COLLAR AMERICAN THAT DID NOT REQUIRE A COLLEGE DEGREE TO MAKE A GOOD LIVING?

Since 1981, we have had a Republican president for 20 years and one Democratic president for 8 years. Are you telling me the Democratics are solely responsible and should take all the blame for where we are on 01/23/09?

Anybody see the timing of the real estate/mortgage crisis in relation to the passing of NAFTA? I'd be interested to know the percentage of people who have suffered foreclosure – how many lost their jobs overseas? Democrats and Republicans BOTH worked-out NAFTA and they BOTH failed.

Lets be realistic – no person could possibly fix what's wrong in this country in 4 months – let alone 4 years.

January 23, 2009 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  2. Randy

Come on people. Get over it, already. The finger pointers and negative commentors need to have someone to blame.
    Sarah Palin is the new style of republican that we can expect in the next election in 2010 and 2012.
    She did more damage, single handedly, to the GOP in 6 months than GWB did in 8 years.
    Opps! I just pointed my finger and made a negative comment.
    My bad!!

January 23, 2009 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  3. Christopher

The American people got it right this time and didn't buy in to the sound bytes of "Joe Six Pack" or "Joe The Plumber".

Nice to know that collectively we're smarter than what Palin, Limbaugh and Hannity give us credit for.

January 23, 2009 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  4. Steve

McCain may have very well won, had he picked a competent running mate. Many of the votes for the winning candidate were not actually "for Obama" but "against McCain/Palin". I know many Republicans that voted against McCain primarily because of Palin.

If McCain wants to gain back any of his political base, he needs to drop any business with Palin like a dirty sock. She lost him the election, and she keeps returning to the spotlight like the guest that won't take the hint and go home at the end of a party. McCain should talk about his mistake (in bringing her on the ticket) and move on. Everyone makes mistakes, only leaders admit what they've done, and take care of corrective action. Are you a leader, McCain?

January 23, 2009 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  5. Eric

They told her not to do any interviews because they didn't want her to say anything else stupid like, "I can see Russia from my house!"

January 23, 2009 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  6. Karen- Change is coming

WHAT A WASTE OF TIME ON BOTH OF THEM! I'm happy that we have a qualified President & Vice-President who honesly want to make a difference in the world.

Thank God for President Obama and Vice-President Biden

January 23, 2009 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  7. keir

You got the President you wanted, and before you all think that President Obama will do such a great job, why don't you all come to the land of reality. Just like all people of politics, he will surely have to make compromises and concessions.. some for the good of the country, some to appease his base and other groups who support him. The problems he faces are great, and if he truly is a new democrat then he just might ruffle a few feathers. But he's already had controversies appear and he's just started.. so let's see how he does on the issues he's facing.. don't jump on the praise President Obama bandwagon until you see if the change purported is the change that's good for the country

January 23, 2009 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  8. Maggie SC

I think so too, Senator, McCain. You two together would have made and awesome difference in America. AS it is I hope we do not go toward Socialism as President Obma seems to be leading us. We do not want socialism.

January 23, 2009 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  9. James

What will they talk about? Her lavish wardrobe spending during the worst recession since WWII? You betcha. Palin will be the best thing ever for Obama in 2012. Thanks McCain.

January 23, 2009 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  10. Toni in Illinois

I find it interesting that the minute the name Palin is mentioned, the haters come out. What is more amazing, how many women "MichMom" (who I imagine are stay at home moms) don't like her. My personal belief is those stay at home mom's are just repeating the crap their working husbands feed them. Their husbands hate her because she scares the bejesus out of them. They are chauvanistic and can't stand that she didn't stay at home in the kitchen – we haven't come such a long way baby – we have a much longer way to go to change this country – maybe racisim has been put to bed but sexism is here to stay.

January 23, 2009 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  11. Nikitas

Palin 2012? Hey GOP, give Obama some real competition! The honorable (as a soldier, anyway) McCain couldn't win. Although I liked her a bit, Palin is not qualified. Period.

January 23, 2009 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  12. Theresa

57 states was Obama. Look it up!!!

January 23, 2009 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  13. Don't worry about it..

Seriously guys, stop hating so much..its pathetic...if you hated people so much you wouldn't constantly be looking them up on the internet and just getting all excited about a place to bash them...wooo! If you hate McCain and Palin..maybe, just MAYBE you shouldn't have clicked on the link...just saying...when I hate things I don't normally go out seeking them...and for those of you who say she needs to let go of her 15 minutes of fame..blah blah blah! Get a clue! She is news! Maybe the media should leave HER and her family alone and let her get on with her life...and maybe you should all leave her alone too...quite franky I sense a lot of jealousy...Why else would you still be talking about her? I don't know ANYONE who still talks about her besides the crazy media...yeah, she's totally sexier than you..get over it..that's life...now grow up and show some respect to her as a HUMAN BEING! Is that really too much to ask?

January 23, 2009 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  14. The Real Thing

The good thing about the USA is that Americans can have an open discussion about anything or anybody; I just don't believe Sarah Palin has enough support to be a serious threat to the Democratic stronghold, especially given our unique challenges at this time in history and the fact that the public seems to want more intelligent leadership in the midst of our various crisis. Most posts about Governor Sarah Palin and her family are negative and they don't even mention the Church video where Sarah is down front for prayer while the minister/prophet is praying away witches, the fact that her husband has ties to that organization which wants to sucede from the Union, her son-in-law to be is from a drug dealing family and the son-in-law to be is an admitted redneck. etc. If Sarah makes a serious run for President, all of that will make headlines on a larger scale. Also, I want my daughters to make personal and sexual decisions from a position of being informed of all their options, along with the pros and cons for each. If there was any serious negative news about the Obama family, believe me it would be headline news. It is a fact that Barack and Michelle Obama are decent people who have lived as decent people for a long time. A lot of my associates at work have stated "I can identify with Sarah; she's like me"; when I explore and ponder those words, I feel racism is still very much alive, if we indeed live in a democracy made up of all types of people and religions, especially when those same associates feel its not right that so many Blacks voted for Obama. I would just like for Obama to have an opportunity to accomplish what he intends to do for the USA; let Palin run; it's a free country. I'm just not sure that everyone is going to vote for Palin's outdated version of "real America". All Americans, including people of color will be the ones whose hard work will pay Social Security benefits to our aging population. We all deserve each other's respect, no matter what our personal beliefs are.

January 23, 2009 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  15. 0 for 4

Interesting that we are labeled as hate-mongers when we point out the obvious. Want to see hate? Check out Rush saying that he WANTS Obama to fail. Or Bill O telling us we should be afraid.

Give it up, McCain/Palin backers. They lost. Resoundingly.

Support our president, but remain ever vigilant. You may be pleasantly surprised.

January 23, 2009 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  16. Don't worry about it..

Seriously guys, stop hating so much..its pathetic...if you hated people so much you wouldn't constantly be looking them up on the internet and just getting all excited about a place to bash them...wooo! If you hate McCain and Palin..maybe, just MAYBE you shouldn't have clicked on the link...just saying...when I hate things I don't normally go seeking them out...and for those of you who say she needs to let go of her 15 minutes of fame..blah blah blah! Get a clue! She is news! Maybe the media should leave HER and her family alone and let her get on with her life...and maybe you should all leave her alone too...quite franky I sense a lot of jealousy...Why else would you still be talking about her? I don't know ANYONE who still talks about her besides the crazy media...yeah, she's totally sexier than you..get over it..that's life...now grow up and show some respect to her as a HUMAN BEING! Is that really too much to ask?

January 23, 2009 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  17. Dave

Thank God for Sarah Palin.
    If she had not been chosen, McCain might have chosen someone who might have actually helped the Republicans win. And that...might have been the death knell for our country. Lets just hope that the GOP doesnt make a comeback anytime soon. And I used to vote for them!

January 23, 2009 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  18. froghugger

SARAH THE SELF-SERVING SOCIOPATH.....

January 23, 2009 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  19. Sylvia

This is great. I see a lot of composure and respect in this man. He carries himself and will not belittle anyone. It is a shame is was not elected president especially when he has so much to give.

January 23, 2009 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  20. Dave in Atlanta

Very gracious of John McCain. Palin has been saying some reckless and nasty things in the media and he chose not to respond in kind.

January 23, 2009 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  21. sandy

Senator McCain seems to know the rule "you never build yourself up by tearing someone else down." The sniping needs to stop and it is largely prompted by the media. Enough is enough...let's get on to America's business and work for the future and learn from the past but don't whine or make excuses for it.

I am not worried about who runs or who supports whom in 2012. I am worried about where America and Americans will be if we don't all work together to solve our problems. When we can get past the greed and power struggles and work for the good of all then just maybe we can be the country and the people we set out to be.

January 23, 2009 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  22. Flo

haha nice one dizizi31

January 23, 2009 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  23. John

As a Democrat, I LOVE Sarah Palin, She ll make Barack Job easier in 2012, let the GOP have no primaries and just nominate

SARAH for PRESIDENT 2012...

January 23, 2009 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  24. Mozart

this idiot didn't learn yet when you touch fire your fingers get burned..
    leave machine gun Matilda alone before people start questioning your creditability!

January 23, 2009 11:22 am at 11:22 am |