January 23rd, 2009
11 months ago

McCain says he and Palin plan to meet this month

CNN

Watch McCain discuss his relationship with Palin.

(CNN) – Despite the post-election battle between Sarah Palin and John McCain's campaign advisors, the former Republican presidential candidate told CNN’s Larry King both members of the GOP ticket remain “very close.”

McCain — who has been edging his way back into the spotlight Palin never quite left - dismissed questions over his running mate’s criticism of his campaign team. “Listen, I think the world of Governor Palin, her husband Todd, her family, I'm honored that she would run with me,” he said in an interview Thursday.

“And look, whenever there is a losing campaign there is always a little bit of back and forth, and it happens post-mortem. I am so grateful to have her as a friend, and I believe that she represents a lot to the Republican Party in the future. I think she has a big role to play.”

Palin and senior McCain aides, many of them anonymous, have traded criticism since the Republican ticket’s defeat.

Last month, the Alaska governor told Human Events that following the campaign’s media strategy was her biggest regret of the race. “I was not allowed to do very many interviews, and the interviews that I did were not necessarily those I would have chosen,” she said. “But I was so thankful to have the opportunity to run with John McCain that I was not going to argue with the strategy decisions that some of his people were making regarding the media contacts...if I would have been in charge, I would have wanted to speak to more reporters, because that’s how you get your message out to the electorate.”

The Arizona senator would not tell King Thursday whether he was personally stung by Palin’s criticism of his top aides. “Look, we're very close friends, and I talk to her all the time and look forward to seeing her, I think, in a week or so,” he said. “We're very close.”

McCain also side-stepped the question of whether he’d ever raised those comments with her. “Oh - these things always happen in campaigns,” he said. “She has my respect and my affection and that's undying.”

Last month, he told an interviewer Sarah Palin could not necessarily count on his support his former running mate if she chose to run for president.

"I can't say something like that. We've got some great other young governors,” he told ABC then. “I think you're going to see the governors assume a greater leadership role in our Republican Party," he said, citing Governors Tim Pawlenty of Minnesota and Jon Huntsman of Utah.

“...Have no doubt of my admiration and respect for her and my view of her viability, but at this stage, again … my corpse is still warm, you know?"

Filed under: John McCain • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Jacob

I do think that this is sort of irrelevant to this time period. But it is good to know that they are on good terms now. The media did tear Palin apart because they don't like her. But hopefully they will be ready to go in 2012.

January 23, 2009 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  2. Bubba

Yeah, she has a role to play. I think it's going to be Moosie the Whackjob Candidate. Go get 'em, Palin – finish off the GOP while it's weak!

January 23, 2009 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  3. Rico

Sarah Palin?? Who's that???

January 23, 2009 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  4. blackhat

Excellent! As the Demo's churn. No there,s no media created animosity between the man who introduced the nation to Sarah Palin, and made the fact known that there is other people in the US other than Californians, New Yorkans, Chicagoans, and DC elitist! It's hard to be WRONG! And thats where the media is sitting now. There wrong! I would have done this or I would have done that is speculation news by muckrakers laying in bed fabricating divisional hate! It shouldn't be protected by the constitution. It's defamation!

January 23, 2009 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  5. Maggie SC

It seems the majority of the above writers are so ignorant that they do not see the writing on the wall for the Obama administration. It would be to their advantage to not look at parties but instead look to our future under the rule of so much demoratic liberal's views which will not get the job done. Just look at all the work being done behind our backs right now. You will eventually see the light but I am afraind it will be too late to "CHANGE IT BACK TO WE THE PEOPLE INSTEAD OF WE ME AND THE ROTTEN DEMOCRATIC POWERES." There is so much indication now that we are headed toward socilism but most people who do not think past their nose have no clue. Get smart, people!!

January 23, 2009 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  6. Jackie in Dallas

Oh, and come on guys, Sarah was his running mate, and it has only been 2 and 1/2 months since the election. Senator McCain knows he made a mistake letting whoever it was force Sarah down his throat on the ticket, but it is much too soon for him to be retrospective enough (and honest enough) to admit publically that her nomination as VP was a big mistake.

Truth be known, I don't think he could have won the election with just about anyone on the ticket once the economy cratered. It would have been a lot closer, probably, but you don't elect a President who admits he "doesn't know as much about the economy as he'd like" to in a time of serious economic recession.

January 23, 2009 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  7. Jim-in-PA

Her hate filled "He's not like us" comments and her LACK of response when people were chanting "Terrorist" at her speeches were the reason why McCain lost my vote.

McC leave this say anything to get ahead garbage behind, we need to work together for the sake of the country.

January 23, 2009 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  8. Suet

McCain is meeting with Palin later this month.......I think the GOP has told him to go have a meeting with her and tell her the truth about why he picked her and that she is not ready material for any jobs in DC.......I think he is going to tell her to watch what she is saying and how she is complaining because all this is going to be replayed in 2012 if she tries to run for any office. I think he's been told to go have a heart to heart talk with her........

January 23, 2009 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  9. Tom, Bradenton,FL

Absurd we have a new President, why is McCain talking to this idiot.

January 23, 2009 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  10. Ambrose Smith, Borrego Springs, California

McCain is trying his darndest to convince us that he and Palin are very close and she has his total respect and admiration blah blah blah.

What a bunch of b.s! Who does he think he is fooling? Republicans?

January 23, 2009 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  11. pat from canada

it seems any mention of Palin brings out the love/hate commentary. Interesting that this post alone invites nearly 200 (and yes – from me too). As long as she garners any type of reaction – either good or bad – she's going to be a presence. A future for her in your highest elected offices? Seriously. We are a society that lives and dies by first impressions and hers has been seriously scarred – I believe beyond repair. McCain is trying to show he can lose with some dignity – he gains nothing by trashing Palin further or blaming her for the defeat (at least not publicly anyway). He's been around and knows the game so well – Palin does not show that she has even learned the basics of the campaign game (and yes it is very much a game – particularly in media relations) just take the loss with grace and prepare yourself better and stronger for another try. Sorry Gov Palin but the more you whine.......the worse you look ....and it gets old very quickly.

January 23, 2009 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  12. gl, Pittsburgh

McCain needs to be truthfull regarding Sara Palin. If she is such a good friend, why wasn't she invitved to his Honory dinner. I so glad she wasn't invited. She is a lose canned and continue to try and say in the spotlight knowing she is not educated enough to be the VP or Prsident of the USA. She is a joke that keep on giving the world laugher.

January 23, 2009 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  13. Palin Sex-Ed

RE: THE ABSTINENCE POLICY:
    Learn How You, Too, Can Be a Mom & a Grandma in the Same Year!!

Hilarious!!! Everyone...including Mccain need to let her go. She is the buffoon of American politics

January 23, 2009 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  14. djak

I'm so tired of hearing about this woman. Make it go away!

January 23, 2009 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  15. mark my words

Obama is negative and dispiriting, talking down the economy. This guy is definitely not up to what this nation needs. Even the stock market took a dive on his inauguration day, the worst dive of it's kind in history. Obama has talked down the economy, now he wants to spend us into prosperity. Only an Obot fool would think that is going to save us. He will go down as the MOST divisive president of all times. He has driven a wedge deep into this nation and if he continues with his reckless talk and plans, it will spell disaster. Wait and see what's ahead. The man has never accomplished anything in his life other than having elections thrown. Acorn did a great job this time. Next election I am going to vote at least 100 times. I will travel to the battleground states and take all my friends and we will vote till we can't vote no mo!

January 23, 2009 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  16. Shea

AndyL January 23rd, 2009 11:01 am ET

@John, Rochester MN January 23rd, 2009 10:48 am ET

You said Palin is the least qualified to run! If experience is what you wanted, you should have voted for McCain. I don't think 18 months of senate experience and being a community organiser qualifies you to be president of the United States. Can't have it both ways buddy.
    *************************
    AndL,

It seems you conveniently forget that Obama was also a State Senator for over a decade. Not to mention a lot more educated with the ability to reason through complex issues than Palin will ever be capable of doing. Nor does he make personal attacks on other people no matter how deserving.

January 23, 2009 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  17. carol

Well, do any of us really care, do they have anymore rallies lined up so that good ole gal Sarah can get into the saddle again?

January 23, 2009 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  18. Va 4 Obama

McCain is quite the gentleman not blaming Palin for his loss although we all know she IS TO BLAME!! I am thoroughly an Obama supporter and it's a shame McCain felt he had to choose Palin as a "gimmick" to get women voters. His ploy so painfully back-fired!!!!

Pres. Obama is already on the right track reversing Bush's backwards policies.

January 23, 2009 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  19. Steve

JOHN from ROCHESTER MN – I LOVE YOU TOO MAN!!!!!!!!

January 23, 2009 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  20. Ryan Kellio

Two words, "Obama 2012" if Sarah no brains Palin decides to run!!

January 23, 2009 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  21. dennisk

@Kevin in Ohio

Now that the shoe is on the other foot, it doesn't fit so well, does it? Eight years of nothing but hate and disdain from The Right (which always seemed to be Wrong) for any dissenting opinion whatsoever, but now The Left is supposed to throw flowers at Palin's feet? Not going to happen.

January 23, 2009 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  22. Bubba

@NOBAMA – get your thumb off the caplock unless you want to be mistaken for a small child using mom's computer. And if by 'rights for terrorists' you mean moving the Gitmo detainees to places where they can actually be tried, think it through. Bush held them without trials and due process, and never did jack except dress them funny and take pictures. Move them to the USA, try them, and shoot them in the head seems to be the plan as far as I can see.
    CNN, please keep her in the headlines so everyone will see that she is exactly the same as always. She doesn't read, educate herself, or modify her opinions; she's happy to be just the way she is and blames all her problems on outsider who don't like her. Heck, she's exactly like GW Bush.

January 23, 2009 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  23. Reet

to bbb.....it was President Obama that went to all 57 states......remember.

January 23, 2009 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  24. bills2pay

Did you see the Obama Chia Pet on CNN News? Now there's news you can use. Just $19.99 + S&H – get 'em while they last.

January 23, 2009 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  25. max

To the people who are saying people are afraid of Palin-in my case I am afraid of her type of person-who allows hateful and mean things to occur in their presence and do nothing-remeber the poem-they came for this group but I did not do anything-finally thye came for me and there was no one left-if she alows one group of people to treated poorly-she will allow you to be treated poorly-she is a brave woman-but if she is going to run in 2012-maybe she should not bash McCain-he is being a gentleman-I hope Obama can find more ways to include him in the whole process becasue he has good insights- About children-it does not matter who the birth paents are as long as a child is loved and appreicated by a family they will be okay-

January 23, 2009 11:32 am at 11:32 am |