January 23rd, 2009
8 months ago

McCain says he and Palin plan to meet this month

CNN

Watch McCain discuss his relationship with Palin.

(CNN) – Despite the post-election battle between Sarah Palin and John McCain's campaign advisors, the former Republican presidential candidate told CNN’s Larry King both members of the GOP ticket remain “very close.”

McCain — who has been edging his way back into the spotlight Palin never quite left - dismissed questions over his running mate’s criticism of his campaign team. “Listen, I think the world of Governor Palin, her husband Todd, her family, I'm honored that she would run with me,” he said in an interview Thursday.

“And look, whenever there is a losing campaign there is always a little bit of back and forth, and it happens post-mortem. I am so grateful to have her as a friend, and I believe that she represents a lot to the Republican Party in the future. I think she has a big role to play.”

Palin and senior McCain aides, many of them anonymous, have traded criticism since the Republican ticket’s defeat.

Last month, the Alaska governor told Human Events that following the campaign’s media strategy was her biggest regret of the race. “I was not allowed to do very many interviews, and the interviews that I did were not necessarily those I would have chosen,” she said. “But I was so thankful to have the opportunity to run with John McCain that I was not going to argue with the strategy decisions that some of his people were making regarding the media contacts...if I would have been in charge, I would have wanted to speak to more reporters, because that’s how you get your message out to the electorate.”

The Arizona senator would not tell King Thursday whether he was personally stung by Palin’s criticism of his top aides. “Look, we're very close friends, and I talk to her all the time and look forward to seeing her, I think, in a week or so,” he said. “We're very close.”

McCain also side-stepped the question of whether he’d ever raised those comments with her. “Oh - these things always happen in campaigns,” he said. “She has my respect and my affection and that's undying.”

Last month, he told an interviewer Sarah Palin could not necessarily count on his support his former running mate if she chose to run for president.

"I can't say something like that. We've got some great other young governors,” he told ABC then. “I think you're going to see the governors assume a greater leadership role in our Republican Party," he said, citing Governors Tim Pawlenty of Minnesota and Jon Huntsman of Utah.

“...Have no doubt of my admiration and respect for her and my view of her viability, but at this stage, again … my corpse is still warm, you know?"

Filed under: John McCain • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. The Big NB

John McCain and Sarah Palin: GO AWAY! GO AWAY and NEVER COME BACK! We never want to see either of you again.

January 23, 2009 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  2. katiec

What is even more disgusting than Palin is the media continues to give her the headlines. She was their "sweetheart" and continue to shove her down our throats.
    They insult our intelligence!

January 23, 2009 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  3. john

Sarah Palin is an idiot. Im glad she is nowhere near the white house. Millions of people think the same.

She sank John McCain. If he had picked tom ridge or someone like himself then if would have been a much closer election.

Sarah Palin 2012= second term for obama

January 23, 2009 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  4. Bill from Alaska

Reasons why Palin can't be President

1. The seperationist thing is just the start – Ever heard of WAR? The Wasilla Aryan Republicans? Todd and she both have, do your research. [For those who don't know, they were both members]

2. Obama campaign/Democratic PACs never hit her for her church connections – this is a low road to take, admittedly, but the stuff there is as bad/controversial as the Wright issue and just compounds standing issues she has

3. Her's daughter's to-be husband and his family and some BAD skeletons

4. Her local housing deal – a lot of it is circumstantial, but it looks shady – which the public tends to dislike.

By the way, I think that none of these got much attention (while, if true for Obama, they certainly would have) is evidence that the media is neither especially liberal or conservative, but fascinated with 'great stories,' ones hat they try to sell and back until they no longer can (Obama's candidacy, Hillary's late "comeback" in the primaries, they sustained McCain's "comeback" in 2008 too)

January 23, 2009 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  5. Mr. Phil

All I have to say is, if Palin somehow hoodwinks enough religio-freaks and rednecks to win in 2012, I'm moving to Spain because it will surely hearken the end of the U.S.A. as we know it. We just got rid of one clueless idiot in the White House, do you really think we'll replace someone who is intelligent (a JD from Harvard…that's a Doctorate degree for you nudnicks who never made it out of high school) and can speak in complete, coherent, and cognizant sentences with someone who is unintelligent (ooohhh…a Bachelor's degree!!!) and can't even answer a simple question like what kind of periodicals do you read? I shudder to think!!!

January 23, 2009 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  6. Ray Fisher

America has bigger fish to fry than wasting time on McLame and his pet poodle Palin!!! This is not newsworthy...

January 23, 2009 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  7. Conservative James, Phoenix AZ

Oh, Senator McCain, yes!!!! PLEASE run again with Sarah as your running mate. That will assuredly put the final nail in the Republican coffin.

January 23, 2009 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  8. Dont blame me

The problem is McCain, YOU were the problem.

YOU were not enough of a Conservative Republican to get elected even though you were the lesser of 2 evils.

January 23, 2009 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  9. Joyce in Indiana

It is interesting how many supporters of the queen of hate are urging others not to be mean to her. Regardless of whether or not she was otherwise qualified to be VP, she disqualified herself when she pandered to the racist right by saying that then candidate Obama "is not like the rest of us."

Quit defending her. That kind of hate speech in a candidate for high public office is indefensible.

January 23, 2009 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  10. Allen

John McCain: The reason there was friction in your campaign was
    because Sarah was running to "win" and you were running to "lose." It was sickening what you and you band of "hacks" did to her. If Sarah had been at the top of the ticket, she probably
    would have won....and we would not be stuck with 4 years of B.O!

January 23, 2009 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  11. Bob

Somehow her name gets in the news each week. I guess we can keep expecting that for the next 208 weeks (4 years) You betcha! Ughhhhh...

January 23, 2009 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  12. James from Mass.

Can't wait to see Sarah Palin paired with Joe Plumber as 2012 the Rupublic tickets.

January 23, 2009 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  13. what?

I want Hilarious to answer it's own question. Were there dinosaurs in the stone age? Jerk.

January 23, 2009 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  14. Rick from Murfreesboro, TN

If Sarah Palin is the future of the Republican Party then they have no future!

January 23, 2009 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  15. capnmike

There is a New Word in the English Language:
    Palinize (pa'-lin-iz) v., To continue to talk about a subject after everyone has lost interest.

January 23, 2009 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  16. Carl Justus

If McCain really thinks that Palin is capable and will have major say in the republican, shows he is either senile or losing his mind.
    I cannot believe that she will have much influence on the party, if she does then the republican is in more trouble than most people think.

January 23, 2009 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  17. Obama 2012'

"I believe that she represents a lot to the Republican Party in the future", This will divide the GOP as we know it. Sarah Palin is not and will not ever be qualified for a higher office.

January 23, 2009 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  18. Mike

If any Republican seriously believes that Palin will be the saving grace of the party, they are living in denial. I see the appeal in the sense that she can rally the base, but this woman has no intellectual depth whatsoever. Maybe that IS the appeal, there are still people out there who think FORMER President Bush did a wonderful job and attribute the lack of another terrorist attack directly to Bush's credit. How could anyone possibly know that Bush directly, or indirectly for that matter, prevented a terrorist attack. Don't you think that he would have championed his intervention as proof that his views on torture and the suspension of habeus corpus and the Geneva Convention for foreign combatants were actually viable? Palin's conservative agenda will sink the Republican Party in any election. Too much of the country is in the middle for her to have a reasonable chance. Besides the fact that this woman still believes (INCORRECTLY) that global warming is not a man-made, that seeing Russia (LOL) gives her foreign policy credentials, and that gay people shouldn't have the same rights as anyone else, she is in NO WAY QUALIFIED to be POTUS, much less VPOTUS. Does any Republican really believe she has a strong grasp of the economy much less any understanding of the conflict in the Middle East? How would the world see the US if a gun-toting ideological religious zealot were in the White House? And for all of you who are still in disbelief, Obama won the election, and if you are a US citizen, he is YOUR PRESIDENT no matter how much you like up-do's and pregnant teenagers.

January 23, 2009 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  19. Lynn

I can't stand the woman named Sarah Palin. Tell her and mcCain to stop telling stories to us. I just can't stand her. John McCain may think she is her friend, but women hate her so much. Tell her don't try to run for P or VP, just waste time.

January 23, 2009 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  20. Rosa - Philadelphia, PA

God, I wish this women would just move on. The change has taken place in this great country and we must now work together. Period.

January 23, 2009 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  21. Tom P

Non story.

McCain ran an incompentent campaign – which wasn't the fault of Gov. Palin – and the press compounded the problem by hammering Palin incessantly. This is just one more parting shot.

Palin will have to earn her stripes in the GOP in the next 4 years just like all the other potential GOP candidates for high office.

But, I find it amusing that even with the Messiah in the White House, the lefties continue to attack Palin.

How about you all MOVE ON? Remember that phrase?

January 23, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  22. Mac

Why don't you just post every comment? What, is the FCC gonna get you? You're total pussies.

January 23, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  23. James

Nobama Noway, the world has enough red neck idiots... promise me you won't reproduce.

January 23, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  24. Barb

Sarah Palin, mother of five, would rather spend her day in politics than raising her children. Yes, women can have a career and also be a mother BUT, when one child has special needs and another teenager gets pregnant, it's time to take a good look and your priorities. Family first or career? And when you choose politics, your family is no longer private. She has shown that she is unable to make sound decisions in family as well as interviews. Sarah is all about Sarah. Don't blame the media for exposing her inability to interview well. Thank God she will not be making any decisions for the USA in the next four years! Thank you America!

January 23, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  25. Venia PA

All I can say is thank GOD the majority of America saw through the clueless one and the pathological liar (palin) and OVERWHELMINGLY made the right choice or this country would have been destroyed!!!

January 23, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |