January 23rd, 2009
8 months ago

McCain says he and Palin plan to meet this month

CNN

Watch McCain discuss his relationship with Palin.

(CNN) – Despite the post-election battle between Sarah Palin and John McCain's campaign advisors, the former Republican presidential candidate told CNN’s Larry King both members of the GOP ticket remain “very close.”

McCain — who has been edging his way back into the spotlight Palin never quite left - dismissed questions over his running mate’s criticism of his campaign team. “Listen, I think the world of Governor Palin, her husband Todd, her family, I'm honored that she would run with me,” he said in an interview Thursday.

“And look, whenever there is a losing campaign there is always a little bit of back and forth, and it happens post-mortem. I am so grateful to have her as a friend, and I believe that she represents a lot to the Republican Party in the future. I think she has a big role to play.”

Palin and senior McCain aides, many of them anonymous, have traded criticism since the Republican ticket’s defeat.

Last month, the Alaska governor told Human Events that following the campaign’s media strategy was her biggest regret of the race. “I was not allowed to do very many interviews, and the interviews that I did were not necessarily those I would have chosen,” she said. “But I was so thankful to have the opportunity to run with John McCain that I was not going to argue with the strategy decisions that some of his people were making regarding the media contacts...if I would have been in charge, I would have wanted to speak to more reporters, because that’s how you get your message out to the electorate.”

The Arizona senator would not tell King Thursday whether he was personally stung by Palin’s criticism of his top aides. “Look, we're very close friends, and I talk to her all the time and look forward to seeing her, I think, in a week or so,” he said. “We're very close.”

McCain also side-stepped the question of whether he’d ever raised those comments with her. “Oh - these things always happen in campaigns,” he said. “She has my respect and my affection and that's undying.”

Last month, he told an interviewer Sarah Palin could not necessarily count on his support his former running mate if she chose to run for president.

"I can't say something like that. We've got some great other young governors,” he told ABC then. “I think you're going to see the governors assume a greater leadership role in our Republican Party," he said, citing Governors Tim Pawlenty of Minnesota and Jon Huntsman of Utah.

“...Have no doubt of my admiration and respect for her and my view of her viability, but at this stage, again … my corpse is still warm, you know?"

Filed under: John McCain • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. dave

Change and hope?
    When is this suppose to start? or do we have to listen to four more years of the cut downs and whining
    Regardless of party sides, She has done way more than 95 percent of you will ever do. Grow up!! Does she scare you that much???

January 23, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  2. Jackie in Dallas

Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    Senator McCain,

There is no way that the Republican Party can afford to have Governor Palin on any ticket for a national office. She would be the final nail in the coffin of the GOP as a viable party. Yes, she does appeal to a certain demographic: far right religious extremists, bigots, and the uneducated. That is NOT the direction the GOP needs to take to survive in the 21st Century.

They should be appealing to moderates, like me. I might have voted for McCain — I was seriously considering doing so — until he picked her for his ticket. Instead, I decided to vote for President Obama, because at least he is intelligent, can speak in complete sentences, is a Constitutional scholar, and has serious knowledge of foreign affairs (as well as knows Africa is a continent, not a country). Yes, he lacks seasoning but is already showing that he knows how to learn on the job. Sarah's "executive" experience — 1 and 1/2 years as Governor of one of the states with the smallest populations, and several years as mayor of a town smaller than my suburb of Dallas (which she left $7 million in debt) is not really that impressive.

BTW: No matter what state constitutions say, there is only ONE Commander in Chief of the American military, the President of the United States. There may be times when they have temporary command of the National Guard or reserve units, such as national disasters, but ultimately, there is only one CiC. There was a time when states had militias, and those, I guess, might fall under the command of the Governor.

January 23, 2009 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  3. Don Jones

John and Sarah, we love you and your hard efforts. Now we wish Obama well, but he is going to have to make some scores acoss the isle. This package Pelosi and friends drafted is sickening.

PresidentialBalls.com

January 23, 2009 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  4. beckyinOhio

As a woman I look at Sarah Palin with nothing but disgust. She is the LEAST likely female role model in America today. She has shown nothing but pettiness and how important it is to be CUTE! She has no substance. Give me a woman who can think on her feet and does not wrap herself in her own shallowness, worrying more about the image of her sexuality than the condition of her mind. If however, she were as smart as she looks pretty – then I'd vote for her, but alas, she is not!
    God help America if people actually believe that she has something to offer on the national level.
    Alaska can keep her.
    I voted for the smart guy. Good luck, Mr. President!

January 23, 2009 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  5. Zach

I appreciate that McCain is trying to take the high road be conciliatory, while Palin blames him and his campaign for her loss. I think McCain still has the potential to do some good as a Senator, reaching across the aisle to support our new President.

And the question I hope to be asking myself in 4 years is: Remember Sarah Palin? What ever happened to her...?

January 23, 2009 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  6. Mari

@ MOMMA GRIZZLY....... " with such grace and kindness"???????

Are you kidding? Palin spent the last few weeks of the vile 2008 campaign, asking about the "REAL AMERICA" which suggests that those of us who do not agree with her dogma or her values are not....... American! HOW IS THIS GRACE?

Palin got the people at her rallies, to shout "KILL HIM" HOW IS THIS KIND?

PALIN DID NOTHING BUT SPEW....... HATE, LIES, FEAR AND DIVISION!

HOW IS THIS CHRISTIAN?

January 23, 2009 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  7. MK

Sarah Palin, the gift that keeps on giving. Love how libeals hate and can't stand her but at the same time they just can't let her go. It must be jealousy.

January 23, 2009 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  8. Jeremy

"Sarah Palin is an amazingly accomplished American woman for her age! You liberal hate mongers who hide behind your computers can't hold a candle to her !!!!!!!!!!"

For her age???? FOR HER AGE??? It's not like she's 20 years old... you're talking about a woman that has kids old enough to have kids!!!

I know MANY more successful women in business that are NOT morons like Palin... much YOUNGER women even... These women command respect among their peers, they are capable of speaking without something written down. Hell they have even debated politics with Aaron Schock (congressman from IL) and did pretty good.

Sarah palin should have accomplished MUCH more in her lifespan than she has.... just think if she had completed her degree in less than 6 years how much farther she'd be.

I'm afraid you neo-con bloggers who hide behind your computers bashing liberals must really hate your lives right now.

January 23, 2009 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  9. carment

julie January 22nd, 2009 6:31 pm ET

This one is for you obsessive haters out there -> Sarah has a leadership aura. she is so engaged with everything, and brings that charismatic charm wherever she goes.

---

That may well be true. Pity she hasn't got the intellect to go with it.

January 23, 2009 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  10. Jean

I hoped he slammed Barney Frank for that 12 million or billion he slipped to a bank in Massachusetts.

Barney Frank commented he caused the problems so it was only fair to help.

Wake up America!

January 23, 2009 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  11. Jean

In four years it will be up to the American people if they want to continue with socialism and government control.

If they do Obama will be reelected.

If not, I give you Madam President Sarah.

January 23, 2009 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  12. snoozy

Palin was a monumental mistake and McCain was a weak candidate. Let's just wait 4 years when the speeches wear off and the teenagers go back to not caring about politics, so we get a real shot at making this country whole again.

January 23, 2009 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  13. Jhn in Atlanta

I hope Sarah Palin is the next Republican presidential candidate, although I do not expect it. It will show how extreme and desperate the Republicans have become at that point and will isolate them from the rest of our enlightened population, meaning a probable landslide for the Democrats. There is a reason that people in Alaska decide to go there or stay there – they have a different mindset and like that rugged simple life and all that it entails, including voluntary expatriation from intellectual solutions to problems. That is not the real world and is not mainstream America. If they were your everyday Americans, they would settle in Ohio or Nebraska or Georgia, don'cha know.

January 23, 2009 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  14. NY

New Yorkans????? HAHAHAHAHA!

January 23, 2009 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  15. bob in LA

Come on John- you picked a bimbo, she is showing she's a bimbo, so at least be honest enough to admit she's a bimbo.
    Whatever help she may have offered, she hurt you more.

January 23, 2009 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  16. Hoosier

Did I see several people call this election a "Landslide" for Obama?

Guess it depends on how you count. Even with the ridiculous Republican selections Obama sure as blazes didn't in the popular vote, where he won by about 10 million votes out of 129 million cast.
    That's less than 8%.

The landslide came in the electoral college, with relatively slim victories in the largest states that gave Obama a 68% fo 32% edge.

If the Republicans hadn't commited political suicide by their inability to unite and support their BEST candidates during the primary season, Obama would not be president today.

I know, I know, it is what it is. But that's the result of the self-destructive campaign of the Republicans.

January 23, 2009 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  17. oregon thinker

Sadly, there a lot of not too bright people who voted for Sarah Palin just because she is a pretty woman, and lots of people like to watch pretty women on t.v. ... If all we had was radio, no-one could see her, and all we could do is hear what she was saying,... and she wouldn't have gotten any votes

January 23, 2009 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  18. Allen

John McCain: The reason there was friction in your campaign was
    because Sarah was running to "win" and you were running to "lose." It was sickening what you and your band of "hacks" did to her. If Sarah had been at the top of the ticket, she probably would have won.

January 23, 2009 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  19. Simpliticus

The dissent isn't too surprising in light of comments made by McCain that Palin wasn't his first choice as a running mate. The obvious notion that the GOP wanted to take advantage of the huge disaffection which Clinton supporters might provide plus the ever huge disconnect with the Bush administration only made things worse.

January 23, 2009 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  20. Steven C.

The longer she stays in the GOP spotlight, the harder it'll be for the GOP to recover. Some people among the GOP know that she was mostly resposible for the Obama landslide and they hate how she just won't leave center stage. So, i pray every night that Sarah Palin continues trying to build more power for herself, knowing that shes draining that power straight from the GOP. Lord knows the left and moderates could give half a crap about her.

January 23, 2009 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  21. Pendragon

I am Republican and I don't want to see Palin in the future. In fact, I don't want to see McCain in the future either. Both of them were not what the party needed. I may not agree with Obama but I am giving him a chance to be my president. If he does not preform well, then I won't vote for him in 2012. Mitt Romney 2012!

January 23, 2009 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  22. Pat Canada

Hope Obama is hearing this. John has stated he and Palin are very close that he has a great deal of admiration for Palin. Red Flag if there ever was one. The general consensus being that Palin is not turning on all cylinders doesn't say much for McCain. Keep him at a distance Obama.

January 23, 2009 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  23. Jim

Apparently a pity for CNN the McCain and Palin are close.
    Now CNN have nothing to gossip about.

January 23, 2009 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  24. Bryan

The best thing to happen to the GOP was losing this election. It's time to flush the toilet and get some new folks in who might know a thing or two about government.

January 23, 2009 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  25. Peachy Keen

I am so sick of hearing about this woman. It is obvious that someone at CNN has the hots for her because they can't stop writing about her. What gives CNN? Don't you have some real news to report?

January 23, 2009 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |