January 23rd, 2009
10 months ago

McCain says he and Palin plan to meet this month

CNN

Watch McCain discuss his relationship with Palin.

(CNN) – Despite the post-election battle between Sarah Palin and John McCain's campaign advisors, the former Republican presidential candidate told CNN’s Larry King both members of the GOP ticket remain “very close.”

McCain — who has been edging his way back into the spotlight Palin never quite left - dismissed questions over his running mate’s criticism of his campaign team. “Listen, I think the world of Governor Palin, her husband Todd, her family, I'm honored that she would run with me,” he said in an interview Thursday.

“And look, whenever there is a losing campaign there is always a little bit of back and forth, and it happens post-mortem. I am so grateful to have her as a friend, and I believe that she represents a lot to the Republican Party in the future. I think she has a big role to play.”

Palin and senior McCain aides, many of them anonymous, have traded criticism since the Republican ticket’s defeat.

Last month, the Alaska governor told Human Events that following the campaign’s media strategy was her biggest regret of the race. “I was not allowed to do very many interviews, and the interviews that I did were not necessarily those I would have chosen,” she said. “But I was so thankful to have the opportunity to run with John McCain that I was not going to argue with the strategy decisions that some of his people were making regarding the media contacts...if I would have been in charge, I would have wanted to speak to more reporters, because that’s how you get your message out to the electorate.”

The Arizona senator would not tell King Thursday whether he was personally stung by Palin’s criticism of his top aides. “Look, we're very close friends, and I talk to her all the time and look forward to seeing her, I think, in a week or so,” he said. “We're very close.”

McCain also side-stepped the question of whether he’d ever raised those comments with her. “Oh - these things always happen in campaigns,” he said. “She has my respect and my affection and that's undying.”

Last month, he told an interviewer Sarah Palin could not necessarily count on his support his former running mate if she chose to run for president.

"I can't say something like that. We've got some great other young governors,” he told ABC then. “I think you're going to see the governors assume a greater leadership role in our Republican Party," he said, citing Governors Tim Pawlenty of Minnesota and Jon Huntsman of Utah.

“...Have no doubt of my admiration and respect for her and my view of her viability, but at this stage, again … my corpse is still warm, you know?"

Filed under: John McCain • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. gary

Palin just gets sicker and more twisted as time goes by. McCain has some honor so why throw any more of it away by relating to his ex-nut case running mate?

January 23, 2009 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  2. Haha

10 to 1 odds say that Sarah Palin is hotter than all of the women put together who blogged on this article today. Liberal women tend to be ugly, ugly and uglier.

January 23, 2009 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  3. Niki Birdsflight

Sure, Palin has a big role to play if you want a dictator. She has the background, the attitude, behavior, philosophy to be a mini Bush. No electoral majority will support this ex-beauty pageant woman. She needs a real degree with real education and an open mind instead of a brain washed evangelistic view. These people want the world to follow them and there is no space for other opinions , religions or cultures. Look at the disaster Bush did for us. She would be even worst.

January 23, 2009 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  4. Greg Ebert, Portland, OR

Keep it up, Sarah. The GOP is a sinking ship and you should ride it and guide it all the way down into the depths of irrelevance, obscurity, and extinction.

January 23, 2009 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  5. B.H.

Please people, no more C students!

January 23, 2009 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  6. Natalie

Governor Sarah Palin will never be President of the United States.

January 23, 2009 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  7. Terry B.

And we care why Geezer and Gidget are going to meet???

January 23, 2009 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  8. Sandra Day

By the way, liberals judge people by their brains (or lack thereof), and not by their looks. So, while conservatives see a sexy, inevitable woman, liberals see a female Bush and Rush Limbaugh all rolled up into one. So, no, liberals are not jealous of Palin in the least.

January 23, 2009 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  9. Matt Shine

I liked John McCain back before this past election cycle. Had he picked somebody like Colin Powell as his VP and ran the same kind of race he did in 2000, hell I might have voted for him and he may well have won.

While it is true that Obama might also lack the McCain or even Hillary level of expierence, Obama admitted that he wanted the best of the best around him. I can respect when a person acknowledges the fact that they don't know everything. He made his former rival his SOS and wants to deal with McCain specifically.

Besides, the whole 'soccer mom' 'joe sixpack' nonesense was kind of insulting to me at a time when seriousness was needed. I just felt that Palin never 'got it'.

January 23, 2009 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  10. John

@Big NB,

I always want to see Sarah Palin, She is very funny, She actually makes Dubya sound smart. LOL

January 23, 2009 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  11. ss

Biggest role Palin could play would to dig a very big hole and climb into it. McShame can cover it up.

January 23, 2009 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  12. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

Yes, there too, also...you can see Russian from land in Alaska you betcha!

January 23, 2009 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  13. chel

Just stop with the nonsense mccain. You have no gabanzas! It shows all around. Just stand up for yourself and tell how inept that person is! i hope az drops you altogether.

January 23, 2009 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  14. Len

Please, oh please let Sarah be the face of the GOP in the future.
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

January 23, 2009 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  15. cj

Palin is one of the dumbest people I have ever heard speak. She is white trash, uncouth and amazingly unenlightened.

January 23, 2009 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  16. justin

i wish mccain and palin would of won then gov. palin would of been perfect as president in 2012. Im a veteran of the global war on terror and i think its pathetic how president obama wants to close gitmo and will destroy our standing in the world that it has taking 8 long years of fighting to re-establish our country as one not to terrorise.

January 23, 2009 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  17. Jeff in Illinois

John, if she has a big role to play in the future Republican party, it might be wise to join another party more likely to be one of the top 2, like the Green Party, or the Mickey Mouse Party, or the United Political Party of People with 7 Legs. If Palin is more than a ridiculous blip in the Republican Party, then the party is doomed forever.

January 23, 2009 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  18. TJM

Excuse me, but, isn't McCain known for "straight talk?" Something tells me he's pulling punches here.

January 23, 2009 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  19. Bacchus999

Franky I agree with you ..... I dont personally hate Palin , I have little respect for her though , her interviews showed how backwards she is and not ready for any higher office than where shes at. She would not be able to handle being governor in a state like California, or New York. She is govenor of a state that has twice as much money given to them then they pay out in taxes. If not for Oil Sarah Palin would be facing the same problems as the rest of the country. Its easy to be well liked as govenor when you increased the amount of money each citizen got from $1500 to $2700 a person. This woman has a seeping blackness to her , cant explain it. I liked John Mccain till he picked her

January 23, 2009 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  20. catherine

Snoozy – we NOW have a real shot at making the country whole again

January 23, 2009 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  21. Paul Lennon

January 23, 2009 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  22. proudliberal-independent

she'll never win a national election, until she gets rid of her baby polar bear mittens....,

January 23, 2009 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  23. Roy

'Amazing lady with grace and kindness?' 'Leadership aura'???
    Who the heck have you two been watching???
    I watched the whole campaign...I saw a self-centered (look she has a book deal!!), glory seeking political hack who could not handle a simple interview, and fought her own party's campaign strategy (and continues to complain about it!).
    It scares me that this person actually is in charge of a National Guard unit.....like Bush, she considers anhyone who does not agfree with her to be immoral and wrong......
    McCain is probably going to tell her privately to LAY OFF.

January 23, 2009 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  24. Da Professor

McCain ... loves her?
    Gee ... could the Senator be in the throes of senelity?

January 23, 2009 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  25. Greyghost

Jhn in Atlanta, I have been to Alaska, Ohio, Nebraska, and Georgia ... I would pick Alaska over the other three. They are all nice places, but Alaska takes the prize for all around beauty and fantastic people. They may seem a bit 'backwoodsy' to you city people, but then I think you would feel the same about Lincoln, Jefferson, and Washington. Many of our greatest statesmen have been the 'backwoodsy', down to earth types.
    If YOU move to NY City, you will be called a hick, hillbilly, or redneck.

January 23, 2009 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |