January 23rd, 2009
8 months ago

McCain says he and Palin plan to meet this month

CNN

Watch McCain discuss his relationship with Palin.

(CNN) – Despite the post-election battle between Sarah Palin and John McCain's campaign advisors, the former Republican presidential candidate told CNN’s Larry King both members of the GOP ticket remain “very close.”

McCain — who has been edging his way back into the spotlight Palin never quite left - dismissed questions over his running mate’s criticism of his campaign team. “Listen, I think the world of Governor Palin, her husband Todd, her family, I'm honored that she would run with me,” he said in an interview Thursday.

“And look, whenever there is a losing campaign there is always a little bit of back and forth, and it happens post-mortem. I am so grateful to have her as a friend, and I believe that she represents a lot to the Republican Party in the future. I think she has a big role to play.”

Palin and senior McCain aides, many of them anonymous, have traded criticism since the Republican ticket’s defeat.

Last month, the Alaska governor told Human Events that following the campaign’s media strategy was her biggest regret of the race. “I was not allowed to do very many interviews, and the interviews that I did were not necessarily those I would have chosen,” she said. “But I was so thankful to have the opportunity to run with John McCain that I was not going to argue with the strategy decisions that some of his people were making regarding the media contacts...if I would have been in charge, I would have wanted to speak to more reporters, because that’s how you get your message out to the electorate.”

The Arizona senator would not tell King Thursday whether he was personally stung by Palin’s criticism of his top aides. “Look, we're very close friends, and I talk to her all the time and look forward to seeing her, I think, in a week or so,” he said. “We're very close.”

McCain also side-stepped the question of whether he’d ever raised those comments with her. “Oh - these things always happen in campaigns,” he said. “She has my respect and my affection and that's undying.”

Last month, he told an interviewer Sarah Palin could not necessarily count on his support his former running mate if she chose to run for president.

"I can't say something like that. We've got some great other young governors,” he told ABC then. “I think you're going to see the governors assume a greater leadership role in our Republican Party," he said, citing Governors Tim Pawlenty of Minnesota and Jon Huntsman of Utah.

“...Have no doubt of my admiration and respect for her and my view of her viability, but at this stage, again … my corpse is still warm, you know?"

Filed under: John McCain • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. you betcha 2012

I love Sarah Palin knows how to work hard, and not let nasty smears get in her way. she has a backbone of steel! I love that in a leader, and I hope she runs again, so she can prove a nay-Sayers wrong!!

January 22, 2009 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  2. Lois, Ont., Canada

When is she ever going away? The only thing she could write in her book is about moose hunting & a recipe for making moose stew. she is pathetic & is doing herself harm the way she carries on. I am sure she is a good Govener & should stay there.

January 22, 2009 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  3. Mary Ridenhour

As a mom and grandmother, my advice to Mrs. Palin is: spend less time talking to the bloggers about your children and more time talking to your children, about - you know, birth control, importance of education. All she does is for show and political aspirations. Thank goodness the American voters didn't go stupid this time. Sarah, you need to get back to basics and clean up your own house and stop the incessant whinning just because you crave the attention.

January 22, 2009 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  4. Hillary supporter

Sarah is all class. she loves all americans!
    The notion that she is some sort of obsessive partisan is a media propagated myth.

January 22, 2009 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  5. Amy-GA

Thank you Sarah for putting that up. Sarah Palin has more experience than Obama and Biden put together. She is very vital to our security. But the media would rather no one know about those things, they saw to that during the time she was campaigning. The media kept the people in the dark about Mrs.Palin's credentials on purpose. They don't want real change she could have brought to Washington. Afraid it would really be cleaned up if she and McCain had came into office.

January 22, 2009 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  6. Hillary supporter

Sarah is awesome because she worked her way to the top with the little money she had , and not through some rich big wig family.

January 22, 2009 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  7. Perplexed in America

Sarah, with so much "expertize", why is she so dumb?

January 22, 2009 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  8. Greta Palinannitylimbaughbeck

Sarah Baracuda:

And just who does Ms. Palin have "interpret" these also-too-such-as briefings and trade agreements? Surely not Todd, the snowmachine driver.

January 22, 2009 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  9. Lauren

Let all the insults and slams begin, because all of you who did not vote for McCain and Palin simply can not keep your insults to yourself, even AFTER your man got sworn in.

January 22, 2009 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  10. pat C.

if she has all this experience, why didn't she talk about her achievments? she does not have the mentality to talk about any of these issues. her ignorance shows as soon as she opens her mouth. i do not believe she understands any form of government especially forign policy. she just came off to dumb when asked about anything.
    mccain is foolish to be seen chatting with this dump woman.

January 22, 2009 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  11. Putin still invading Alaskan airspace between Palin's ears

You bet'cha ... (winky, winky). For someone who allegedly despises the "got'cha media", she sure seeks the limelight like a deprived house plant.

January 22, 2009 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  12. LF Oneto - VA

McCain – Palin 2012... Hey they thought they could do it in 2008, why not in 2012?

January 22, 2009 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  13. Blue is my favourite colour

@ Sarah Baracuda:
    The problem is that you are touting Sarah's experience that any coastal state governor has had to deal with. If they aren't flying overhead, they are patroling our waters–or trying to enter in from our northern or southern borders, so she's not distinguishing herself there.

Believe me, if Russian Bear bombers were pushing the envelope in the airspace above Alaska, it was not to test the mettle of a female governor of Alaska. I'm afraid NORAD would have a run at them before she even dialed the phone to the DOD. Homeland Security makes it a practice to give briefings to any coastal state where they could be breached by any unfriendlies. Again, not much to talk about.

It's not about what she is charged with in her role, it's whether she's qualified to do the job, and until she proves otherwise, I'll stick to those who have the intellegence and experience to hold those positions. A degree in journalism is not helpful either, she needs to get a masters in political science, or become a consitutional lawyer, or perhaps work with legislation on a national level. She's qualified to be governor of Alaska, not president of our country–and likely will never be–and her family won't withstand the heavy scrutiny and background checks either.

January 22, 2009 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  14. Mary Ridenhour

To sarah baracuda: your grammar needs a little work if we're to take you seriously. Learn the difference between "it's" and "its". It's usually taught in the 2nd or 3rd grades. It explains so much, though, that you don't know the difference.

January 22, 2009 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  15. Thomas

I hope he can teach her a little about how and when to open her mouth!

January 22, 2009 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  16. Putin still invading Alaskan airspace between Palin's ears

My view is that she has the viability of a potted house plant.

January 22, 2009 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  17. Bafun

@ Sarah baracuda

Did she trade the furs of the wolves she killed from her helicopter?

But anyway we have to feel very safe if Sarah Palin protects us...

January 22, 2009 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  18. you betcha 2012

Sarah is so engaged with everything, and brings that charismatic charm wherever she goes. The notion that she is some sort of obsessive partisan is a liberal propagated myth.

January 22, 2009 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  19. mike

I think they should include Joe the Plumber in their meetings.

January 22, 2009 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  20. julie

Those who disrespect Sarah Palin are only disrespecting themselves. If there were a compilation (and there may be somewhere) of all the unprecedented vitriolic slander directed at this absolutely charming intelligent and RESPECTFUL woman, it would deserve a place of honor in a Hall Of Shame.
    I have come to the conclusion that certain types of people need scapegoats and sacrificial victims to satisfy some kind of atavistic sadism that compels them to attack what is beautiful and good. Any NORMAL human being, would be able to see that Sarah Palin is a Queen among women and among politicians, and agree or disagree with her policies and positions, afford the high respect that is her DUE, that she DESERVES, for her honest work on behalf of the American People and her lifelong efforts to live in a loving, intelligent and moral life..

January 22, 2009 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  21. Abe

Sarah Baracuda,
    The Alaskan Air National Guard as part of the United States Air Force is under the command of POTUS who is the CIC. If Russia were to provoke a war, it'll not be up to Gov. Palin to decide on an appropriate response because that's beyond her mandate and jurisdiction.

And, enough with Gov. Palin already. She has been tested and found wanting.

January 22, 2009 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  22. alvino

Watch your back, Johnny Mack!

Sarah is not happy that your campaign did not use her full potential.

January 22, 2009 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  23. reggie

The governor thinks the worlfd of Sen McCain. It's nice to see two politicians actually have genuine feelings for each other. It's always nice to see her in the news.

January 22, 2009 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  24. sue

Bimbo Barbie – you better find someone to write this comic strip for you, because if you write like you talk and think – God forbid! Just go away. We don't even want you as our governor. Stick you head up a moose butt and be gone!

January 22, 2009 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  25. Deborah Moore, St. Paul, MN

John McCain is a fine example of how one should behave after a defeat.

Sadly, Governor Palin is behaving like a spoiled child. Please read her remarks about her adult, unwed mother/daughter.

Sarah Palin is coming across as a whiney, witchy sore loser. And it is not a pretty sight.

As to her book deal: who will her ghost writer be? Having heard her and read her statements, it is hard to believe that she could compose a sentence that is coherent.

Sadly – it will sell millions.

January 22, 2009 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |