January 23rd, 2009
3 months ago

McCain says he and Palin plan to meet this month

CNN

Watch McCain discuss his relationship with Palin.

(CNN) – Despite the post-election battle between Sarah Palin and John McCain's campaign advisors, the former Republican presidential candidate told CNN’s Larry King both members of the GOP ticket remain “very close.”

McCain — who has been edging his way back into the spotlight Palin never quite left - dismissed questions over his running mate’s criticism of his campaign team. “Listen, I think the world of Governor Palin, her husband Todd, her family, I'm honored that she would run with me,” he said in an interview Thursday.

“And look, whenever there is a losing campaign there is always a little bit of back and forth, and it happens post-mortem. I am so grateful to have her as a friend, and I believe that she represents a lot to the Republican Party in the future. I think she has a big role to play.”

Palin and senior McCain aides, many of them anonymous, have traded criticism since the Republican ticket’s defeat.

Last month, the Alaska governor told Human Events that following the campaign’s media strategy was her biggest regret of the race. “I was not allowed to do very many interviews, and the interviews that I did were not necessarily those I would have chosen,” she said. “But I was so thankful to have the opportunity to run with John McCain that I was not going to argue with the strategy decisions that some of his people were making regarding the media contacts...if I would have been in charge, I would have wanted to speak to more reporters, because that’s how you get your message out to the electorate.”

The Arizona senator would not tell King Thursday whether he was personally stung by Palin’s criticism of his top aides. “Look, we're very close friends, and I talk to her all the time and look forward to seeing her, I think, in a week or so,” he said. “We're very close.”

McCain also side-stepped the question of whether he’d ever raised those comments with her. “Oh - these things always happen in campaigns,” he said. “She has my respect and my affection and that's undying.”

Last month, he told an interviewer Sarah Palin could not necessarily count on his support his former running mate if she chose to run for president.

"I can't say something like that. We've got some great other young governors,” he told ABC then. “I think you're going to see the governors assume a greater leadership role in our Republican Party," he said, citing Governors Tim Pawlenty of Minnesota and Jon Huntsman of Utah.

“...Have no doubt of my admiration and respect for her and my view of her viability, but at this stage, again … my corpse is still warm, you know?"

Filed under: John McCain • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. mk

how can they be close? He hardly knew her, they ran together for what 8 weeks? CLOSE??....

January 22, 2009 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  2. Palin 2012

FIGHT THE SMEARS! sarah is a good person

January 22, 2009 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  3. Ilona Hussein Proud Canadian

Folks, do you really think that Sarah Palin has anything
    even close to interesting that she can fill her "book" with?

Give me a break, if Palin's book is even the slightest bit
    successful, it will be because we have bought into her
    constant lies and rhetoric!

What is she going to write about? THE BRIDGE TO
    NOWHERE? SHE WAS FOR IT BEFORE SHE WAS
    AGAINST IT? HER ABSTINANCE ONLY BIRTH CONTROL
    EVEN THOUGH THIS DID NOT STOP HER TEENAGE
    DAUGHTER FROM GETTING PREGNANT? HER $180,000
    ELECTION WARDROBE, COMPLETE WITH SILK BOXERS
    FOR HER FIRST DUDE?HER ABUSE OF POWER FOR
    HER OWN PERSONAL GAIN? HER CHARGING THE PEOPLE
    OF ALASKA FOR 300 PLUS DAYS, WHILE SHE WAS IN HER
    OWN HOME?

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEEEEEEEEEEEEASE TELL ME
    THAT WE ARE SMARTER THAN SARAH THINKS WE ARE!

HOW CAN ANYTHING THAT SARAH HAS TO SAY, HAVE
    ANY COMPARISON TO THE LIVES OF BILL/HILLARY
    CLINTON OR PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA?

OOOOOOOOOOPS, I FORGOT SHE HUNTS ANIMALS BY
    RUNNING THEM DOWN IN A HELICOPTER!

January 22, 2009 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  4. believe

the only role this woman needs is a roll of toilet paper.

January 22, 2009 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  5. Proud American

John McCain if you love this country as much as you say don't ever repeat the Idiot Palin name again. Sarah Palin cannot stand to see Obama receiving the attention he's getting and have to say something to get into the media.

January 22, 2009 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  6. Flex

We should pass a constitutional amendment banning hunters from becoming president.

January 22, 2009 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  7. Craig - Hastings, MN

YAWN!!!!!!!!!! Who gives a hoot in hell? Maybe she could loan old Johnnie some money from her book deal. Provided anybody reads the book which I won't . I've had all I can stomach of Palin.

January 22, 2009 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  8. Anonymous

Palin Rocks!!!

January 22, 2009 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  9. Joe from Pennsyltucky

As a Palin supporter, I think that she should wait for the media to cool off a bit before she reenters the spotlight.

January 22, 2009 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  10. bern

McCain is wasting his time. Palin is the biggest loser.

January 22, 2009 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  11. Sue

Funny, Sarah, I was just reading the official "Governor's Duties" in the Alaska Constitution, and it says "He." Are you sure she can BE governor?

And I just read Michigan's Constitution which states "The Governor shall be Commander in Chief of the armed Forces." So Palin is not unique..we have the Great Lakes to monitor–she has the her borders. But both women (and I suspect, every Governor) is CIC in their state. The National Guards are called out by Governors as needed.

And if she "routinely" meets with heads of state, why hasn't she actually met any of them? She was asked which heads of state she had met, and she stammered around the question.
    And the fancy named 49th Missile Defense Battalion? Manned by 110 Alaska National Guardsmen.
    Again, if these groups are so important to our national defense, and Palin is really involved in their work and missions, why didn't she bring that up when asked?
    Either she was star struck in interviews, not prepared, or she really doesn't do well under pressure. In any case, she is not anywhere near capable of leading the nation.
    And to the person who thinks she has great moral character, she reportedly had an affair with Todd's partner; her teen daughter is still unwed and a mother, and who knows what other symbols of her morality are out there? Someone can preach and not act. If she really wants back on the national scene, she will have to learn to speak proper English, organize her thoughts a little better, and tell the truth about herself. Oh, and stop lying about her opponent to get votes from the base.

January 22, 2009 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  12. HouseDiva

LMFAO at the picture to this article with the caption under it....CNN ya'll know ya'll wrong....

anything to sell a story i guess.

January 22, 2009 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  13. Art

Nobody cares! Palin is taking herself way too seriously, doesn't she know her 15 minutes has come and gone?

January 22, 2009 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  14. Craig - Hastings, MN

Dear Sarah. Scares the hell out of me. SHE LOST- Big time. Get over it.

January 22, 2009 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  15. Jack in VA

I like her. Granted, she doesn't fit the mold of most politicians. But, that's why I like her.

January 22, 2009 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  16. MK

Well that does it for me! If McCain the loser thinks she has a future in the GOP then it must be true, he really does want her to fail!

January 22, 2009 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  17. Jeannie

Stop talking about Palin like a bunch of bitter enemies and the right MIGHT give your chosen one a chance! Its easy to sit there in your chair in your robe and bash someone isen't it? LOSERS!

January 22, 2009 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  18. hello

palin can't stand that cindy was getting a little attention, she had to jump back into the arrogant peoples spotlight.

January 22, 2009 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  19. GMorgan

To Sarah baracuda: But she can see Russia from her house... Even with all she is responsible for, it is evident that she is not fit for anything other than town crier. It is unfortunate that you waste your breath on such an unworthy person in any forum. She exposed her hand when the chips were at there highest and failed abysmally. Let me repeat that...abysmally. She in effect exposed the lackluster leadership in the Republican Party that will be with us for some time.

If Sarah the "Town Crier" is all the Republican Party has for the future, then I weep for the future for the Republican Party.

Maybe that is not a bad thing considering the travesty that was the Republican White House for the last eight years.

January 22, 2009 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  20. lmc in Seattle

I would advise Senator McCain, who seems patriotic enough to put aside differences and work with the Obama administration, to steer clear of Palin. She brought down his campaign, is petty, and divisive. Any further association can only harm him! Palin is clearly out to make a big name for herself. I don't think it's a positive name at this point!!

January 22, 2009 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  21. Bryan

sweet. liberals.

i've found a home.

January 22, 2009 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  22. Willy Brown

Sarah I'd give the old nag a swif kick in the backside for blowing it when he ran to Washington D.C. for 2 days to do nothing but carp.

January 22, 2009 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  23. Lost in Texas Forever

well if one follows the lead of self-proclaimed GOP leader Rush Limbaugh, who only today said that he wishes nothing but FAILURE for the Obama administration, John McCain is NOT a real Republican anyway and Sarah Palin is. So what could these two find to talk about? Since Sen McCain still considers Gov Palin to be a friend perhaps he should ask her why she didn't come out and defend him when the guy he made famous :"Joe the Plumber" threw him under the bus after the campaign and declared that Sarah was the "real thing"! A true friend would not have allowed such a public diss.

January 22, 2009 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  24. CR

To the poster listed as Sarah Baracuda:
    It was well established during the campaign that Palin has no authority over the Alaska National Guard. If anything you said in your e-mail regarding her security briefings and trade experience is true she would have been able to say something of substance during her press interviews. Instead all she was able to do is repeat talking points and talk around the question.

January 22, 2009 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  25. agnes

OMG, John, Palin represents the death of the Republican party. She is a dinosaur!

January 22, 2009 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |