January 23rd, 2009
3 months ago

McCain says he and Palin plan to meet this month

CNN

Watch McCain discuss his relationship with Palin.

(CNN) – Despite the post-election battle between Sarah Palin and John McCain's campaign advisors, the former Republican presidential candidate told CNN’s Larry King both members of the GOP ticket remain “very close.”

McCain — who has been edging his way back into the spotlight Palin never quite left - dismissed questions over his running mate’s criticism of his campaign team. “Listen, I think the world of Governor Palin, her husband Todd, her family, I'm honored that she would run with me,” he said in an interview Thursday.

“And look, whenever there is a losing campaign there is always a little bit of back and forth, and it happens post-mortem. I am so grateful to have her as a friend, and I believe that she represents a lot to the Republican Party in the future. I think she has a big role to play.”

Palin and senior McCain aides, many of them anonymous, have traded criticism since the Republican ticket’s defeat.

Last month, the Alaska governor told Human Events that following the campaign’s media strategy was her biggest regret of the race. “I was not allowed to do very many interviews, and the interviews that I did were not necessarily those I would have chosen,” she said. “But I was so thankful to have the opportunity to run with John McCain that I was not going to argue with the strategy decisions that some of his people were making regarding the media contacts...if I would have been in charge, I would have wanted to speak to more reporters, because that’s how you get your message out to the electorate.”

The Arizona senator would not tell King Thursday whether he was personally stung by Palin’s criticism of his top aides. “Look, we're very close friends, and I talk to her all the time and look forward to seeing her, I think, in a week or so,” he said. “We're very close.”

McCain also side-stepped the question of whether he’d ever raised those comments with her. “Oh - these things always happen in campaigns,” he said. “She has my respect and my affection and that's undying.”

Last month, he told an interviewer Sarah Palin could not necessarily count on his support his former running mate if she chose to run for president.

"I can't say something like that. We've got some great other young governors,” he told ABC then. “I think you're going to see the governors assume a greater leadership role in our Republican Party," he said, citing Governors Tim Pawlenty of Minnesota and Jon Huntsman of Utah.

“...Have no doubt of my admiration and respect for her and my view of her viability, but at this stage, again … my corpse is still warm, you know?"

Filed under: John McCain • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Tim, Seattle

You folks clinging to some phantom thought that Sarah has a future in politics. She is a MORON.
    Spin it however you like, she cant handle a simple question. She cant think without a predefined script in front of her. We dont care if she presides over the national guard of Alaska, dont care if she can see Russia from her house. GOP, just keep looking for a leader among the chaffe of a decimated party. Your time, failed ideas and Palin's are over
    She knows nothing about the economy, or nearly any other issue except special needs kids. Thats great, but she just isnt good enough, sorry repubs...keep looking.
    What the country is dealing with right now, she just doesnt measure up. Not now or in 8 years or ever.
    So sorry that its true

January 22, 2009 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  2. beckyinOhio

Sarah baracuda – dear, do you truly believe that she makes high level decisions for the CIC? the 49th Missile Defense Battalion? If the button is pushed it's not her decision. She will be notified.
    As for her having more experience than Joe Biden with foreign heads of states you are dead wrong!
    Check your facts.

January 22, 2009 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  3. Right-Wing Dem

Sarah Palin is going to surprise a lot of people in the next few years. The liberal left-wing Dumbocrat detractors hate her with a passion that defies all logic. That alone makes her attractive to most conservatives. Add her obvious star power and her ability to the fact that she is blunt when speaking about where she stands on some of the more controversial issues almost guarantees that she will run for President some day.
    I laugh when all these so-called political experts speak of the demise of the Republican Party. It has only been a few years ago when the same was being said of the Dumbocrat party. The main reason the Republican Party took such a beating this time was because they ran into a very strong opponent in President Obama. His Coattails dragged a multitude of so-so Democrats into office. Once his time in office is over, (whether 4 or 8 years remains to be seen), the Republicans will come back with a vengeance because a candidate of Obama's oratory skills and charisma doesn't come along very often.

January 22, 2009 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  4. Ex-Republican

I swear to god, that picture looks like a freeze frame from a sitcom....perhaps it's from: "Mork & Mindy: 20 Year Reunion"

January 22, 2009 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  5. eddy

OK FOR THE LAST TIME.WHY IS THIS NETWORK COVERING ANYTHING CONCERNING THIS ILLITERATE B--.ARE U FOLKS JUST AS BRAIN DEAD AS HER.PITYYYYYYYYYYY ON U ALL.WHY DON'T THESE REPORTERS EARN A LIVING WITH SOMETHING WORTH WHILE AND NOT FILLING SPACE.WHEN ARE U GOING TO GET IT IN YOUR THICK HEADS THAT NOONE CARES.

January 22, 2009 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  6. Average Joe

Palin,Rush and Coulter what a great show that would be.It would be like the 3 stooges.

January 22, 2009 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  7. bill, alabama

I did not vote for Mr. McCain, but I have a great deal of respect for him. He should know that he needs to stay far, far, away from that woman! He should not make the same mistake twice!

January 22, 2009 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  8. Colin the Salesman

He should remind her that without her being brought onto the ticket, she would be another obscure govenor that few people outside of her state would have ever heard of. She owes him everything, so for her to carp and whine about the campaign shows a complete lack of gratitude. By the same token, she was badly used by a campaign that should have known better than to get such a raving egomaniac as a VP candidate. The purpose of the VP is to provide balance, and her selection showed impulsiveness and a lack of forethought.

January 22, 2009 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  9. Linda

She does have an important role. One that acctually accomplishes things, and does what she says.

The best rated Governor in our country, unseated same party incumbent and has been doing great work for Alaska, energy and her citizens.

Auuh, real leadership, what a change!

And after Obambi and the Democrats spending spree, NOT HELPING MAINSTREET, but helping their donors, Governor Palin will win in a landslide!

I guess McCain wasn't conservative enough, too much waffling, they wanted Sarah! This was the plan, and she will bring the Republicans to power for decades.

January 22, 2009 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  10. you betcha 2012

Sarah palin is much smarter then you libs would like to think. you obots are just filled with the tina fey nonsense, and not the real deal.

January 22, 2009 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  11. LisaB

Who cares! McCain is half dead and Palin is brain dead. Let her make her money, she knows she is finished politically. I hope that Palin is the frontrunner for the Repubs the next go round. Obama can start "measuring the drapes" again.I will hold the ladder steady. If these two clowns are all the GOP has, I am one happy Democrat!

I will always vote for the guy with one house with the woman who buys her own clothes.

January 22, 2009 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  12. aware

We will need Governor Sarah Palin as PBHO tanks. He never was a viable candidate just a media created myth and big bucks shoe-in.

PBHO is pragmatic and politically expedient but has no wisdom, experience, or moral center! :(

Governor Sarah Palin is authentic, transparent, experienced, has a moral center and certainly has more wisdom than PBHO! :)

January 22, 2009 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  13. Jan

CR January 22nd, 2009 7:39 pm ET
    To the poster listed as Sarah Baracuda:
    It was well established during the campaign that Palin has no authority over the Alaska National Guard.
    ----------
    CR - please back up your assertion with facts.

January 22, 2009 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  14. Gil

Well, we would have "Larry and Moe" what about "Curley?"

January 22, 2009 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  15. Vegas Barbie for Obama

To Ernie in LA: I can SAY President Palin, but she couldn't spell it.

January 22, 2009 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  16. Moodyblue

John,

I can forgive you for a lot of things, such as being not quite the maverick you used to be. But Dude, honestly, you opened the Mother of all Pandora's Boxes by having picked SP as your running mate. It was you John who gave her reason to think she's far more relevant then she really is. And not only did she bring down your ship, we're stuck with her for years to come. John, you have a trophy wife – why in the world did you have to make sex appeal a job requisite for VP?

January 22, 2009 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  17. jamie

Gov. Sarah Palin would have been a great president. Its to bad uniformed americans bought into the myth that sarah palin was unqualified .

January 22, 2009 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  18. Pam

CNN, PLEASE DO AN ARTICLE ON WHAT YOU "DEEM APPROPRIATE" IN POSTING COMMENTS (see below). Please explain why relatively inoccuous comments (albeit NOT pro-Obama) stay "in moderation" for weeks and weeks, while pro-Obama commentators get posted multiple times instantly. As a company utilizing public cyberspace — YOU OWE YOUR READERSHIP THAT MUCH!
    (Comments are moderated by CNN, in accordance with the CNN Comment Policy, and may not appear on this blog until they have been reviewed and deemed appropriate for posting. Also, due to the volume of comments we receive, not all comments will be posted.)

January 22, 2009 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  19. barbara campbell

Who would read a book by Palin? Better yet, who would write it?

January 22, 2009 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  20. DL

Those of us who are Palin supporters encourage you liberals to keep playing this "if she runs in 2012, Obama is guaranteed a second term" card.

You will perpetuate this comment over the next four years and carry her directly to the White House. Thank You.

You might want to practice saying "Madame President."

Palin 2012.

January 22, 2009 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  21. Tim, Seattle

Ernie said "Isn't that making all you Palin haters really mad. She is going to write a book, inspire a movie and just make millions of dollars while all of you poor haters put her down."

No, Ernie, what makes us mad are peole who think Sarah is relevant or has a brain. Its frustrating that people are that dumb. I dont hate her. I dont like her views (if they are hers) and I dont think she is intelligent enough to deal with a serious political position or issue

Oh, and the book? Dont care at all. if she sells a million copies At least that way we can quantify how many people are stupid enough to take her seriously.

January 22, 2009 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  22. Willy Brown

The fact that the leftwing mud slingers are still bashing Sarah tells me that they are really scared she will run and win in 2012.

January 22, 2009 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  23. Linda

John MCcain is a good man. After everything Palin have blamed him for, he's still willing to have a sit down with her. This is the MCcain i would have voted for, instead of this Good parts America and Bad parts America MCcain.

January 22, 2009 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  24. paul (staunch Moderate)

Sarah baracuda. January 22nd, 2009 6:34 pm ET

Lady – you have GOT to be kidding... Not much there in the way of completion of thought; not much in the way of truth. Gov Palin is the CIC??? CIC of WHAT? The Alaskan state helicopter maybe (if they have one).

As a Gov, what does she have to trade?

You're as light in the head as Palin.

January 22, 2009 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  25. Linda in MS

No, Ernie. I cannot say "President Palin"...at least not with a straight face. I also don't care if she makes millions of dollars on her book. I would rather be who I am than than Sarah Palin any day. The only reaction she gets out of me laughter.

January 22, 2009 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |