January 23rd, 2009
7 months ago

McCain says he and Palin plan to meet this month

CNN

Watch McCain discuss his relationship with Palin.

(CNN) – Despite the post-election battle between Sarah Palin and John McCain's campaign advisors, the former Republican presidential candidate told CNN’s Larry King both members of the GOP ticket remain “very close.”

McCain — who has been edging his way back into the spotlight Palin never quite left - dismissed questions over his running mate’s criticism of his campaign team. “Listen, I think the world of Governor Palin, her husband Todd, her family, I'm honored that she would run with me,” he said in an interview Thursday.

“And look, whenever there is a losing campaign there is always a little bit of back and forth, and it happens post-mortem. I am so grateful to have her as a friend, and I believe that she represents a lot to the Republican Party in the future. I think she has a big role to play.”

Palin and senior McCain aides, many of them anonymous, have traded criticism since the Republican ticket’s defeat.

Last month, the Alaska governor told Human Events that following the campaign’s media strategy was her biggest regret of the race. “I was not allowed to do very many interviews, and the interviews that I did were not necessarily those I would have chosen,” she said. “But I was so thankful to have the opportunity to run with John McCain that I was not going to argue with the strategy decisions that some of his people were making regarding the media contacts...if I would have been in charge, I would have wanted to speak to more reporters, because that’s how you get your message out to the electorate.”

The Arizona senator would not tell King Thursday whether he was personally stung by Palin’s criticism of his top aides. “Look, we're very close friends, and I talk to her all the time and look forward to seeing her, I think, in a week or so,” he said. “We're very close.”

McCain also side-stepped the question of whether he’d ever raised those comments with her. “Oh - these things always happen in campaigns,” he said. “She has my respect and my affection and that's undying.”

Last month, he told an interviewer Sarah Palin could not necessarily count on his support his former running mate if she chose to run for president.

"I can't say something like that. We've got some great other young governors,” he told ABC then. “I think you're going to see the governors assume a greater leadership role in our Republican Party," he said, citing Governors Tim Pawlenty of Minnesota and Jon Huntsman of Utah.

“...Have no doubt of my admiration and respect for her and my view of her viability, but at this stage, again … my corpse is still warm, you know?"

Filed under: John McCain • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Franky

Senator McCain is cool, leave him alone and quite frankly, I guess is not much of a surprise that they still talk. I think that's cool they still talk...

I don't know, that screen name vegas barbie for obama, that's a hot screen name, LOL!! Now that's substance baby...

January 22, 2009 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  2. ginger

I didn't like Sarah Palin because she got down in the mud and incited hate and fear. I don't like any person who behaves this way including my own mother. Oh, Ernie when you wake up from dreaming let us know.

January 22, 2009 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  3. Linda in MS

OOPs, I forgot "is" in the last sentence.

January 22, 2009 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  4. Sarah Baracuda

becky: you are dead wrong. Biden did not get the same regular breifings as Gov. Palin. Palin has an executive position, and Biden did not. Biden was a lawmaker with zero leadership exp. I have the facts, and you don't.

January 22, 2009 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  5. Suet

Palin will kill what ever chances the GOP has left........she is not VP or President material and I wish the Republican party would get the ba#*s to tell her to back off and forget it, that they used her and she doesn't have what it takes to run in 2012 or another year......where is this woman going to get the money to run a campaign? What ever she does she won't make it pass the primary's in any election.

January 22, 2009 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  6. SC

This comment is a reference to Palin's book deal. I understand this doesn't belong here but the place where it belongs no longer accepts any further comments beyond its planned quota.

Palin has secured Robert Barnett's service to negotiate a lucrative book deal. Robert is a lawyer who negotiated some book deals in the past for Bill & Hillary Clinton, Obama & his campaign manager David Plouffe, all of whom Palin would consider evil & liberal. Palin would consider everyone bad, immoral & unpatriotic if an individual's ideals or principles don't fall squarely with hers. Given all that, she is still willing to deal with Robert when it comes to advancing her agenda. What does it tell you? That means she will say and do anything and everything for her own ego. That's what happened during the campaign. She said, did and attacked people just to be able to cling onto the VP spot. She & Ann Coulter make everyone left, right & middle sick.

January 22, 2009 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  7. Joanna

"BEGONE SATAN!" (hello Shamu)

January 22, 2009 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  8. Julie Jellyfish

Maj. Gen. Craig Campbell, adjutant general of the Alaska National Guard, in an interview with The Associated Press on Sunday, he said he and Palin play no role in national defense activities, even when they involve the Alaska National Guard. The entire operation is under federal control, and the governor is not briefed on situations.

Sarah baracuda- you need to get your facts straight

January 22, 2009 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  9. Nobody's Fool

@Sarah baracuda.

Yours is the second comment here today that is obviously a prepared (although poorly constructed) statement from a staffer of Gov. Palin's administration. Having prepared such statements myself and among a host of other things, your sentence structure is very telling.

Before someone crushes the State with a records request seeking to detail how employees of the State of Alaska are actually using their time to serve their constituents, I would recommend you direct your energies towards helping the Governor better serve your State, rather than such wasteful attempts to salvage her image in national politics.

January 22, 2009 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  10. catmom

Hopefully when they meet McCain will tell her to cool it and stop making herself look more like a fool than she did during the primaries.

January 22, 2009 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  11. Debbie

And I was thinking how nice it's been to have been Palin-free this week.

January 22, 2009 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  12. Matt

No Ernie, but I can say President Obama, and it sounds so sweet. :)

January 22, 2009 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  13. DL

Well, Catmom, that would involve her actually having been involved in the Republican Primaries.

January 22, 2009 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  14. Perusing-Through

What do these 23 U.S. cities have in common? The Answer: All 23 cities have a population similar to or far larger than the whole state of Alaska. The mayor's of these U.S. cities carry equally or greater responsibilities than Alaska Governor Sarah Palin. I would elect the mayors of any of these cities to be Vice President before considering Palin.

New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, Phoenix, Philadelphia, San Antonio, San Diego, Dallas, San Jose, Detroit, Jacksonville, San Francisco, Indianapolis, Columbus, Austin, Fort Worth, Memphis, Charlotte, Baltimore, Boston, El Paso, Milwaukee.

January 22, 2009 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  15. cmb

To Ernie in LA

"Can you say President Palin?"

______________________________

Not with a straight face.

January 22, 2009 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  16. Patty - Grandma in Maine

It just cracks me up that all the Palin bashers complain that she won't go away. Well their beloved CNN keeps putting her on here – she isn't doing it. And furthermore, you bashers just have to believe the crap that you read that puts her down instead of reading the facts, You have no idea what you are taliking about nor do you know what is coming if she does run for president in 2012. She is far more superior than any of you – get it – that is why she is being bashed all the time because she is a force to be reckoned with. She is more honerable, ethical and trustworthy than the majority of the politicians in our government. Hang on to your hats. Palin is still here whether you like it or not. If you hate her so much why do you waste your time reading or posting about her. Now that is stupidity!!!

January 22, 2009 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  17. Carmela, Longwood, Florida

Why is this woman 'rearing her little head' out of Alaska and coming over to the 'lower 48'? Didn't she get the memo that her 15 minutes were up 3 months ago? Book deals (probably comics), TV stints (probably in FOXNews), there are a minority of people who will care about her; she is so stupid it hurts to listen to her, yet she is probably surrounded by morons who tell her she is smart. Be that as it may, there is enough money and morons to go around, and that must be the reason why even this decrepit has-been, John McCain still cannot admit the obvious: picking her was the biggest mistake of his campaign. They deserve each other.

January 22, 2009 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  18. Hillary supporter

most independents like Gov. Palin because she is real, but don't think she is ready for POTUS. her aproval rating is around 51% her alaska aproval rating is still the highest of any other GOV. because she is deeply in-touch with them at an almost Marriage level.

January 22, 2009 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  19. LA WOMAN

come to daddy baby, drill baby drill

January 22, 2009 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  20. watchdog

I like her and her family.

January 22, 2009 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  21. Carramea55

This broad makes me sick , shes such a wing nut....... Senator Mccain Palin lost you the election , wise up. Why doesnt this woman try being govenor and earn the respect. I would never support her as president and will take my friends offer to move to Uruguay if shes ever elected

January 22, 2009 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  22. LA WOMAN

SHE SHOULD TEAM UP WITH RUSH LIMBAUGH
    THE DYNAMIC DUAL

January 22, 2009 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  23. TrueIndependent

She made so many derogatory remarks about Washington, yet she wants a Washingtonian to help her get a book published.

She made derogatory remarks about the media, yet, she simply cannot stay away from the media.

Yet, some continue to fall for her B.S.

January 22, 2009 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  24. Stu-Florida

They're going to be discussing the title of Sarahs' new book...
    "Sarah Hears a Who"

January 22, 2009 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  25. arc, Lugano CH

Ernie in LA January 22nd, 2009 6:52 pm ET
    ... Can you say President Palin?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I do hope that she campaigns as the front runner in 2012. Her hate mongering of this past election season may have lost a bit of its luster and by then the majority of the world may need to be reminded of why it hates Conservative America(ns); and rightly so.

January 22, 2009 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |