January 23rd, 2009
8 months ago

McCain says he and Palin plan to meet this month

CNN

Watch McCain discuss his relationship with Palin.

(CNN) – Despite the post-election battle between Sarah Palin and John McCain's campaign advisors, the former Republican presidential candidate told CNN’s Larry King both members of the GOP ticket remain “very close.”

McCain — who has been edging his way back into the spotlight Palin never quite left - dismissed questions over his running mate’s criticism of his campaign team. “Listen, I think the world of Governor Palin, her husband Todd, her family, I'm honored that she would run with me,” he said in an interview Thursday.

“And look, whenever there is a losing campaign there is always a little bit of back and forth, and it happens post-mortem. I am so grateful to have her as a friend, and I believe that she represents a lot to the Republican Party in the future. I think she has a big role to play.”

Palin and senior McCain aides, many of them anonymous, have traded criticism since the Republican ticket’s defeat.

Last month, the Alaska governor told Human Events that following the campaign’s media strategy was her biggest regret of the race. “I was not allowed to do very many interviews, and the interviews that I did were not necessarily those I would have chosen,” she said. “But I was so thankful to have the opportunity to run with John McCain that I was not going to argue with the strategy decisions that some of his people were making regarding the media contacts...if I would have been in charge, I would have wanted to speak to more reporters, because that’s how you get your message out to the electorate.”

The Arizona senator would not tell King Thursday whether he was personally stung by Palin’s criticism of his top aides. “Look, we're very close friends, and I talk to her all the time and look forward to seeing her, I think, in a week or so,” he said. “We're very close.”

McCain also side-stepped the question of whether he’d ever raised those comments with her. “Oh - these things always happen in campaigns,” he said. “She has my respect and my affection and that's undying.”

Last month, he told an interviewer Sarah Palin could not necessarily count on his support his former running mate if she chose to run for president.

"I can't say something like that. We've got some great other young governors,” he told ABC then. “I think you're going to see the governors assume a greater leadership role in our Republican Party," he said, citing Governors Tim Pawlenty of Minnesota and Jon Huntsman of Utah.

“...Have no doubt of my admiration and respect for her and my view of her viability, but at this stage, again … my corpse is still warm, you know?"

Filed under: John McCain • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Sherrol in Canada

Senator MCain, you started acting like the Senator of old these past few weeks and the American people were slowly coming around to liking you again. Why tarnish this by meeting with that sorry woman?

January 22, 2009 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  2. legal in nc

How forgiving of Palin to meet with Johnny twoface after the way he treated her during the campaign (not supporting her when she would say something about Ayers and the like.

She's is really practicing what she preaches like a true Christian!

January 22, 2009 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  3. J from Canada

Unbelievable, I can't believe she is still in the news. This woman, however nice she may be is not anywhere near presidential- She was McCains gimmic, and a poor gimmic at that.

January 22, 2009 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  4. ty

I hope Mrs. Palin doesn't mention her assertions that there will be signs in the suns, the moons, and the stars.

January 22, 2009 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  5. JoAnne Holliday

McCain and Palin shound mind their own business it is Obvious the US People had no trust for them

January 22, 2009 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  6. Br

I hope Mrs. Palin doesn't mention her assertions that there will be signs in the suns, the moons, and the stars campaign.

January 22, 2009 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  7. tee

sarah baracuda
    You could be commander of the 176th Wing. Like Sarah, you will not have to make any decisions. if she has foreign trade experience, why didn't she mention that to Katie Couric? Once again someone else is in charge of that. I don't care how hard you try to sell her, the intelligent american are not buying th BS.

January 22, 2009 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  8. Big Ed

Why? Palin has indicated that she is was odds with the McCain campaign. After all, who knows better but someone who has never run for a national office. Sen. McCain, with all due respect: turn the page. This "Gov." is nothing but a millstone around the country's neck. Maybe when she and "The First Dude" successfully pulls Alaska from the Union, that would be something to report, otherwise she is a attention-starved never-was who can't take the heat she gives. The Palins are Alaska's "trailer trash".

January 22, 2009 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  9. Lisa

{Ernie in LA January 22nd, 2009 6:52 pm ET

Isn't that making all you Palin haters really mad. She is going to write a book, inspire a movie and just make millions of dollars while all of you poor haters put her down. Can you say President Palin?{

January 22, 2009 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  10. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Is old man McCain looking for a younger wife again or has he been told to tell Palin to shut her trap because she has nothing new to offer the party. Top GOP members have openly suggested to this ignorant woman to do her job in Alaska until she has something new to help the party.

January 22, 2009 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  11. jorge

In regards to Sarah Barracudas comment on security clearances

While it is true that most senators do not have or go through a formal security clearance process, they regularly are exposed to some of the nations most secret and protected information. I guarantee Obama, Biden, and McCain were receiving classified information that Palin could only dream of as governor.

The rest of your post as already been proven as B.S., so I just thought I would add this as well.

January 22, 2009 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  12. Xavier

The fact that the GOP base would cling to Palin only ensures that the republican party is on life support and fading fast. One thing that they should learn from Obama is that the old divisive rhetoric that Palin represents is no longer getting the job done. Palin may be a new face, but she represents all that is wrong with the GOP. BUt please, keep supporting her. It will ensure that we will never have another republican nightmare like Bush in office. Palin is W in high heels.

January 22, 2009 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  13. Rick Sutter

I love how she gets under you skin so easily.

January 22, 2009 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  14. Big Ed

Who would admit (assuming they are sober and not excessively brain-damaged) to quoting Rush "The Doctor Shopper" Limbaugh? Well if Rush praises Palin, well leave them be. Maybe this could be his fourth marriage! What a pair of self-centered, egotistical, lying, mindless pieces off Moose crap! Yo "W", we found the weapon of mass-destruction! It was right under Rush's nose – it's his mouth!

January 22, 2009 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  15. Amy Pa

Run run as far as you can from this Witch

January 22, 2009 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  16. Lisa

Ernie in LA January 22nd, 2009 6:52 pm ET

Can you say President Palin?

Ernie, "Can I say President Palin?" Hell no, I can't say it and will never say it. I am a republican as well but good grief, everyone in their "right" minds knew that ticket was doomed to fail. There was no way in hell Palin could take over as second in command. She didn't have the capacity during the election and won't have it in 2012. Get over it already!!!

Woodbridge, Virginia

January 22, 2009 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  17. Americans for an Objective Media

Anyone notice how this fake pos for a long time would not wear an american flag pin, then all of a sudden she started wearing this dual flag pin. Like she was saying, hey look at me I'm even more patriotic then everyone else I have a bigger flag pin then anyone. Just shut up already go back to alaska and try and salvage alaska, fake...

January 22, 2009 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  18. billy-bayou

Governor Palin needs to dissociate herself from McCain, he is bab nwes. Governor Palin has a bright political future and she does not need McCain slinking around and destroying it. He has already started sucking up to the obana. do not trust hin, he is two faced, slick and all for john McCain whatever the cost.

January 22, 2009 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  19. Bob

McCain-who has been edging his way back into the spotlight Palin never quite left.

Blatant media bias CNN!!! SHAME!!!

AND...You love to point out that McCain won't endorse her for pres in 2012.....Give me an example of any major politician endorsing a candidate for any office 4 yrs before the election....EVER

McCain acted wisely....and it's NOT a slam of Palin!!

January 22, 2009 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  20. Leon

I see the 3rd grade mentality name calling smug lefties are still out in force. Why don't you listen to our new Comander in Chief. You won but you are very sore winners.

January 22, 2009 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  21. Ken

to Sarah Baracuda
    "Governor Palin also has extensive foreign trade experience. "

Oh yeah -!! She didn't even know the name of the "foreign head of state" living next door after she supposedly had concluded a pipeline deal with the country and the Prime Minister of Canada.

Unbelievable!!!

January 22, 2009 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  22. Oregon calling

Mobius January 22nd, 2009 6:43 pm ET

Ya know, it's almost like the GOP *tried* to lose. Notice that?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I thought that this was were Senator McCain showed us his true patriotism, by picking Gov. Palin, he made alot of people vote for Obama! Thank you Senator McCain!!!!!!

Peace :-)

January 22, 2009 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  23. Obama Is Way Better Than Bush

YUCK!!!!!!!!!

January 22, 2009 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  24. C Spurgeon

Who cares....An old man and a whatever...

January 22, 2009 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  25. chuck

john please let sarah palin know that the best book for her is a nude book.

January 22, 2009 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |