January 23rd, 2009
6 months ago

McCain says he and Palin plan to meet this month

CNN

Watch McCain discuss his relationship with Palin.

(CNN) – Despite the post-election battle between Sarah Palin and John McCain's campaign advisors, the former Republican presidential candidate told CNN’s Larry King both members of the GOP ticket remain “very close.”

McCain — who has been edging his way back into the spotlight Palin never quite left - dismissed questions over his running mate’s criticism of his campaign team. “Listen, I think the world of Governor Palin, her husband Todd, her family, I'm honored that she would run with me,” he said in an interview Thursday.

“And look, whenever there is a losing campaign there is always a little bit of back and forth, and it happens post-mortem. I am so grateful to have her as a friend, and I believe that she represents a lot to the Republican Party in the future. I think she has a big role to play.”

Palin and senior McCain aides, many of them anonymous, have traded criticism since the Republican ticket’s defeat.

Last month, the Alaska governor told Human Events that following the campaign’s media strategy was her biggest regret of the race. “I was not allowed to do very many interviews, and the interviews that I did were not necessarily those I would have chosen,” she said. “But I was so thankful to have the opportunity to run with John McCain that I was not going to argue with the strategy decisions that some of his people were making regarding the media contacts...if I would have been in charge, I would have wanted to speak to more reporters, because that’s how you get your message out to the electorate.”

The Arizona senator would not tell King Thursday whether he was personally stung by Palin’s criticism of his top aides. “Look, we're very close friends, and I talk to her all the time and look forward to seeing her, I think, in a week or so,” he said. “We're very close.”

McCain also side-stepped the question of whether he’d ever raised those comments with her. “Oh - these things always happen in campaigns,” he said. “She has my respect and my affection and that's undying.”

Last month, he told an interviewer Sarah Palin could not necessarily count on his support his former running mate if she chose to run for president.

"I can't say something like that. We've got some great other young governors,” he told ABC then. “I think you're going to see the governors assume a greater leadership role in our Republican Party," he said, citing Governors Tim Pawlenty of Minnesota and Jon Huntsman of Utah.

“...Have no doubt of my admiration and respect for her and my view of her viability, but at this stage, again … my corpse is still warm, you know?"

Filed under: John McCain • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Gene Car

I suspect that John McCain realises that there is a deep groundswell of opinion within the GOP, that perceives that he 'through Sarah under a bus' after the election. This very fact could threahten his re-election in Arizona in 2010. Unlike McCain and indeed any previous losing VP candiadte, Governor Palin emerged from the recent election as a 'winner'. She is the third most admired person after Obama and Hillary, the most desirable celebrity neighbour, and remains the favourite within the Republican base. She is also the most searched name in cybersapce. She is also hated with the hatred of depair by the readers of the Huffington Post, the Daily Kos and other left-wing sites, which is a strong positive commendatyion in its own right. Should she win the Republican nomination in 2012, she faces almost insurmountable obstacles to winning the presidency. There is the prestige of Obama, the well financed Democratic machine and the army of Obama's ground supporters. Ninety percent of broadcast and print media will subject her to a SSJHP fest. That is a Smear, Snear, Jeer, Humiliation and Pity fest designed to destroy her and her family, which, unlike other contestants, will not be off limits. The assembled might of the femisist establishment will aid and abeit the 'search and destroy' mission of Obama and the media. Can she surrmount these obstacles? My money is on Sarah.

January 22, 2009 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  2. j

dont care

January 22, 2009 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  3. Merle

And this is a story? Okey-Dokey CNN...

January 22, 2009 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  4. Fabian

They better invite Joe the Plumber too. Just to make a perfect photo opportunity!

January 22, 2009 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  5. K. Rogers

I quit wating Fox news related to the constant buildup of Sara Palin. This woman's ego is bigger than Alaska and it appears that the media is expanding everything they have to aid her in running for a higher office. Have you peope not looked at the blogs below the stories that are printed. A great percentage is negative. Less with helping Palin. This country is at two wars, our soliders have been sent home in coffins. I believe they would want us to fight at this time for what is important. Sara Palin is narcisstic and can not stand to let even Obama or the events that are unfolding have the public's full attention. She has to pop up. I could care less about her book, congratulations. My neighbor's son was shot in Iraq today and what do I read, the first article Palin, I do not want my children, grandchildren to ever have to face a Palin era,, that is really a fear and nightmare. Go on keep praising her, I just have to believe that before it is over the truth will pervail

January 22, 2009 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  6. Jeanne

I am truly surprised that Senator McCain would condescend to associate with her now. Sarah, Your fifteen minutes are up...go away.

January 22, 2009 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  7. D-MI

Perhaps he will "accidentally" strangle her.

There's always a chance.

January 22, 2009 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  8. putergal

I love it....you guys keep dissing Palin and I just keep hearing her name over and over. You guys are so threatened by Palin it isn't even funny. Sarah Palin is a fabulous person, a complete package deal and I adore her. And you can believe me that the 60,000 people this summer that waited in the August heat to see her speak are just as excited today as they were then. She is the real deal, folks...NO MATTER WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN SPOON FED BY THE MEDIA. Think for yourselves, people. Read about the people you have opinions on. I will say this, only a scary narrcissist, egomaniac would write two memoirs by the time he/she is 40. We will see how this all works out, but Palin is here to stay because I believe in goodness and she is good.

January 22, 2009 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  9. Joe Terrogano

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

January 22, 2009 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  10. Eric

John McCain is a class act. He just didn't have a platform that the majority of the country was interested in getting behind and he was the subject of a terrible campaign.

John McCain will work with Obama to make this a better country. He may not endorse Obama's platform verbetim, but you bet he'll work hard to find common ground.

January 22, 2009 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  11. marge

Ernie in LA January 22nd, 2009 6:52 pm ET

Isn't that making all you Palin haters really mad. She is going to write a book, inspire a movie and just make millions of dollars while all of you poor haters put her down. Can you say President Palin?
    ***************************************************************************
    ((Ernie)) Can you say "Never Going To Happen"?
    Everybody that writes a book doesnt make millions of dollars ((Ernie)).
    If she doesn't dish on the McCain camp,nobody is even going to buy a book about Palin. She hasn't accomplished ANYTHING in her life worth writing about..unless somebody is interested in her decision to keep having babies!!! The only thing that is interesting in this morons life would be the few weeks she ran as VP!

January 22, 2009 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  12. Pam for America & Obama

Ernie in LS.
    Only in your dreams and IF you and other guys like buy her book. Who in God's name on the left would want it!
    IF she gets rich it will because of fools like you. Average working people would not waste their hard earned money to buy a book that was written for her. Maybe if she gets rich she can buy a "g".

January 22, 2009 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  13. Erika

How are they "so close" if she didn't even go to the ball in honor of him?

January 22, 2009 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  14. TexAnnie *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

In resonse to Sarah baracuda, the first post on here- what are you smoking???? Palin being "Commander in Chief" of the Alaska National Guard is pretty much a ceremonial position. I doubt she knows much about the operations if anything at all. If she was receiving all those security briefings you mentioned, then she sure didn't show any evidence of understanding diddly-squat about anything related to our national security during the campaign. (BTW, Biden did have a top security clearance even before he became the VP candidate.)

And just what "extensive foreign trade experience" does Palin have? You do remember that the woman didn't even have a passport until well into the campaign this past Fall, don't you?

You really need to watch something other than Fox News if you want to know the truth about what is going on in this world.

January 22, 2009 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  15. Pam for America & Obama

Ernie in LA.

January 22, 2009 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  16. Dennis from Millbrae, CA

Senator McCain would do well to put time and distance between he and Palin. She tarnishes his once great reputation but by separating himself from her he has an opportunity to be a leader and healer in the Senate and restore his reputation.

January 22, 2009 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  17. marge

Governor Palin also has extensive foreign trade experience. Governors, that have something to export, routinely meet with foreign heads of state and work on extensive trade agreements. Again, something Obama, Biden, and McCain have zero experience at.
    ****************************************************************************er ummm...WHY was it that Palin (herself) admitted she had NEVER met with a foreign head of state???? Palin has foreign trade experience with whom??? What country?
    Obama and Biden are the President and Vice President of the United States...something that Palin has zero chance of ever becoming.
    BTW...Please share with us what foreign heads of states Palin has met with.prior to her "field trip" to New York..You may also want to clue Palin in.

January 22, 2009 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  18. MLH

Is she writing it herself, or having it ghost written? There is a great deal of difference, and given her inability to communicate verbally, I will be very interested – if she writes it herself – to see if her written communications are of higher quality.

January 22, 2009 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  19. Nancy

who cares!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and who believes a word out of McCain's mouth anyhow, he is so phony!!

January 22, 2009 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  20. NC Redhead

Sarah Bar(r)acuda must be Palin's new press agent...except that she can't spell B-a-r-r-c-u-d-a.
    "Palin....commands the 49th Missile Defense Battalion"....ha! ha!ha! That's a good one. I needed a good laugh before bed.

January 22, 2009 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  21. Steve in Louisville

Maybe if they squint hard enough THEY'LL SEE RUSSIA!

January 22, 2009 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  22. m.c. in l.v.

Grandma Gimmick will never become president. She may let Bristol have another prop baby or two but that won't help her down here in the lower 48. When she tries to run in 2012 she will still have no accomplishments to her name as her Pipeline to Nowhere still will not have been built. Thanks but no Thanks Failin' Palin. Go back to being a governor of obscurity or secede and make yourself Queen of Independent Alaska. You are a colossal joke with only limited regional appeal and your views and beliefs are too far from the mainstream of intelligent Americas.

January 22, 2009 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  23. Nancy

oh brother, sarah baracuda!! have you been over drinking tonight? Your comments are outrageous and greatly exaggerated if not FALSE. GET REAL!! extensive trade experience?? HAHAHAHAHAHAH

January 22, 2009 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  24. Kay

He is just wasting his time meeting with her. Her true colors have been shown recently in the way she is acting like a "spoiled brat" does when they do not get their way. The old saying, "If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen" fits her to a "T". It seems the cold is the best place for her since apparently she can't stand the heat!!

January 22, 2009 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  25. Gene Car

Why did you not post my pro-Palin comment?

January 22, 2009 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |