January 23rd, 2009
6 months ago

McCain says he and Palin plan to meet this month

CNN

Watch McCain discuss his relationship with Palin.

(CNN) – Despite the post-election battle between Sarah Palin and John McCain's campaign advisors, the former Republican presidential candidate told CNN’s Larry King both members of the GOP ticket remain “very close.”

McCain — who has been edging his way back into the spotlight Palin never quite left - dismissed questions over his running mate’s criticism of his campaign team. “Listen, I think the world of Governor Palin, her husband Todd, her family, I'm honored that she would run with me,” he said in an interview Thursday.

“And look, whenever there is a losing campaign there is always a little bit of back and forth, and it happens post-mortem. I am so grateful to have her as a friend, and I believe that she represents a lot to the Republican Party in the future. I think she has a big role to play.”

Palin and senior McCain aides, many of them anonymous, have traded criticism since the Republican ticket’s defeat.

Last month, the Alaska governor told Human Events that following the campaign’s media strategy was her biggest regret of the race. “I was not allowed to do very many interviews, and the interviews that I did were not necessarily those I would have chosen,” she said. “But I was so thankful to have the opportunity to run with John McCain that I was not going to argue with the strategy decisions that some of his people were making regarding the media contacts...if I would have been in charge, I would have wanted to speak to more reporters, because that’s how you get your message out to the electorate.”

The Arizona senator would not tell King Thursday whether he was personally stung by Palin’s criticism of his top aides. “Look, we're very close friends, and I talk to her all the time and look forward to seeing her, I think, in a week or so,” he said. “We're very close.”

McCain also side-stepped the question of whether he’d ever raised those comments with her. “Oh - these things always happen in campaigns,” he said. “She has my respect and my affection and that's undying.”

Last month, he told an interviewer Sarah Palin could not necessarily count on his support his former running mate if she chose to run for president.

"I can't say something like that. We've got some great other young governors,” he told ABC then. “I think you're going to see the governors assume a greater leadership role in our Republican Party," he said, citing Governors Tim Pawlenty of Minnesota and Jon Huntsman of Utah.

“...Have no doubt of my admiration and respect for her and my view of her viability, but at this stage, again … my corpse is still warm, you know?"

Filed under: John McCain • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Mark

Sarah Palin is a republican and a conservative. More so then John McCain. She will always have a place in our party. Not sure if John will. He is more of an independent, which is why he lost.

We need republicans to act like real conservative republicans. Like Sarah, Mitt, Thompson......Jed Bush..... And others.

People are acting like things have "changed" in America. Not true. It was just one election cycle. We just didn't want McCain.

Oh one more thing.....RUSH RULES!

Stick that in your "hope and change" pipe and smoke it.

January 22, 2009 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  2. john w

i call on ALL republicans to shun McCain, he is not one of us.

January 22, 2009 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  3. dan in dc

Sarah Baracuda: Let's not forget Palin's experience and understanding of foreign policy - As she herself said so clearly in her Couric interview:

" it's very important when you consider even national security issues with Russia as Putin rears his head and comes into the airspace of the United States of America, where, where do they go? It's Alaska. It's just right over the border. It is from Alaska that we send those out to make sure that an eye is being kept on this very powerful nation, Russia, because they are right there. They are right next to, to our state."

Glad to know you think so highly of the Governor and her presumed leadership of the Alaska National Guard.

I am curious when you mention Plain has a high security clearance, something you think Biden and Obama did NOT have. I am somewhat surprised that Biden as Chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee would not have access to highly classified information broad range of topics - Is the implication here is that he is a "know nothing" compared to Gov Palin who (like other governors is in charge of deploying their national guard within their state)? Obama served on the same committee - Again the same question.

January 22, 2009 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  4. NJVote08

She is still not Presidential or VP material. She is too ignorant of what is going on outside of AK. End of story.

January 22, 2009 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  5. moderate

John:

Please, do not waste your time with this idiot. she is indeed a bad reflection on you

January 22, 2009 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  6. Lisa from AK

bleggh!!! Gag me with a spoon! LOL, oh, let's not forget, she loves him! Right back at ya, said one Maverick to the next. Palin just gave me $11 million extra reasons why I hate her! If anyone buys her book they need to seriously evaluate their mental health!

January 22, 2009 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  7. Tariq

I agree with all the Sarah lovers...she is the messiah and we just completely missed it.

Clearly, she is also overqualified to be vice-president....that is the only possible, rational, and logical reason she lost popularity, lost the election, and now lost in the shuffle.

January 22, 2009 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  8. John Anthony

Could somebody PLEASE give us some Raid or something similar for that idiot Palin? She is a very annoying pest that simply won't go away. BEGONE, PALIN! PERMANENTLY!!!

January 22, 2009 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  9. yellow dog democrat

yep people may love her and maybe she is the "real deal" FOR THEM! not for me and millions of others-–she doesn't speak to me – or for me. Let her continue on some other level – but if she were by some quirk of the cosmos to become President of the United States – well I'd just have to eat my grits!! Lets see what this new President does first before you all go cracking doors and counting the proverbial chickens!!

January 22, 2009 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  10. once upon a horse

@ putergal....

PLEASE STOP IT!! Nobody is scared of Sarah Palin except maybe sonme in the GOP that might be afraid she'll try to run again in 2012. In fact I hope she DOES. That will assure another Obama victory.

January 22, 2009 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  11. Ed Word

Invite Joe the Plumber and make it a three-way.

January 22, 2009 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  12. Br

Stop Palin's New Age religion assertions ..

January 22, 2009 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  13. KansasGirl

Why worry about Sarah Palin, who lovely libs have the messiah.

January 22, 2009 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  14. EVOLVE

LOSERS!!

January 22, 2009 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  15. jimPNW

I FOLLOWED THE ELECTION PRETTY CLOSE BUT I DON'T EVER REMEMBER HEARING JOHN EVER REALLY SAY WHAT HER QUALIFICATIONS WERE.SHE WAS ALWAYS BRIGHT OR A BREATHE OF FRESH AIR OR A EXPERT IN ENERGY BUT NEVER ONCE SAID SHE WAS READY TO TAKE OVER IF NEEDED. A T.V. SHOW OR BOOK WILL NOT MAKE HER A BETTER PRESIDENT OR A SMARTER POLITICAN. HER FRINGE GROUP WILL BUY HER BOOK AND MAKE RICH BUT SHE SHOULD GO BACK AND BE THE BEST GOVERNOR SHE CAN OR BETTER YET RUN FOR THE SENATE AND LEARN THE ROPES.

January 22, 2009 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  16. Caribou Barbie

Ernie in LA, may I suggest you read the thread for the story about Sarah's book? We Liberals are definitely not upset, we are very amused– Sarah is the joke that keeps on giving. She's simply too dumb to know the depth of her stupidity. That's some serious stupid.

January 22, 2009 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  17. Lost in Texas FOREVER

@ John W

if being a Republican means being like Hannity, Limbaugh, or Palin then thank GOD I'm not one either!

January 22, 2009 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  18. Christy

Sarah palin is the future for america. She has proposed the largest green agenda in Alaska history. 50% of alaska energy will be renewable

January 22, 2009 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  19. boston

Putergal-
    Seriously....the fascination with Palin is no different than the attention people paid to Anna Nicole Smith or Paris Hilton. She's a joke that the majority of the Electoral College laughed at. You must not get it.

January 22, 2009 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  20. gfwms1

Palin is the reason McCain did'nt win more votes. This woman is a total nut case. She will never be ready for primetime. If she is not elected the next time, she will have a nervous break down. She was faking it and voters could see through her. This woman needs professional help (mentally).

January 22, 2009 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  21. Mr Jones

Count me in as another Alaskan who is tired of Sarah Palin. She not only embarrassed John McCain and his campaign, but also the state of Alaska. Her book should be used as kindling at her next library bonfire!

January 22, 2009 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  22. Jim

Yeah we were really spoon fed, lol what planet are these people on, did i miss something, was Palin actually given ANY!!!! tough questions, i mean she blames everyone under the sun and she didnt even make any decisions, imagine her in high office, jeez you people dont hold yourselves accountable for anything, now that is embarrassing, chalk one up for Rush, losers. Yeah let me tell you Obama Biden and McCain dont meet foreign heads of state.....man we are getting dumber. What is that? fox news? where are these people getting their information, you high??!?!? National Guard?? experience?? OMGGGGGGGG i feel like just reading some posts im losing brain cells. God wheres Elizabeth Hasselbeck that her name? when you need her....HHAHA maybe we can get some wedding planning/politics advice.....this election at the least showed me we arent all ditzes yet. Very scary. Guess we are going to get punished now for not going down with the ship with moron Bush, yay keep up the patriotism Republicans. Sounding more and more anti American everyday.

January 22, 2009 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  23. One vote

Please go away the two of you – into the sunset together, forever. I had hopes for McCain coming around to serve us the American people with honor as he had done for so many years. Then, he comes charging out today that President Obama is doing wrong on Gitmo. First of all, BRAVO Mr. President – second, McCain, maybe its time you listen to the guy who actually won – and represent the majority of the people in this country. Your views on war, terrorism and torture do not. Time to face the tough truth.

January 22, 2009 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  24. SAM

You Palin haters need to update your speel....all you can do is recite the Couric stuff. Move on and listen to other interviews. Governor Palin is intelligent, articulate, and truly conservative and genuine. She is here to stay, get over it!!!

January 22, 2009 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  25. mike

Com eon sarah....stay home in Atlasta........go away!!!

January 22, 2009 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |