January 23rd, 2009

Preston on Politics: 'Digging the Republican leader'

CNN

CNN Political Editor Mark Preston sat down with House Republican Leader John Boehner Friday. Watch the interview.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Should marijuana be legalized? What will you do to reach out to the Ron Paul Republicans and like-minded libertarian-leaning Republicans? Is waterboarding torture?

House Minority Leader John Boehner of Ohio fields a lot questions each day here in the nation’s capital - but they’re usually tossed at him by professional journalists. And I can’t recall the last time any of them were marijuana-related.

On Friday, Boehner sat down with me for a 20-minute interview. But most of the questions weren’t mine — they were yours.

The interview was a joint venture between CNN.com and the popular social news site Digg.  Nearly 1,500 questions for Boehner were submitted over a two-day period. The Digg community voted on each question, and ranked them in the order of interest. I was able to ask the Republican leader the top 10, as well as a very sharp question submitted through CNN’s iReport about what the Republican Party can do to attract young voters.

The interview took place right after Boehner met with President Barack Obama at the White House. Before I dove into the Digg questions, I had to ask the Republican leader if he thought he could work with the new president.

“Only time will tell,” the Republican leader told me. “The country needs for the president to succeed and for the president to succeed, Congress needs to work with him, and I think that we need to continue to work together to try to resolve issues that the American people expect their government to resolve.”

So what were his thoughts on marijuana, waterboarding, and Ron Paul?

Click here to find out.

Filed under: John Boehner
  1. Dawn

Well yeah, I don't smoke it, but what actual harm does it do? One it does help with nausea when you get Chemotherapy. It helps people with terminal illness. I am anti-drug, but this is actually an herb.

Waterboarding is torture,

Ron Paul is one of a kind.

January 23, 2009 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  2. Dawn

Waterboarding is torture,
    Ron Paul is one of a kind.

January 23, 2009 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  3. suresh

I do not believe the Republicans in the congress will work with a Democratic President. It is not in the Republican blood to accept that Democrats can have good ideas. If they do not cooperate with Obama to solve country's problems and act more as obstrutionists, they will be finished in the next election. I think americans have given a clear signal that they want a government that works.

January 23, 2009 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  4. Matt

To answer the opening three questions:

A clue.

January 23, 2009 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  5. BLK

Marijuana should be decriminalized and taxed. I don't smoke but I do know that most of the drug cartels would be put out of business. Supply and demand.

Also medical research show that alcohol is more dangerous to an individual that pot.

January 23, 2009 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  6. Alice Newman Center Harbor NH

" I had to ask the Republican leader if he thought he could work with the new president.

“Only time will tell,” the Republican leader told me. "

The only time Republicans can manage to squeeze the word "bipartisan" from between their thin lips is when they are in the minority.

If the GOP has such huge concerns and such wonderful ideas – where have they been for the past 8 years! Hypocrites all: Can't lead, unwilling to follow and hoping for America to fail....

January 23, 2009 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  7. tk1

no harm done legalize it.....

January 23, 2009 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  8. joe

The way the "leadership" and I use that term losely to discribe Bonehner; wants to come together with the Dems and spend a trillion dollars of which they will either borrow from China or print it out of thin air I would think Mr. Bonehner is the one on marijuana.

Ron Paul is the only honest politician in Washington who under stands money, taxes, the true meaning of Liberty, and free market economics. Ron Paul is my President.

January 23, 2009 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  9. My job was outsourced to China and An illegal immigrant took my wifes job

I would like to ask john Boehner when will the Republican party end its oral fixation with multinational corporations?

January 23, 2009 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  10. Jon

Republicans need to find a better face for the party. It is not Boehner. It is not McConnell. And it is definitely not Palin. Someone needs to step up for the good of the two party system!

January 23, 2009 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  11. DIZIZI31

Yes, it should be legalized, just like alcohol and prescription medications.

January 23, 2009 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  12. Alan

Did anyone ask him how a name spelled B-O-E-h-n-e-r gets pronounced like it's spelled B-A-N-E-r?

January 23, 2009 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  13. Steve Wimer

Legalize, and Tax marijuana. Put the gangsters out of business.

January 23, 2009 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  14. Texas Teacher

Oh, come now... everyone knows that all these people want to do is legislate their morality! If not that, then they want to do whatever they can to thwart Obama! Right now they are trying to make nice... they're trying to test the water! I suggest they just keep a low profile and hope they can get reelected!

I have said it before and I will say it again, these Repubs have made the problem we are in with their stupid ideas and ramming them down the collective throat of the American People by voting in lock step with their fearless leader. Who has proved to not SO fearless now! They are NOT qualified to fix anything.....or even to talk about it! Get out of the way and let's see if Obama can fix you mess!

January 23, 2009 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  15. KATHLEEN

Republican Heading. Posted 4 pm. 2 comments by one person.

Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter, Fox News. No excitement
    for the Republican Party, lately.

I am surprised anyone listens. They still have jobs?

Ron Paul is a Republican...is a Republican......is a Republican
    that "does try" to sound "soft spoken." but he has Repuclican ideas.
    And he is "all for" getting rid of the entitlements" and helping the rich,
    as far as I could understand. But, when he talks, it is hard to "catch"
    his "mousy form of a Republican message.

January 23, 2009 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |