January 25th, 2009

McCain: I won't be a 'rubber stamp' for Obama

McCain says his new role after a bruising election is that of loyal opposition.

McCain says his new role after a bruising election is that of loyal opposition.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sen. John McCain, who faced a long, bruising campaign against President Obama, has taken on a new role in the Obama administration: "Loyal opposition."

McCain defined his role as, "[To] help and work together where I can, and stand up for the principles and the party and the philosophy that I campaigned on and have stood for for many years," to Chris Wallace on Fox News Sunday.

McCain, who has long championed bipartisanship in Washington, said while it's important for Americans to come together, it doesn't mean "that as the loyal opposition that I or my party will be a rubber stamp."

But the former Republican presidential candidate said he can use his experience to help Obama with a long-standing problem besides the economy.

"I think I can help in devising a strategy for Afghanistan. The hard truth is that the Afghan war has deteriorated," he said.

McCain's comments come amid recent U.S. bombings targeting al Qaeda in the Waziristan area of Pakistan on the border with Afghanistan. The rocky terrain has long been seen as a haven for Osama bin Laden and al Qaeda operatives.

1. Brit wanting Obama here

Good man to help guide him

January 25, 2009 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  2. What Change?

Thank goodness SOMEONE is willing to stand up for Americans against the Obamanation!!

January 25, 2009 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  3. bibi

Israel is having a rest from teh killing now The Us is taking over. What change is that!

January 25, 2009 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  4. hello

mccain like a rubber stamp you bounce around where ever you think it will benefit john mccain, not the American people,you are not a democrate, you are not a true republican, i'm afraid that you only straddle the fence, and that will get you absolutly NOWHERE.

January 25, 2009 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  5. bibi

Israel is having a rest from the killing. Now the US is taking over. What change is that! It is time that the rest of the world joins together against the US and Israel. Innocent people are being murdered every day. Us and Israel are exporting terrorism and want to know why others are fighting back,

January 25, 2009 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  6. Greg, San Francisco, CA

Yeah he can't be a rubber stamp for Obama because he's worn out from being a rubber stamp for Bush.

January 25, 2009 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  7. Joe (Bozeman, MT)

John McCain our savior. Will he suspend his other work to solely help President Obama with the crisis in Afghanistan? After all, his prowess during the financial crisis in October is proof of his special skills and how much we can benefit from his experience and hard work.

January 25, 2009 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  8. GARY

That away MCcain Disagree when needed.helping Obama dosn't mean all his plans are right for our country.Stick to your guns John.

January 25, 2009 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  9. Carol, California

Why is this old fool still around? If we wanted your opinion, John, we would have elected you. You lost – big time – now go away and take your old lady and Palin with you.

January 25, 2009 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  10. ross berg

As a lifelong Republican I did my darndest to support McCain & Co. this year despite what I view as the total abandonment of Republican principles, (balanced budget, respect for the Constitution etc.) during the last several years.

When I saw the Couric interview I just could not imagine Sarah Palin a heartbeat away from the Presidency. To this day I can't fathom how he picked her. For his sake I hope the truth is that it was a "hail-Mary" otherwise he has some VERY serious judgement issues.

In any event it's sort of a miracle that the election wasn't even more lopsided than it was!

The Republicans will either once again stand for something ( and mean it!) or they will become more and more marginalized.

IMHO

January 25, 2009 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  11. Thomas L. Boise, ID

Why doesn't this guy go away and retire? The less we see or hear from McCain the better. He is a part of the fierce Republican machine that helped to bring this country down, big time! He needs to permanently fade out of the picture. Good by and good riddance John!

January 25, 2009 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  12. Shankerprasad S Bhatt Writer of Prayers Book

The strong strategy adopted by the new president is very strict and hence it should be followed
    There was manoevouring by the political leaders of Pakistan ands hence an independent thinking be taken to solve this long standing problem
    Even the training camps are going on in Pakistan areas yet no further actions is taken by yhe pakistan Government.All such traing camps be tolerated and be contonued.Either American soldiers be allowed to remove such camps or allow Indian Goverment to intervene in such areas and take action for the sake of peace and world peace.

January 25, 2009 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  13. mjc

While I respect Sen. McCain for his service to our country, he comes across as if he is still on the Campaign Trail. He still has this dual personality where you never know "which" John McCain is appearing from day to day. I do not believe for one minute that he will truly "work with" President Obama. It's all just PR talk. I'll only believe when I see it. So for all I've seen is McCain on talk shows criticizing Obama and saying "how I would have done this or that.'

January 25, 2009 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  14. Farrell, Houston, Tx

With all the generals on the ground in Iraq and Afgan, I don't see how McCain who was in captivity during the Vietnam war era makes him an expert on war strategies. I trust General Petraeus and Gen. O to get the job done with the help of Obama.

January 25, 2009 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  15. earle,florida

Who cares! I'd also like to add that during the" Keenan 5",S&L Crises Debacle in the 80's, was a precurser for things to come ,with punishment no more than a slap on the wrist for the perpetrators! The "Resolution Trust Corp." (RTC) picked up the tab at the taxpayers expense for $200bn(30 year bond/2016) paid by taxpayers with a whopping return of $1.8bn recovered by the US Treasury,Wow! It was the maverick,and fledgling Senator McCain from Arizona that got these crooks off the hook. McCain has a very short memory,thank God he lost,with dementia setting in,it's quite obvious he should return to private life,...

January 25, 2009 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  16. Debbie

I can understand that McCain won't be a rubber stamp, he's still pretty raw after the bruising he received. However, I do think that he really wants to be in the Obama administration. I bet if President Obama asked him to take a lead role in our veteran's affairs he would be Johnny on the spot. I have no love for McCain – he did not vote for our military in crucial policies – he needs to retire.

January 25, 2009 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  17. Annie, Atlanta

I was not a McCain supporter, and I thought his pick for VP was hateful and divisive with her "real" America nonsense, but I do support his "loyal opposition" mantra. They need to get along up there on capitol hill for the greater good. I, for one, am sick of the nasty partisan politics that will be the legacy of George W. Bush.

January 25, 2009 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  18. Chris from Va. Beach Va

Now all the hurt feelings come out. John McCain all of a sudden knows how to deal with the economy ( not ). The Repubs don't have a strategy nor do they know what to do at this point, so the only thing they can do is oppose everything. One of these one or more will break this partisan stronghold and remember why they lost the election. We voters are tired of the childish political games. The economy need their attention not their egos.

January 25, 2009 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  19. Jon Davis

"McCain: I won't be a 'rubber stamp' for Obama"

Why should ANYONE be a 'rubber stamp' for Obama? Oh, that's right, during the Bush administration the Republican-led Congress (2000-2006, including John "90+% of the time" McCain) literally rubber-stamped every Bush proposal much the way the Soviet Politburo rubber-stamped every "law" proposed by the Kremlin.

Fortunately the Democratic Party is diverse enough that this won't happen as a rule.

January 25, 2009 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  20. george M.

thank god he didn't get elected or we would have had another 4 years of an arrogant president

January 25, 2009 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  21. Mick in Mesa

Won't rubber stamp? You mean like McCain did for Bushie over 90% of the time? Now that was being a "maverick" that's for sure – NOT!

January 25, 2009 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  22. Chris from Va. Beach Va

Now all the hurt feelings come out. John McCain all of a sudden knows how to deal with the economy ( not ). The Repubs don't have a strategy nor do they know what to do at this point, so the only thing they can do is oppose everything. One of these days one or more will break this partisan stronghold and remember why they lost the election. We voters are tired of the childish political games. The economy need their attention not their egos.

January 25, 2009 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  23. a glad rubber-stamp for AIPAC and neo-cons

mc-warmonge has been.

hey, don't fret, mcshameless.

the same AIPAC thugs and neo-con thieves now surround obama.

i know you lost because you're not as useful as obam as the front man for the same group of deceitful delusional thugs.

January 25, 2009 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  24. once upon a horse

thanks Sen McCain but I'm sure Pres Obama would not really want you to be a rubber stamp for him. He has said in the past he wants arguments and oppositions and will even make mistakes. Anything easy is not worth having in the long run.

January 25, 2009 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  25. Marlon

McCain, get over yourself! You're tired, you're old, and you've been defeated. Stop holding grudges and move on. This is not about campaigns anymore. Obama is your president! Accept it!

January 25, 2009 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |