January 25th, 2009

McCain: I won't be a 'rubber stamp' for Obama

McCain says his new role after a bruising election is that of loyal opposition.

McCain says his new role after a bruising election is that of loyal opposition.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sen. John McCain, who faced a long, bruising campaign against President Obama, has taken on a new role in the Obama administration: "Loyal opposition."

McCain defined his role as, "[To] help and work together where I can, and stand up for the principles and the party and the philosophy that I campaigned on and have stood for for many years," to Chris Wallace on Fox News Sunday.

But the former Republican presidential candidate said he can use his experience to help Obama with a long-standing problem besides the economy.

"I think I can help in devising a strategy for Afghanistan. The hard truth is that the Afghan war has deteriorated," he said.

McCain's comments come amid recent U.S. bombings targeting al Qaeda in the Waziristan area of Pakistan on the border with Afghanistan. The rocky terrain has long been seen as a haven for Osama bin Laden and al Qaeda operatives.

1. A D Enstoss

You know it's fine now they could easily still be in power,Bush could have left with a 90% positive rating.He could have told Americans it may be dangerous to fly during 2001 and placed even the most basic security in place at airports when fully aware of the immediate danger of highjacking.We could have boosted the UN power in Iraq and stayed out remaining in Afganistan as a deterrent and insuring sucess there.Mc Cain certainly followed the advise of GWB senior and Cheney included when the decision was made to stay out of Iraq why should he change his tune now.

January 25, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  2. Skyview

To Annie Smith: i didnt vote for George Bush, dont like Bush, and dont like people like you who are empty headed like Bush, and think the rest of us are off our rockers. It is not a surprise that Bush and his followers dont understand the thinking of the majority of the American People; they are to busy tryng to remember the ideaology they are to follow.. The rest of us will think for our self, thank you.

January 25, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  3. Unshrub

Who cares what the old goat says. He demonstrated during the election that he will say anything he needs to say to promote himself. He should retire.

January 25, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  4. MaryanneAZ

As my Senator, McCain just needs to remember that Obama won and that HIS plan and HIS party were not voted in. If we had wanted what McCain was offering as a presidential candidate, then we would have elected him. Obviously, McCain did not have a plan, of any sort, and he does not now have the right to vote down the only plan there is. We The People voted for Barack Obama in a landslide victory, and it is Obama's plan that should be enacted and carried out. That's what the American people asked for by the result of this election. Unless the Republicans have something better to offer in the way of an economic recovery plan, they need to either give meaningful input and vote FOR the President's plan, or get out of the way. This Nation needs positive and bold action on the economy now!

January 25, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  5. Proud American

Wow, I thought John McCain fix our economy. I seem to remember he suspended his campaign to fixz the problem. So much John for working with president, and you wonder why the american people rejected you. Go away your a loser and no one really cares what you think.

January 25, 2009 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  6. Proud American

Wow, I thought John McCain fix our economy. I seem to remember he suspended his campaign to fix the problem. So much John for working with president, and you wonder why the american people rejected you. Go away your a loser and no one really cares what you think.

January 25, 2009 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  7. Cheryl Knoxville

The negatives and hateful rhetoric expressed here are exactly what Obama said he did not want–Correct?

January 25, 2009 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  8. vince ree

Frankly I would be afraid if McCain was in favor of the Obama plan. If you remember America, McCain did vote over 90% of the time with former President Bush and look where that lead us.

Keep voting against Mr. McCain, that way we know President Obama is doing the RIGHT thing.

January 25, 2009 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  9. enoughalready

Ann Smith, that has to be the most profound , intelligent statement I've ever read. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

January 25, 2009 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  10. Joyce Becker

Of course McCain thinks he can help President Obama with the economy because in his mind the American economy is doing just fine. You lost the election over remarks like that one so leave the President alone, he will do just great without your vote, there are plenty of Democrats in the Senate now.

January 25, 2009 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  11. Marie R

Oh Ann Smith let me correct my typo error because I don't want to sound as ignorant as you ..the error was I voted for Obama in 2009 but should read 2008.........Hail To The Chief

January 25, 2009 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  12. The Big Nb

I was hoping that I would never have to see this man again! I actually cringe at the sight of his face. Does anybody still care what Jihn McCain has to say anymore?

January 25, 2009 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  13. Misty TN

I just hope McCain's bitterness does not insite bitterness throughout the republican party, opposing our president on every issue right or wrong. Barack is reaching across, inviting republican leaders to the white house to discuss what confusion or disagreement they have with any ideas that he has, I doubt McCain would have ever cared what anyone thought.

January 25, 2009 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  14. Nobama

I'm going to stop paying my taxes. I think if I do then I have a better shot at being appointed Treasury Secretary. I'm also going to become a lobbyist, so that I can be appointed the Secretary of Defense. Change has come to America????

January 25, 2009 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  15. judesuper

News Flash McCain. YOU LOST. No one cares what you have to say. Our country is going to move forward, with you or without you. Please don't forget that we Arizona voters will remember if you are helful or a hindrance.

January 25, 2009 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  16. MaryanneAZ

Chris from Va. Beach Va: I think you wrote the most impressive sentence on the subject of the economy that I have read in a long time. It is absolutely true: "The economy need their attention not their egos." That's the bottom line for the American taxpaying public. We want action and solutions, not posturing and obstruction.

January 25, 2009 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  17. Western Voter

This from the guy who chose Sara Palin to be next in line to be president. To whom was he shwoing loyalty with that decision...not the country, but to only a small sliver of his party. The country rejected his judgement then and certainly we don't need it now.

January 25, 2009 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  18. Stop the Hate

As I read through these comments, I am once again amazed by the hatred on both sides of the political spectrum. Actually, I think the hate from the left is worse. Stop and think for a minute. What, exactly, does the name calling accomplish, other than making the person doing the name calling look like a petulant child? I, for one, encourage McCain's decision to be the loyal opposition. I am a firm believer that the more ideas put forward, and the more debate about the validity of those ideas, the better off everyone will be. I also do not subscribe to the idea that the "great new prsident," as someone called Obama in this blog, has the answer to everything. He may prove to be great, but with less than a week in office, only time will tell. He has ideas, other Democrats have ideas, and Republicans have ideas. Working together is a laudable goal, but groupthink is bad for everyone, Republicans and democrats alike.

January 25, 2009 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  19. JM, CT

There will be no more bi-partisan cooperation for Obama than there was for Clinton. The republicans will only cooperate if they get their own way. They say they want to work together, if Obama will listen to them–that's the only way they'll work together–with the republican party, it is their way, or no way. Our government needs to get over this two-party war going on within itself. We have a new president with new ideas, and hopefully able to lead us into a better future, but not unless the little boys and girls in the senate and congress get over themselves and put the country first. McCain is still trying to please everyone–keep his foot in the door of the Whitehouse, but keep the GOP in his pocket, also. If there had been some REAL bi-partisan cooperation, maybe Bush would not have been allowed to destroy our reputation, our military, our economy, our way of living, and most of all, all the lives he cost us in a war that should never have been started.

January 25, 2009 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  20. George Arlington, TX.

McCain will say anything the Republican leader tells hin to say. I have no trust with him after he selected the Alaska Governor to be his running mate. That shows he will say and do anything just to make him look big. I wish he would retire and drop by Texas and take Bush with him To Arizonia.

January 25, 2009 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  21. Terrence

"McCain, who has long championed bipartisanship in Washington, said while it's important for Americans to come together, it doesn't mean "that as the loyal opposition that I or my party will be a rubber stamp."

... and this is why i cannot stand McCain. He is just like any republican who is all about the party and doesnt want to see anytime of unity..

January 25, 2009 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  22. SYLVIA (Georgia)

Well Iam back and it is time that I put my 2 cents to work. #1 I will not trust John McCain and Why should Obama trust him, look how McCain stated over and over again that he did not agree with his buddy BUSH, and tried to distance himself from BUSH But ..people saw through him. If McCain and the CRY BABE'S Republicans wants to play fair and help this country they better think very hard if they come out and behave like they did during the campagin.We all are watching.

January 25, 2009 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  23. JOHN

HEY JOHN, GUESS WHO'S P.O.T.U.S.? THAT ONE.

January 25, 2009 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  24. laurie

John, John, John.... NO ONE EXPECTED you to mean what you said constantly about working in a bipartisanship manner..... what we did expect, is that you would do just what you are doing now... trying to undermine the new administration..... And to say you can help the new administration.....give us a break..... you are just trying to have some control.......like you are an expert in warfare??????? HA.

January 25, 2009 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  25. doezz koroma

please-john mcCain go to sleep and live president obama alone,i thought you ment it when you said you will work with obama for america's good and now you are sounding different,stop hating and be a man,we love you but you juss cant be a pressident my man.u are u good were you are and you should start apriciating mr looser.one had to one not 2,you know dat

January 25, 2009 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |