January 25th, 2009

McCain: I won't be a 'rubber stamp' for Obama

McCain says his new role after a bruising election is that of loyal opposition.

McCain says his new role after a bruising election is that of loyal opposition.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sen. John McCain, who faced a long, bruising campaign against President Obama, has taken on a new role in the Obama administration: "Loyal opposition."

McCain defined his role as, "[To] help and work together where I can, and stand up for the principles and the party and the philosophy that I campaigned on and have stood for for many years," to Chris Wallace on Fox News Sunday.

McCain, who has long championed bipartisanship in Washington, said while it's important for Americans to come together, it doesn't mean "that as the loyal opposition that I or my party will be a rubber stamp."

But the former Republican presidential candidate said he can use his experience to help Obama with a long-standing problem besides the economy.

"I think I can help in devising a strategy for Afghanistan. The hard truth is that the Afghan war has deteriorated," he said.

McCain's comments come amid recent U.S. bombings targeting al Qaeda in the Waziristan area of Pakistan on the border with Afghanistan. The rocky terrain has long been seen as a haven for Osama bin Laden and al Qaeda operatives.

1. Dennis

Good for you John McCain. Obama can only hoe to be half the man you are. I'm glad you are going to be "loyal opposition" to BHO. God knows the press won't touch him. The press lost all objectivity toward BHO long before the coronation.

January 25, 2009 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  2. Dan

Joseph you made me Lough!
    Sarah Palin asking Joe the Plumber! It sounds very funny! It was a horrendous decision that was made by the Old man! I think is time to retire and stay with your grandchildren and tell them the stories about Vietnam war.

January 25, 2009 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  3. FW

How stupid they think the American people are. This guy voted over 90% in favor of GWB's policies. Suddenly he has found religion?? This is the same guy who selected Sarah "the Joke" Palin as his running mate.

John McCain lost all his credibility when he chose SP for VP! I have been a Republican all my adult life. First time voted for Dem in 40 Years in 2008.

January 25, 2009 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  4. Ethan

I applaud Mr. McCain for his bipartisanship. This is what Obama asked for and McCain is delivering. The Democrats should stop bashing him!

January 25, 2009 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  5. Cheri

The rebublicans talking about not being a rubber stamp for President Obama is laughable... considering they were a rubber stamp for Bush for 8 years.

January 25, 2009 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  6. Norom

Ann Smith-if you like Bush then you "were" scared by a bunch of mindless, ignorant people.

January 25, 2009 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  7. Dave

One thing is certain: Nobody seems to be listening to the President's desire for less partisanship; at least not on these boards. It is good for this country to have opposing voices. No one ideology or party should ever go unchallenged. I salute both President Obama and Senator McCain. If the two of them can find a way to work through their differences, the resulting legislation will be better for all of us.

January 25, 2009 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  8. caywen

I don't think Obama expects McCain to be a rubber stamp. But I think both of these guys are going to surprise the American public with their ability to reach a sensible compromise.

January 25, 2009 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  9. benvictor

As a Hillary Democrat who voted for John and Sarah, I am pleased to know that John will hold the administration accountability. An experienced legislator, John will bring that experience to bear in analyzing/reviewing the administration's proposals. With John's service, in war and peace-time to America, we are ensured his intentions are pure and for the good of all Americans.

January 25, 2009 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  10. Michael

hey, Joseph–you forgot Bob the Builder and Tommy the Tank C;

January 25, 2009 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  11. Adelita

All the sulking and vitriol from the disappointed Bush/McCain supporters are likely to guarantee many more Democrat election victories, so keep it up. Ann Smith and her ilk have smeg for brains.

January 25, 2009 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  12. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

what a jerk! and he still won't admit Palin was a moronic choice.....

January 25, 2009 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  13. Trollmaster

The best response would be:

McCain was a rubber stamp for Bush. But I'm certian it's been said many times here.

McCain wants Americans to think he's learned his lesson (but in true Republican form he'll be in deinal he was a rubber stamp these past 8 years) but we see him as acting like a partsian hack.

January 25, 2009 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  14. Fred Reyes

Sen. McCain we know that you are not a rubber stamp for President again President Obama. That's what a bitter loser normally, not to be a rubber stamp to the winner. What else is new? It's so amazing that after Sen. McCain admitted that he does not know anything about the economy during the campaign is now an expert. You see what losing an eleciton can do to a person. Enough!!!

January 25, 2009 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  15. Lhill

I am so happy to see so many determined Americans ready and happy to stay in the course to take our country in a different direction with President Obama. Great!

January 25, 2009 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  16. Syd inTX

I was a very strong supporter of Barack Obama, however I had the utmost respect for John McCain. That is until he caved into the pressure of his party to be someone that he is not. Lest we all forget, McCain almost became a Democrat. It is good that he will not be a rubber stamp. The best ideas are devised when there are different voices to come up with a solution. Im sure Pres BO understands this and Sen JM also.

January 25, 2009 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  17. Barbara Campbell

Why is McCain being trumpeted by the media as the face of moderate Republicans? McCain has moved to the extreme right over the years, in response to demands from the special interests that fund and control him. Nothing has changed. The rich and powerful will still try to manipulate legislation to benefit themselves, and their well-paid neocon puppets will eagerly comply. As long as this is the case, the neocons will be sidelined by those who truly represent the American people – President Obama and Congressional Democrats.

As true moderates like Susan Collins and Olympia Snowe see the writing on the wall, perhaps they will change parties and preserve their own political futures.

January 25, 2009 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  18. arun

"I like and have always liked George Bush,"

If you had just put that at the beginning of the sentence Ann, we could have ignored the rest.

January 25, 2009 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  19. malabar

McCain rocks

January 25, 2009 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  20. Chris

Ann Smith – your statement that you have always liked George Bush and that you will not be scared off by mindless ignorant people go hand in hand.

I do find it odd that Republicans seem to think that their way is gonna fix everything. Their way got us into this mess. I say give the Dems way a chance. You can't keep doing the same things you've always done and expect to get different results. If it doesn't work then it doesn't work – but hey we tried something different. If we keep up Republican economic theories then we don't even have a chance.

January 25, 2009 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  21. Robin

Nice to see all the "tolerent" liberals out and about.

January 25, 2009 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  22. maf

Oh Ann Smith, it is so sad to read your comments. Spew your vitriol somewhere else. Every time I feel as a generation we have come so far, I see evidence that we haven't moved at all.
    Free speech and all that jazz, your point of view just makes me shake my head.

January 25, 2009 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  23. dijackson1978

Funny...he was a rubber stamp for President Bush for 8 years!

January 25, 2009 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  24. H-Town

Get out of my yard!

January 25, 2009 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  25. Gary in VA

Sorry McCain your are one Senator with one Vote and there are others who would like to be re-elected. So in all honesty McCain you are irrelevant at this point. President Obama has a 75 percent aproval rating at this time. I think he can get the votes he needs in the house and the senate to get his agenda moving forward. Good luck to you Senator McCain. Obama won and don't forget it.

January 25, 2009 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |