January 25th, 2009

McCain: I won't be a 'rubber stamp' for Obama

McCain says his new role after a bruising election is that of loyal opposition.

McCain says his new role after a bruising election is that of loyal opposition.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sen. John McCain, who faced a long, bruising campaign against President Obama, has taken on a new role in the Obama administration: "Loyal opposition."

McCain defined his role as, "[To] help and work together where I can, and stand up for the principles and the party and the philosophy that I campaigned on and have stood for for many years," to Chris Wallace on Fox News Sunday.

McCain, who has long championed bipartisanship in Washington, said while it's important for Americans to come together, it doesn't mean "that as the loyal opposition that I or my party will be a rubber stamp."

But the former Republican presidential candidate said he can use his experience to help Obama with a long-standing problem besides the economy.

"I think I can help in devising a strategy for Afghanistan. The hard truth is that the Afghan war has deteriorated," he said.

McCain's comments come amid recent U.S. bombings targeting al Qaeda in the Waziristan area of Pakistan on the border with Afghanistan. The rocky terrain has long been seen as a haven for Osama bin Laden and al Qaeda operatives.

1. PK California

I repeat; go get Osama! You campaigned that you knew where he was and how to get him! Prove it!!!!!

January 25, 2009 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  2. chucky1169469

Ann Smith January 25th, 2009 2:01 pm ET

I am sick to death of Bush bashing and the gooey love that you all have for Barak Hussein Osama Obama. You people are a bunch of sick puppies (perfect for the Obama mania that is going around). I didn't vote for Obama, dont like Obama and never will like Obama. I like and have always liked George Bush, and I won't be scared off by a bunch of mindless, ignorant people.
    ______________________________________________________

wow Ann Smith, don't be so mean. let me guess you live in the deep woods in the south

January 25, 2009 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  3. pb

Does Pres Obama remember who won this election? We don't need John McCain. He will not win reelection in 2010. Arizona politics now belong wholly in the hands of the far right and the LDS. They don't like McCain and with the LDS money, he doesn't stand a chance.

January 25, 2009 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  4. Randy, San Francisco

Kudos to McCain. As a life long Democrate, I expect him to a member of the "loyal" opposition and not be a rubber stamp. He should work in a bipartisan way when he agrees with the Obama administration and voice his opposition when he doesn't. Our political system is one of checks and balances. We don't want to go back to the Bush years of unchecked presidential powers.

January 25, 2009 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  5. New Yorker

joseph, The sad truth is that Joe the Plumber and Sara the stenographer would probably give better advice than what Obama is, presently, getting.

January 25, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  6. we are one

to Ann smith:

There given up one-way free tickets to alaska or crawford. Go there and take ur bushes with u !

January 25, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  7. alvino

John G-

Get over the fact that your candidate lost.

January 25, 2009 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  8. Diana

funny how everybody has comments but don't know a thing about whats going on.. as far as I'm concerned Obama made two bad judgements already the first closing Gutamo { I think they should go in Polosi area } do you know she doesn't want them in her area but in yours or yours or yours but not hers people are getting to dislike her something terrible...the 2nd on abortion this just won't do.... not my tax dollars being spent on killing babies...shows no morals....I am glad John McCain stands up for what he believes in....maybe he can teach all of you something....Obama won't last

January 25, 2009 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  9. Jane

Divided and be conquered. Can't please every bpdy. GWB had 8years to improve but failed. McCain tried but his emotions won't let him. We should stop whinning. Everybody has a stake. This is America. Don't like it -- MOVE TO THE ARTIC POLE.

January 25, 2009 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  10. Steve

McCain's remarks are completely appropriate. As a liberal, I welcome the input and the loyal opposition of principled conservatives. And yes, I do forgive McCain for the Palin mistake.

January 25, 2009 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  11. New Yorker

Joe the Troll, Do you realize the ones who got us into the mess we are in are the college graduates?????? How about REAL "change" we can believe in?

January 25, 2009 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  12. Real

I'd like to rubber stamp the word "LOSER" on his forehead.

And "OBTUSE" on Palin's.

January 25, 2009 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  13. Marie R

Ann Smith talk about ignorant just listen to yourself.I voted for Bush in 2004 and Obama in 2009 .Regardless of how you feel about a president especially a sitting president you should keep it to yourself.I would have never said such demeaning words about ANY sitting presidentJust how patriotic are you to say such a thing?..Talk about ignorance mixed with unamerican this you certainly are.President Bush is now former President Bush and now we and YOU have a new president who you so ignorantly denouce from your foul mouth....let me say who he is...IT IS PRESIDENT OBAMA and those who voted for him and even some that didn't vote for him could care less because they are true americans and honor their patriotism more than I can say for the likes of you

January 25, 2009 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  14. Meka

LET ME JUST GUESS . . . MCCAIN WILL "SUSPEND" THE GOVERNMENT!

January 25, 2009 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  15. flexx

THE mindless, ignorant people are the Rubublicans! ..whatever happened to their slogan...america first?? don't they want to help america? they refuse to go along with the stimulus plan, which shows that they don't care about no one but the RICH.. Obama is Commander in chief now, they need to help him serve the people , not knock him down like Rush IDIOT limbough did, it's just disgusting on the part of the republicans..

January 25, 2009 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  16. luan isuffi

Where was this moron for the last 8 years .
    He continues this arrogant , incompetent GOP
    strategy.Go with your leader Bush to retirement.

January 25, 2009 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  17. Meka

AND, THE VOTER'S NEED TO HELP ME GET THESE "CLOWNS" OUT OF OFFICE!

CONGRESS TERM LIMITS . . . 12 YEARS, NO RETIREMENT!

January 25, 2009 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  18. Bryan

Obama may have pulled over some conservative and independent voters, but that doesn't mean they're going to also get over the Obama messianic mania and find out that Obama does not have the same agenda they do. So soon after taking office, he's already shown his willingness to play partisan politics by repealing the abortion-funding ban and promoting LGBT interests directly on the white house website.

January 25, 2009 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  19. mpartin

First of all, I think I need to remind everyone that there were no winners or losers in this election. There was a candidate that was voted as president due to receiving majority votes. Regardless of who receives the honor of being president, all Americans still reside in the nation and must live with the decisions that are brought forth by the President and then approved of by the Senators and House that WE the AMERICANS voted into office. Whether you like it or not, Senator McCain and Governor Palin were voted into their offices by majority of their state WHICH MEANS that there are large populations of Americans that may have opposing views than you! Thus, we need to keep it in mind that they believe they are doing the job they have been voted into office to do and that they are working to make sure all decisions are right for the majority–not for JUST the Democrats or JUST the Republicans. Come on people, I thought Obama's whole thing was there shouldn't be Rublicans vs. Democrats but Americans.

January 25, 2009 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  20. Ricky

The American people spoke out loud to nominate a president for change, not the same old republican viewpoints.

January 25, 2009 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  21. rlt

what a fool.

January 25, 2009 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  22. Matt, Ohio

Anne Smith, quite the racism. Be happy that people are going to work together, instead of tear each other apart like you want to. Also, I think YOU are the sick puppy.

January 25, 2009 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  23. Griff

"The Moment"? When a Guy like John McCain serves his Coutry, the way he did. And that Same Country turns it back... There was No Moment..... Just a "Blip" in Democracy...

January 25, 2009 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  24. HouseDiva

McCain sure didn't mind rubber stamping for Bush over 90% of the time 😉

January 25, 2009 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  25. B

Anna, who's the "sick puppy" here? YOU are the one comparing your president to Osama Bin Laden. That is beyond deplorable.

January 25, 2009 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |