January 26th, 2009
7 months ago

Winfrey shocked over 'Senator Oprah' news

Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich said Monday that he considered Oprah Winfrey to replace President Barack Obama in the U.S. Senate.

(CNN) - Surprised to hear Illinois might have had a Senator Oprah? So was Winfrey herself.

The talk show host said Monday she’d had no clue Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich had considered tapping her for the state’s open Senate slot before he confirmed the news in a Monday morning TV interview.

Watch: Ill. governor on considering Winfrey

"If I had been watching [the ABC interview], as I watch from the treadmill, I probably would have fallen off the treadmill," Winfrey told friend Gayle King in a radio interview after hearing the news.

Blagojevich admitted Monday he once considered asking the media mogul to fill the senate seat vacated by President Barack Obama, before deciding to appoint former state attorney general Roland Burris.

“She seemed to be someone who had helped Barack Obama in a significant way to become President,” he told ABC, adding that Winfrey “had a much broader bully pulpit than a lot of senators."

The embattled governor - currently facing impeachment proceedings for allegedly plotting to sell the vacant position to the highest bidder - will take calls from viewers tonight on CNN’s Larry King Live at 9 pm ET.

Related: Blagojevich takes his case to TV

Filed under: Oprah Winfrey • Popular Posts • Rod Blagojevich
  1. Diane M of Los Angeles, CA

HA!!! "Winfrey had a much broader bully pulpit" TRANSLATION, Winfrey has deeper pockets. Oprah wouldn't have tolerated that nonsense!

January 26, 2009 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  2. Kathy

Wonderful!!! This story gets more weird by the moment. Just what the senate needs, another arrogant, racist member. I lost respect for Oprah a long time ago. But I think she would be interested in maybe moving Michelle out and getting a little frisky with That One. HHUUMM! That would be a sight.

January 26, 2009 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  3. MsRotten

Blago is just NUTS!

He is pulling the "Oprah card" out of his arse as a distrction. It's a lame defence...."I wasn't involved in any "pay to play" deals because I was going to pick Oprah to replace Obama". What a crock!!

January 26, 2009 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  4. Jeremiah

Oprah: and how do you feel about being in debt?
    person: it sucks
    Oprah well were gonna give you a new car!!!!

I dont want this as a senator

January 26, 2009 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  5. Dawn

hey the circus is in town ladies and gents.

January 26, 2009 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  6. THE OLD TIMER

to bad it didnt happen. I wonder what gate that would be called. we have had zipper gate watergate.... what would be next

January 26, 2009 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  7. Steve

Idiocracy is coming true!

January 26, 2009 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  8. Lori

Oprah's smarter than Sarah Palin. Hands down.

January 26, 2009 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  9. PA

Blago obviously needs help but if I had been Oprah I wouldn't have made a comment. She's only feeding his ego by giving him a nod.

January 26, 2009 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  10. Robin Robb

Our Country is offically a scary place. Why would Oprah be considered to be a Senator? No wonder our Country is going downhill on a runaway train, no need to be qualified, green is everyones favorite color.

January 26, 2009 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  11. Rory

This is obvious evidence that Pat Quinn needs to become Illinois' next governor immediately, for the sake of the state.

January 26, 2009 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  12. once upon a horse

Oprah Winfrey is a self made billionare who not only happens to be a woman but also African American and I can tell from some of the posts here that it really ticks some of you righties off. Well no better for you. Oprah could buy each one of you , give you the change and STILL be rich! You can't say that about many folks today that's for sure.

January 26, 2009 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  13. OPRAH MAKES ME SICK

PLEASE ALREADY... OPRAH SENATOR OF WHAT HER BOOK CLUB? LETS JUST KEEP NOMINATING UNQUALIFIED PEOPLE TO OFFICE. OPRAH OPENLY ADMITTED UNTIL OBAMA SHE WASNT EVEN THE SLIGHTEST BIT POLITICAL AND HAD NEVER VOTED... THAT MAKES ME SICK. ONE OF MY CO WORKERS DROVE FROM FLORIDA TO DC FOR OBAMAS BIG DAY, HAD TICKETS IN HAND AND DIDNT GET IN. WHY BECAUSE PEOPLE LIKE OPRAH AND ALL THE REST OF THE INNER CIRCLE FOLKS WHO NEVER CARED ABOUT WHO WAS OR WASNT PRESIDENT HAD TO BE SEEN. THIS POOR GIRL TOOK 4 DAYS OFF OF WORK UNPAID DROVE THERE BATTLED TO COLD TO STAND THERE IN LINE FOR HOURS. WHILE PEOPLE LIKE OPRAH JUST WALKED RIGHT IN... UNFAIR AND SO FAR THIS ADMINISTRATION OWE ALOT OF PEOPLE A BIG OLD I AM REALLY SORRY THAT INFLUENTAL PEOPLE WITHOUT TICKETS JUMPED THE LINE AND USED THEIR STAR STATS TO TROMP ON THE EVERYDAY GUY IN AMERICA.

January 26, 2009 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  14. kevin

this should not be made to be such a big deal..........Miss O never lived in ILL thus she could never be a senator in that state. Why is this news? For real.

January 26, 2009 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  15. John Brain

I find Blago to be very entertaining. I hope he either stays as governor or takes down the other pay for play politicians. I won't name any names but the innitials BO come to mind and I don't mean body oder.

January 26, 2009 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  16. kevin

wait why is everyone twisting this with oprah, caroline etc. Oprah was never a resident of ILL, again i say why is this news for one. and two why is there this many comments on a null and void issue. And yes Blago is insane, so again, on top of everything, i ask again, why is this an issue?

January 26, 2009 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  17. SC

I think the governor is loco. She has no knowledge of politics whatsoever. Sorry! No offense to Oprah!

January 26, 2009 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  18. Dennis

I hope someone is keeping a close eye on Governor Blago. This guy seems to be about three bubbles off plumb.

January 26, 2009 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  19. Ernie in LA

She is not really suprised.

January 26, 2009 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  20. Humored In Texas

Oprah in the U.S. Senate?!?!

What's next, Joe Hazelwood for Maritime Chairman?!?!?!

January 26, 2009 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  21. Alan

Blago's just saying that so all those Oprah fans will think he's not such a bad guy . . .

January 26, 2009 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  22. Rez, MN

@ chuck

I think the synonym for crazy and all the other words you mentioned is Limbaugh

January 26, 2009 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  23. Gillian

The CNN Poll: Would Oprah make a good U.S. Senator?

So far 85% of CNN.com viewers are saying "No." Why? I think people are giving senators a little too much credit. It's a job for goodness sakes. Have you considered her resume? I wonder how some of our U.S. Senators ever got elected, yet someone as accomplished a business woman as Oprah isn't good enough? Please, I'm a very casual viewer, not a fanatic by any means, but I can give her that much credit. It's moments like these that I'm glad I think for myself.

Respectfully,

Gillian

January 26, 2009 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  24. park nore

She will be a very good senator in Russia

January 26, 2009 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  25. FreeNLovIt

Hey, while you're impeaching Blago, can we also impreach the entire House and State Senators? We need to start with a clean plate.

January 26, 2009 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |