January 27th, 2009

Gilibrand already campaigning for 2010

Gillibrand is already raising money for her 2010 bid.

Gillibrand is already raising money for her 2010 bid.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Kirsten Gillibrand officially gets sworn in Tuesday as the junior senator from New York — but her campaign to keep her new job has already begun.

The former congresswoman has to defend her new seat in 2010. So she’s already out with a fundraising e-mail to supporters, noting the tremendous costs involved in running a statewide campaign in New York. "[S]uch outreach will cost a substantial amount of money,” she writes. “I hope you remain, as I do, undeterred by this challenge. I hope you will join me in building a well-funded campaign."

If she wins next year’s contest to serve out the remaining two years of HIllary Clinton's Senate term, Gillibrand will be up for election again in 2012.

The moderate Democrat from upstate New York’s 20th congressional district is known as a strong fundraiser who vastly out-raised her Republican opponent in her 2008 re-election campaign. She has already begun the process of closing her House campaign fundraising committee, and moving the $272,000 she had on hand as of the end of last month over to a newly created Senate campaign fundraising committee.

Gillibrand gets to take the oath of office twice today: first comes the official oath on the Senate floor. Then, a bit later, Vice President Joe Biden will administer a re-enactment of the swearing-in in the Old Senate Chamber.

Filed under: Kirsten Gillibrand
  1. Outspoken

Pro-Second Ammendment, Anti-Bailout. It's nice to know there are a few sensible democrats out there.

January 27, 2009 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  2. AJ

This disgusting woman is nothing but a Republican who calls herself a Democrat. She and Lieberman should both join their friends on the other side of the asile.

January 27, 2009 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  3. Mike, Syracuse NY

@Mike, most Democrats may not agree with her positions on gun control and immigration, but most Americans do. Just because we ended up with a flaming liberal as president, doesn't mean we need 100 of them in the Senate.

January 27, 2009 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  4. Dee

My prediction is, she will not receive the Dem vote until she understands Dem issues, particularly Gun Control and Immigration Reform, especially with all of the Racial Profiling and Hate Crime murders happening in New York/Long Island. If she is not willing to become informed and modify her stance, she will NOT be elected. We may as well start looking for a viable Democratic candidate for Senate today.

January 27, 2009 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  5. Nat

LO,

I think everyone should take a cue from you. Not being from New York, I know very little about this woman. So I'm happy to consider your opinion at least until I know a little more about her and see how she performs in office. What amazes me about most people on here that are giving her a hard time is that they're probably all from somewhere like Montana or Kentucky or somewhere. A little far removed from New York, I'd say!

January 27, 2009 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  6. J.C.

If she is good, she may run for president when Obama finishes his term(s).

January 27, 2009 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  7. KJ

To Gerda Edwards,

I could not have put it more accurately. You hit the nail right on the head and I can only say it is a shame on how our Political process has become in this country.

January 27, 2009 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  8. First Woman President

The first woman president ever?

January 27, 2009 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  9. Zion

I love how she is being criticized for being a politicians. Isn't the goal of any politician to get elected. What is the problem? She has the conservative values that will win with her district. I like her.

January 27, 2009 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  10. John, Brooklyn, New York

Sorry...

As a New York Democrat who has been very active in many campaigns, I will be one of the first to say that she won't get donations from me.

The Democratic Party depends on the delegation from New York to provide a solid, traditionally liberal point of view – which serves as the basis for compromise with more moderate and conservative views on a national level. Gillibrand's negative positions on gun control and abortion choice are not aligned with the voters of the state of New York and she doesn't serve as an adequate New York delegate for the Democratic Party.

I'll be supporting her primary opponent.

January 27, 2009 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  11. obama-mama

A republican in democrat clothing.

January 27, 2009 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  12. Pro

I won't vote for her and Paterson.

Most of fellow New Yorkers will do it too.

January 27, 2009 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  13. John, Brooklyn, New York

Zion –

You don't get it. Her conservative views have gotten her elected in her largely conservative upstate district. These are not the same views that successful candidates for statewide office in New York (both Republican and Democratic) have demonstrated.

The views of Saratoga Springs are certainly NOT the political views of most Democrats in the state of New York. Further, if you look at our state delgation (both Republican and Democratic) – Saratoga Springs' views are largely out of line with successful candidates across the state as well.

January 27, 2009 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  14. louie

She transfered campaign money to her senate fund that's it. It took maybe 14 minutes. Relax folks. I will most likely not vote for her but we'll see.

January 27, 2009 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  15. gsiofy

she is a great choice , she will be elected , she will keep her seat for long

January 27, 2009 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  16. Andrew Abramowitz

Carolyn McCarthy in 2010 !

January 27, 2009 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  17. Teh

I will volunteer for her campaign. The time for divisive politics is over. She is a New Yorker and I believe all New Yorkers ought to be proud of our governor for choosing such an aspiring public servant to serve the people of NY. She is street smart like all of us and who better represent us than one of us. Go Gilli!!!

January 27, 2009 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  18. mark

Another ugly Democratic Senator. At least Palin was hot!

January 27, 2009 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  19. Linda B from upstate ny

Although I did not vote for her the first time, she has really shown what a hard worker she is and how much she cares.
    If she is given a chance, I'm confident she will impress all new yorkers.
    She has shown she is quite capable of doing more than one thing at a time.

January 27, 2009 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  20. Amber

I like her. She's very capable, and not overly LEFT or RIGHT. She's in the middle where they all should be. Idealism + Realism= SUCCESS

Go Kristen.

January 27, 2009 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  21. RAPLHY!!!!!!!!

well...shes got some good ideas i hope she gets elected

January 27, 2009 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  22. Gracie

Don't waste your time Missy, you WILL NOT win and neither will Governor Patterson. Bottom line.

January 27, 2009 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  23. GuyInVA

It is what has become of our electoral system. Senators campaign for re-election for 6 years, Representatives for 2 years, and incumbent Presidents for 4 years. What makes people think that when politicians get elected (or appointed) they'll stop being politicians? It's like the women who marry Charlie Sheen. Their influence isn't going to stop him from being Charlie Sheen.

January 27, 2009 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |