January 27th, 2009
7 months ago

Obama downplays expectations of GOP support

Obama met with House and Senate Republicans Tuesday.
Obama met with House and Senate Republicans Tuesday.

(CNN) – President Obama seemed to lower expectations Tuesday on how many Republicans he expects to vote for his stimulus package, telling CNN Radio he's not sure even 50 percent of GOP caucus will support the bill when it comes to a vote.

“We're not going to get 100 percent agreement, and we might not even get 50 percent agreement, but I do think people appreciate me walking them through my thought process on this," Obama told CNN Radio's Bob Constantini.

"I hope I've communicated a sincere desire to get good ideas from everybody. And my attitude is that this is the first major piece of legislation we've been working on the Hill, and over time some of these habits of consultation and mutual respect will take over. But, you know, old habits die hard."

LISTEN to the full interview

Filed under: President Obama
  1. JayZeeMd

He is reaching across the table as he said he would. The Republicans are about 5 press conferences away from becoming an afterthought.
    Participate in your Democracy, don't whine about it.

January 27, 2009 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  2. Lydia

It really is a shame that the Republicans are such obstructionist. Their same old "cut taxes" ideology doesn't work in this dire situation, but as good student of history knows, they did the same thing to Roosevelt and the New Deal–and have been trying to dsmantle it since then! Get with the program or move out of the way! This mess will take 10-15 years to get out of. Obama is extending the olive branch and is taking the case to the American people. Just look at the news and more job cuts-wake up Repubs!

January 27, 2009 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  3. Meka

BEST PRESIDENT AMERICA WILL EVER WITNESS . . . INTELLIGENCE WORKS!

January 27, 2009 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  4. John Doe

Funny how all you brainless sheep claim Bush's tax cuts for corporations drove us into a recession while at the saem time ignoring the fact that CORPORATE TAXES WERE LOWER UNDER CLINTON THAN IN EITHER OF BUSH'S TERMS.

January 27, 2009 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  5. Mike Dallas

Obama is extending a hand across the aisle, but repubs would do well to remember they lost due to no new ideas.

So, bite the hand extended to help then we will not have to listen to your whining because from then on Dems will completely ignore the repubs sorta like the repubs did to the Dems in 2000 – 2006

Obama seems to be a good Christian but I were the repubs I would not stretch that "turn the other cheek" message too much or they will find Obama will give a swift kick to their cheeks!

January 27, 2009 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  6. Wanda

Forget about any cooperation about anything from the Republicans,
    now that the Dems are the majority in both houses I think Obama
    should try to legislate Islam as the national religion of the U.S.

January 27, 2009 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  7. Jamal

January 27, 2009 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  8. Mitchell from MS

***** Democrates, I hope the GOP doesn't allow any more of this socialistic crap to happen!

You dolts up north reunined your states with your stupid unions. Why should everyone else pay for your mistakes?

January 27, 2009 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  9. Jamal

republicans doesn't want this country move on the right direction they love to see obama fails

January 27, 2009 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  10. Ernie in LA

Hurry up Obama. America is waitiing.

January 27, 2009 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  11. Pat

I don't agree with the Dems Stimulus Plan. It is not a Stimulus Plan for starters it's a Recovery Plan with a mere few not so appropriate ideas for the economic crisis. I believe they could do much better on the stimulus and work on the recovery after the stimulus is set in motion.

January 27, 2009 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  12. will

I’m not the smartest, but I do know over the last eight years the economy has been going south and it has finally came to a unsatisfying ending with Georgia W. Bush and his Republican clowns. Yes, the Democrats did have control of congress within the last two years of George W. Bush Presidency, but the Veto pen stayed in the right hand of George W. Bush and he used it to his delight.

Now the American People are left with a deserter of a job market and a financial market that resemble hurricane Katrina. As I said before I’m not the smartest, but I do have a BA Degree and a MS Degree in Management. In order for me to support my house hold I must have some form of income coming into my house hold. To apply the same idea to the larger problem of the economy of the Unite States of America there must be some form of income coming in the America economy system which is known as the IRS. It is the people in America that or should be paying taxes to the IRS, but without a job or some means of bringing in some form of an income into the house hold of every American, means there wouldn’t be much in taxes paid to the IRS, and the situation with the economy will only get worst.

So, I think it will be wise to do something to help the American work force attain some form of an income like a job. Tax cuts to the rich and wealthy want work because they will only save the money the tax cuts will allow them to save, and not put the money into the economy. The last eight years tells me so.

January 27, 2009 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  13. Texas Teacher

I think it is nice that Obama wants to keep the Repubs in the loop... but seriously, I can't see why he should. They thumbed their noses at the Democrats at any all opportunities. And made no bones about it either! For decades... mind you....

I see, forget them... they are not qualified to even think about cleaning up the mess they have made with their failed policy, trickle down economics! How deep do they actually want to bury us? I'm spitting up in my mouth... excuse me!

January 27, 2009 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  14. Mike

For those of you that don't understand why tax cuts help improve the economy....It gives you and the companies more money. If you have more money, you will spend more money. By spending the money you help business make a profit. When business make a profit, they don't have to lay off workers, or shut down...they can actually hire more people.

January 27, 2009 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  15. chad

I cannot believe how ignorant some of the posts are here, but its cnn so what should I expect. Tax cuts worked for the last 7 years and the democrats failed on fannie mae and freddie mac. the 08 election was not a mandate for change; however, I hope the you people get the welfare state that you want because then the conservative movement will have to bail you sissys out

January 27, 2009 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  16. Larry

I HOPE this will be just like 1992 and NO Republican votes for this raping of American taxpayers,if they do VOTE NO ,they will win back both houses in 2010,Obamas plan is a BAD plan.

January 27, 2009 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  17. Mike

There are two major problems with Obama's plan. First, throughout history, stimulus packages have never helped the economy out of a recession. Second, his 825 billion dollar bill has very little stimulus in it and is basically a front for him to push through a bunch of wasteful spending. If you take a couple of minutes and look at all the junk that is in this bill you would realize that most of it has nothing to do with stimulating the economy. Obama says that his plan will create OR SAVE about 4 million jobs. At 825 billion, that is over $200,000 per job. He could help out 8 million people and give them $100,000 or he could help out 16 million people and give them $50,000. This stimulus plan will not work, and will only lead to record inflation.

January 27, 2009 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |