January 27th, 2009
11 months ago

Schneider: How to fill vacant Senate seats?

ALT TEXT

The confusion around the appointments of new senators from both Illinois and New York is causing many to call for an end to a governor's ability to appoint a Senate replacement. What's the best solution? CNN's Bill Schneider takes a look. (Getty Images)

1. jim

It is amazing to me to see that CNN does not even know this is a violation of states rights.

The bill is clearly a unconstitutional abuse of federal powers.

January 27, 2009 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  2. Jackie in Dallas

Let's go back a bit, here. Reid was not the person who wouldn't seat Burris. It was the Senate Secretary, and it was because his paperwork was not complete. That follows a Senate rule that is over 100 years old that they have never made exceptions for before. I.E. it was legitimate. As soon as Burris' paperwork was complete, he was seated and sworn in. I'm not a fan of Reid; personally I'd like to see both he and Pelosi replaced by Democrats with a clue but it is unfair to equate his rhetoric with what actually happened.

Personally, I think a vacancy in the House or Senate should trigger a special election for a replacement, to avoid just the kinds of turmoil we've had over Burris, and the situation in New York. And I think it would have been better - and probably faster - to do a special election in Minnesota with only the two top candidates on the ticket. However, that's a state call, and at least Minnesota had processes and procedures in place. I just think Coleman is being a sore loser - especially since his campaign lawyer was involved in the selection process of votes to count. He's like the little boy who says I'm taking my ball and going home!

January 27, 2009 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  3. Rick

The current process may be correct, but for Burris to cry racism is a crutch which is used by only those who want something for nothing, so maybe its time for the non colors to do identical and cry discrimination and racism.

January 27, 2009 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  4. cnnnewser

It's in the constitution that governors have this right, so, let the experts figure it out.
    My only view is that politicians who try and sell senate seats should be ousted from office immediately and not allowed to chose their successor.

January 27, 2009 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  5. PROUD DEMOCRAT.

The rules should change.

Governors should no longer be allowed to pick the Senators.......the people should decide via Special Elections.

We should also change the Governors impeachment process so that EVERYONE is allowed a fair process......after all this is not a communist country!

FAIRNESS and JUSTICE for all even if we don't like them or disagree with their political stance.

January 27, 2009 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  6. JA/TN

an election should be held, the original senator was elected, unless their is and automatic sucession plan in place already, recent antics make America look like Russia

January 27, 2009 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  7. Larry Houston TX

I agree with Darko on this one.....Or else if that can't happen, then go with Stacy from Leesburg Va......A "timeframe" should be placed...

January 27, 2009 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  8. mamasboy

There needs to be a special election I think Berris would do anything to become senate, I don't trush him.

January 27, 2009 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  9. Edna, PA

You start with closing all back doors. You start by not allowing bums such as Blagoboy to appoint senators who just want to be senators and not serve the people.

I'm African American and I'm ashamed of Roland Burris. What a pig.

January 27, 2009 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  10. Guy

How about this?
    The state congress and senate votes within 10 days on potential candidates

January 27, 2009 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  11. Kimberly

This guy is a self-serving arrogant jerk.

January 27, 2009 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  12. JC

Auction them off to the highest bidder. The Dems in Chicago know how things really work!

January 27, 2009 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  13. Gracie

Cleanly, Quickly and Efficiently. I think we give Governors too much authority in these cases. I feel there should be a stricter balance, a Governor can appoint, but only with the signed approval of the State Senate majority. This would help to eliminate any future "corruptible" situations.

January 27, 2009 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  14. obama-mama

Rick January 27th, 2009 1:44 pm ET

_____________________________________________________

What are non colors? You act like you're talking about a box of crayons

January 27, 2009 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |