January 28th, 2009
3 months ago

Obama: 'We don't have a moment to spare'

President Obama spoke after meeting with a dozen CEOs.
President Obama spoke after meeting with a dozen CEOs.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) – In a final push before the House votes on an economic stimulus package, President Obama said Wednesday that the country needs immediate action to solve rampant job loss.

Obama spoke after meeting with a dozen CEOs including Sam Palmisano of IBM and Dave Cote of Honeywell.

"The businesses that are shedding jobs to stay afloat ... and all those who live in fear that theirs will be the next job cut - they need help now," Obama said from the White House. "They are looking to Washington for action - bold and swift."

Filed under: President Obama
  1. sensible Cape Coral FL

Hey :Don't blame me" Read the damn bill. There is nothing in it for Acorn. Is it that you can't read ot that you can't be bothered by facts?

January 28, 2009 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  2. Wills Hopkins

Stop driving our country further into debt and depression. Stop this lunatic spending bill.

January 28, 2009 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  3. Simpliticus

Mr. "Don't blame me" doesn't get the ramifications of a steam roller effect once the economy goes into free fall. The Bush administration saved those institutions which it didn't want to fail while allowing those other or competitors to falter, rigging the system so to speak. There are more ghastly things to come and anticipated problems can be dealt with on a broad basis unlike that precipitated by Henry Paulson and George W. Bush with the first foray into the TARP funds. An equal but opposite force is required to counter the deepening recession and something must be done. By the way, ACORN really isn't involved in this but Limbaugh and the Republicans would want us to believe this because Limbaugh wants Obama to fail which aids and abets Limbaugh being saved and listened to!

January 28, 2009 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  4. Matt in Austin

I think that many of my republican friends live in denial of what is happening around us. Lost my job last week. You may be next... (I hope not). As soon as the republicans start losing their jobs, they will get the wake up call they need.

January 28, 2009 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  5. Pete

Snake oil salesman with dire predictions.

Be very careful, we are being hoodwinked and the press has no clue on what questions to ask.

January 28, 2009 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  6. CEO Profit's

I am an Obama supporter, but meeting with CEO's is a waist of time. It is the CEO's of big companies that mis-managed billions, so why trust these latest ones. He probably met with them to give them some comfort that help is on the way and to not layoff more folks, but these CEO's are shameless. As long as they are not meeting profit goals (but still actually making money), they will cut jobs.

January 28, 2009 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  7. THE OLD TIMER

let the depression come. remember folks you wanted change. now you have it and don,t like it...The news media did not vet this elected offical who is going to change everything.

the american public forgets real quick... Remember the constitution. It clearly states that who ever runs for the presidency must be a natural born u s citizen yet no one is interested in where this elected official was born...

would you believe Kenya. Why wont this elected official post his birth certificate in the oval office so this can be put to rest.

Why did the supreme court justices refuse to open the investigation as to where this elected official was born.. BECAUSE HE HAS SOMETHING TO HIDE.

January 28, 2009 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  8. Pete

Bold and swift? To words Obama has never, ever, previously uttered. What happened to cool and calculated?

January 28, 2009 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  9. angela M

All this talk about tax cuts is great if you have a job and a taxable life. The push for MORE tax cuts in the stimulus package will help the wealthy most. As one republican leader said, they will spend more money....yes on buying up foreclosure properties and businesses, stocks and bonds and make more money, get richer and of course continue the status quo. Doesn't anyone see this????

January 28, 2009 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  10. Jim

Danger!!, Danger Will Robinson!!

No time to think, just act mindlessly. If we wait, someone will realize that this "stimulus" bill is not about fixing the economy. It is about pork projects to advance the liberal agenda.

January 28, 2009 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  11. Yo! You...Dont blame me

Stop this ACORN nonsense, if the bill is full of pork... NAME THEM!!!
    I'll be glad to sign on any list against the pork in this bill!
    And it's the other way around, the spending is to get us out of a recession. How? While he fis the economy he helps people to get (temporary) jobs while all the infra-structure mess on this country (bridges and roads first please!) is dealt with.
    Those jobs won't last, obviously, but at least people will be working and fixing what was left untouched and uncared by the previous administrations (and I include Clinton's on that one).

January 28, 2009 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  12. Ula Nejad Sacramento, Ca

Copycat. That is what the republicans campaigned about while Ali-Baba came up with an outrageous economic plan. He sure is afraid of Rush to have him have second thoughts.

January 28, 2009 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  13. Anonymous

I'll sign on. Rush, you're an idiot. We all need President Obama to succeed. Rush doesn't have to sympathise with poor people and "the new poor people", but he should be able to empathise with people in this percarious predicament. God bless President Obama and The United States of America! That means rich and poor people, Rush.

January 28, 2009 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  14. Jenn

This is going to put us back years Please stop this. Cut the earmarks and pork on this bill you fruitcakes.

January 28, 2009 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  15. My job was outsourced to China and An illegal immigrant took my wifes job

Just remember that Wall Street and our lousy trade agreements are what got us in our current situation. Free trade and globilization is actually a world war. Countrys are cheating and using any means they can to win in our global trade war. The U.S. has been very naive and dosnt know there is a trading war, we have been busy kissing the ass of China just so a few greedy American billionaires can make a quick buck. Its time to stop borrowing from China place a tax on their imports or watch the U.S. go down the drain.

January 28, 2009 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  16. No Hillary = No Obama

With every decision he makes & every program he wants – Obama's ego will be on the line and that is his Achilles heel His behavior is driven by his ego.

January 28, 2009 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  17. My job was outsourced to China and An illegal immigrant took my wifes job

My name says it all

January 28, 2009 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  18. Maryann Rose

Wasn't it the Republicans who voted for the first bail out?

And didn't the Republicans add all that pork to it?

Why is it ok for Republicans to do it and not Democrats?

I'm not getting this double standard.

BTW – I'm totally AGAINST our gov't bailing out private corporations.

Oh, and ACORN isn't getting any bailout money – that's just a rumor started by .......some 'Comedian'.

January 28, 2009 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  19. CAL

dont blame me

you are an idiot. what do you know about pork spending you just heard mccain say it stop acting like you have a brain, obviously you don't.

January 28, 2009 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  20. Sarta

good luck Obama. Hoping to see you next month in Canada.

January 28, 2009 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  21. Scott AZ

So which is it Obama...do you want Government to bail out businesses as you spoke of a few weeks ago or, do you want businesses to do it on their own with government keeping out of the way as you just recently stated. Make up your mind Mr. President!

January 28, 2009 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  22. Vic of New York

Hey "Don't blame me":

Get a brain. The one caveat about free speach is that it gives you equal right to show you're a dim wit – but do you really want to do that, and would you do that if everyone knew who you are?

Here's my thought: I'd like to see tax cuts in the form of tax credits. My take is that giving everyone a blanket tax cut – like the Republicans suggest – in this economy is only going to give people like myself incentive to bank it against a job loss.

Tax credits for improving home efficiency and purchasing fuel efficient cars is an incentive. Even if I lost my job (temporarily) a tax credit would incent me to spend money to fix my home – especially if that credit could be applied against future earnings.

This has the benefit of encouraging spending as well as stimulating the economy by creating jobs and manufacturing.

January 28, 2009 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  23. Outspoken

Yeah, hurry up! Let's get this wasteful, socialist, obsenely-expensive program rammed through congress before someone actually READS IT!

January 28, 2009 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  24. mark from NY

this is the first time in my entire life that I see a president willing to help my country. BRAVO OBAMA!!!!!

January 28, 2009 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  25. Matt

Do I here inflation coming? If this is passed there will be plenty of it in the future.

January 28, 2009 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |