January 29th, 2009

Palin: PAC doesn't mean I'm running for president

Palin is heading to Washington this weekend.

Palin is heading to Washington this weekend.

(CNN) - Alaska governor Sarah Palin tried to beat back speculation she is already plotting a 2012 presidential bid Wednesday night, days after her newly-formed political action committee aroused suspicions to the contrary.

“No, not at all, not at all, no," Palin said definitely when asked if the new committee means she already has her eye on the White House.

Instead, Palin said her new PAC will help defray the costs of travel to events that may be construed as political.

"It’s helpful to have a PAC so that when I’m invited to things even like to speak at the Lincoln Day dinner in Fairbanks, to have a PAC pay for that instead of have the state pay for that because that could be considered quasi-political,"

Still, Palin is the first governor from Alaska ever to form a PAC, a move that has often preceded presidential runs.

"Now we’ll have an available source of funds so that we’re not coming close to any ethical line to be crossed in terms of travel or participation in events that will help Alaska, but could be seen perhaps as not worthy of state funding," she also said.

The former Republican vice presidential candidate also confirmed she is heading to Washington this weekend to attend the venerable Alfalfa Club Meeting, the annual closed-door gathering of the country's political elite.

President Obama is also expected to attend the event - the chief reason Palin said she wants to be there.

"How often will I have an opportunity to have dinner with the president," she said. "I will take up that offer to do so, yeah.”

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Al, NY NY

@James.... we are NOT NOT NOT afraid of her. You Palinites keep trying to infer that. We comment because she is such a laugh we can't help ourselves. By all means run the dimwit in 2012. Just be ready to be dissappointed as BHO is reelected in a landslide. The people that love her are the same 25% (Brain dead) that think Duh-bya did a good job. We want her to run. I will even register as a Republican (while holding my nose) just so I can vote for the Lipstick Fido in teh primaries.

January 29, 2009 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  2. Maggie from Virginia

Now she wants to schmooze with the Washington elite and pal around with President Obama. What a hypocrite.

January 29, 2009 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  3. CK4NYSenate2010

Are Tripp Trigg Tragg Trapp coming along too?

January 29, 2009 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  4. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

I wonder what she really is planning on doing... I think that she wants to be a VP candidate again because maybe she is realizing that she can't be president just yet. Maybe she is getting just a little smarter, although not much.

January 29, 2009 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  5. Laverne

Sarah Palin spare your family and the country any further grief and DO NOT DO IT! If you did decide to run, I am sure Joe the Plumber will be your running mate, tweedle dee and tweedle dum!

January 29, 2009 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  6. James at 46

When did I say I was a Palinite? I had asked a question. And what's with the "25% brain dead" poke?

January 29, 2009 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  7. Jackie

Ahhh....the stupid dems don't like it when they can't remain the victim. As their Hollywood moviestar, community leader BO said, we have 57 STATES.....stupid dems, and Tina Fey said "I can see Russia from my house" not Governor Palin, Tina Fey should have been elected as VP not JBimo. Dems are so stupid they don't know what is true or a lie. But as their great leader said, we have 57 states!!! I guess they don't teach American History at Harvard. God Bless Governor Palin!

January 29, 2009 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  8. Tracy

As a life long Dem I hope the new Chickenhawk Republican chant becomes "Run Sarah Run". Should be as effective as "Drill Baby Drill" and as well thought out.
    Have you people no shame.....at long last, have you no shame! Our country lanquishes on the brink of truly ending because of having been saddled with the "WORST" administration in our history. With all this misery going on your answer would be to send some silly small time mayor and governor to muck things up even more.
    Thankfully the voters of this country finally realized that barroom slogans to serious problems only make things worse.

January 29, 2009 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  9. Carl Justus

She could not win a dog catchers job in North Platt, Nebraska.
    All she wants to do is raise money so she does not have to spend her own on travel, jobs, hotel rooms, maids, and even groceries.
    What I so not understand who is dumb enough to send her money in the first place. There are many people that has to be dumber than she for sending their hard earned money or maybe it was given to them by the families estate and they do not have any sense of its worth.

January 29, 2009 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  10. samantha

GO AWAY PALIN!!

January 29, 2009 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  11. donna

Would this woman please go back to school and learn how to put a cohesive sentence together. Put some periods in there somewhere, for goodness sake!! Did she get her degree in a Cracker Jack Box

January 29, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  12. OBAMA 4 President

WHO CARES! DON"T YOU GET IT, ONLY THE PRESS IS STILL FASCINATED BY THIS WOMAN, she's a disgrace and it hurts me so much that I know a lot more than a US gorvernor, even 5th graders know more than her. She is A NATIONAL JOKE!

STOP WRITING ABOUT HER CNN!

January 29, 2009 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  13. Sue

James, I am one of those who is compelled to post every time. I guess the best way to explain it is, she is just the embodiment of everything that is wrong with this country. That she has an ounce of credibility speaks to the fact that there are people in this country who are SO politically ignorant, that they will believe anything they are told. Do you really believe she is competent? Intelligent? Honest? She is one of the most horrendous hypocrites I have ever seen in American Politics, and with this crop of fools, that is saying alot. I think those of us on the other side are giddy at the prospect of her running again. I, myself, hopehopehope she does. She guarantees my side another 4 years if she is the Republican Presidential Nominee. I find her interesting the way people stare at a car crash. She is such a disaster, I can't look away. And she is a window into the mentality of a good part of America that I have no contact with (thankfully). I find people who support her ceaselessly interesting. They trumpet their support for her ignorant of the fact that they are identifying themselves as imbeciles with no standards and no political knowledge. And, guilty, I can't get enough. Additionally, your misinterpretation of our excitement for fear is another window into your failure to recognize reality. You sould like a child- 'fraidy cat!'- when in reality, the fear is that she will NOT run. I actually think there are some who could give Obama a run for his money. She, however, is not among them. Don't be angry at those of us who are educated and who are paying attention. Don't resent the intellectuals. They will save this country, and your ignorant self in the process. You're welcome.

January 29, 2009 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  14. For a saner America

I love how she upsets liberals...

January 29, 2009 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  15. EC

Sarah.... Sarah.... Sarah....... like that's truly believable coming from you.

I wish you WOULD run in 2010 so you can feel the full brunt of a 2nd butt whooping FIRST HAND. If you haven't learned your lesson the first time, and if you haven't heard the millions of voices that made their choice very clear, then, by all means RUN for President AGAIN.

We'd love to remind you yet again.

January 29, 2009 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  16. C Squared

I'm sure Obama will acknowledge her presence, but I'm not counting on much more than that

January 29, 2009 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  17. Bill

I hear there is a volcano that is about to erupt in Alaska.
    I guess that makes Silly Sarah a vulcanologist!

January 29, 2009 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  18. WHITE CHRISTIAN SOCCER MOM FOR OBAMA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAAHA!
    HOW COULD ANYONE ELECT THAT PERSON FOR GOVERNOR?

January 29, 2009 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  19. Chris

OH please SARAH...go sit down some where. McCain gave you and Joe the plumber your five minutes of fame already!!!

January 29, 2009 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  20. Alex

Rope..Rope...Rope...let her have as much as she needs.

She'll either jump it, smoke it, or hang herself eventually.

Having dinner in a room with someone who hung out with terrorists, well isn't that special?

January 29, 2009 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |