January 29th, 2009
9 months ago

Sam Kass joins White House kitchen staff

(CNN) - There's a new face in President Obama's kitchen cabinet.

Sam Kass, the Obamas' personal chef in Chicago, was hired as part of the new White House kitchen staff. Kass will work under executive chef Cristeta Comerford, who has worked for both former Presidents Bush and Clinton.

Kass, a Chicago native, received his formal culinary training in Europe and traveled and cooked around the world.

When Kass, 28, returned to the United States, he founded Inevitable Table, a private chef service that provides personal shoppers to buy healthy food from local farmers and sends chefs to cook meals for kids or private parties. According to its web site, the business aims to "promote a healthy lifestyle that focuses on the quality and flavor of food to encourage good eating habits."

Filed under: President Obama
  1. BB

Wow – that's quite an honor - and at his age, I'm sure it will help with his career.

January 29, 2009 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  2. Ernie in LA

Another one from Chicago. Has the Illegal aunt moved in with the mother-in-law yet?

January 29, 2009 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  3. Sammy

Please explain the term "personl chef". It implies he cooked all their meals. I'm pretty sure that's not the case.

January 29, 2009 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  4. Grace

Wonderful, I know President Obama and First Lady Michele try to eat healthy and make sure their girls do too. So hiring their own Chef makes a LOT of sense.

January 29, 2009 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  5. S Callahan

hmmm I smell a franchise....that's getting people back to work! :-)

January 29, 2009 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  6. DavidinCA

Okay, I was wrong about what I thought about the Democratic administration's chance of success. There is one new job.

January 29, 2009 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  7. linda from South Dakota

nice chg,, president Obama,, whats the web site please,,,,,?????

January 29, 2009 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  8. Steve (the real one)

Gordon Ramsey not available? That would be a blast!

January 29, 2009 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  9. indy

A personal chef in Chicago? I thought the Obamas were like the rest of us. How many people have a personal chef?

January 29, 2009 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  10. Matt

Good to know Barack is going to be eating gourmet food. A lot of my friends lost their jobs this week. Would it be too much to ask the government to take a pay cut and get by with a little less of their perks and entitlements. It seems every company in America has frozen pay or cut pay and reduced all the perks.

But not our leaders, not one bit. They party on drinking it up and eating wagyu steak for dinner.

I wish I was elite.

January 29, 2009 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  11. desparate for news?

who is trimming his nose hair?

give us more Palin!!!

January 29, 2009 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  12. Survivor

What a cool Idea – a chef that shops from local farmers! Just think of the jobs that could create if done right.....It would promote the local economy – give local "bragging rights" support your chef, wait staff, cooks, farmers and gardeners....I like it.

January 29, 2009 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  13. Ed

They had a personal chef in Chicago?!? Wow...they're just regular ol' middle Americans...just like me.

January 29, 2009 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  14. Kris in AL

SENATOR OBAMA REALLY WAS A MAN OF THE PEOPLE..... HE HAD HIS OWN PERSONAL CHEF....... REALLY HELPED THE SENATOR MAINTAIN A RELATIONSHIP WITH THE STREET!

January 29, 2009 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  15. Andy

This just goes to show you how much the press loves the Obama's. When will we find out who gets to walk the dog? When will we find out who's going to wash the dishes? Oh I can't wait.

January 29, 2009 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  16. tanya b from sc

I think this is great! Pres. Is smart and thoughtful! He going 2 make liars out all rush fans!

January 30, 2009 07:45 am at 7:45 am |