January 30th, 2009
11 months ago

Obama hosts bipartisan Super Bowl party

Obama is rooting for the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Obama is rooting for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

(CNN) – Democrats and Republicans may cross party lines to join colleagues in rooting for their favorite teams at President Obama’s Super Bowl party on Sunday night.

Obama invited several members of Congress, including a few Republicans, to the White House residence on Sunday night to chow down on chips and dip and watch the game between the Arizona Cardinals and the Pittsburgh Steelers. At the daily press briefing on Friday, White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said this is a way of “bringing people together.”

“He'll have more members of Congress over here Sunday to watch the Super Bowl and, again, reach out to and get to know in a better way members on both sides of the aisle to see where we can work in concert to improve the lives of the American people,” Gibbs said.

Gibbs joked that his deputy, Bill Burton, would provide seven-layer dip. But he said there’s no wagering allowed at this party.

Full list after the jump

Obama’s list of invited guests is as follows:

Sen. Bob Casey (D-PA)
Sen. Dick Durbin (D-IL)
Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-MN)
Sen. Arlen Specter (R-PA)

Rep. Elijah Cummings (D-MD)
Rep. Artur Davis (D-AL)
Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-CT)
Rep. Charlie Dent (R-PA)
Rep. Mike Doyle (D-PA)
Rep. Trent Franks (R-AZ)
Rep. Raul Grijalva (D-AZ)
Rep. Paul Hodes (D-NH)
Rep. Eleanor Holmes-Norton (D-DC)
Rep. Patrick Murphy (D-PA)
Rep. Fred Upton (R-MI)

Filed under: Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. Ambrose Smith, Borrego Springs, California

Mr. President,

I suportined you during the primaries and during the election. I even gave to your campaign every month. But we disagree on who we want to win.

I do not want the Steelers to win because if they win, they will have won more Super Bowls than any other team. (6)

And I don't want that!

I am not a fan of the Cardinals either but I will be rooting for them BIG TIME!

Have a good time at your Super Bowl bash, Mr. President. But I hope you are disappointed in the end!

Signed,
    Ambrose Smith of Borrego Springs, California

January 30, 2009 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  2. Leo

I agree with you Shannon. I could care less about Obama having a party. Lets worry about the American people who will be suffering today, Sunday, and many more days to come while you eat your "chips and dip."

Look, I dont work 24/7 and I dont ask that our leaders do, but come on lets do SOMETHING before we party shall we?

January 30, 2009 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  3. JESSY

the one and only obama! smart move!

January 30, 2009 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  4. Terry

I think this is very smart business on behalf of President Obama. Building a personal relationship with his partners on the hill - across party lines - opens opportunities for team building. Team building on the hill is what we need to build a consensus on good policies that will get our country back on it's feet. The hell with the party system (from my experiences there is just as much racism and divisiveness in our country caused by political party lines as there is by the color of peoples skin). We need a unified team of leaders working together for the common good of all americans, not just for the wealthy. - GOCARDS!

January 30, 2009 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  5. Texas Teacher

Republicans merely laugh at the naivete of the Democrats. They have no intention of doing anything that makes the Democrats stronger!

And they wish only to continue the policies that brought us to this mess. Trickle down Economics does NOT work. They have been proving it since Reagan! And yet they want to continue it.... hell, yes... it makes them rich! And their cronnies as well!

Please Mr. President... forget them and keep your promises!

January 30, 2009 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  6. Katie

Yes, can we all come and watch the super bowl. President Obama for being the first democrat I have ever voted for I am very proud of you and what you are trying to do to help the USA.

I also say to everyone BUY USA! Bring products and services back to the USA.

January 30, 2009 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  7. Obama Administration -- Day 10

THIS is bipartisan. He's got Democrats from Pennsylvania (Casey, Doyle, Murphy), Republicans from Pennsylvania, (Specter, Dent), a Democrat from Arizona (Grijalva), and an Arizona Republican (Franks)! He's got Democrats and Republicans, Cards supporters and Steelers supporters, and probably a few people there rooting for the commercials! After all, this IS Congress! Obama's reaching across the aisle in more ways than one!

(Rooting for the Cardinals, but predicting the Steelers.)

January 30, 2009 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  8. Big Ed

Sounds good!

January 30, 2009 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  9. Texas Teacher

Pardon me if I am not estatic about a football game! I have larger concerns... like why is my dollar buying less at the same time my pay is suffering. What will happen to my relatives who face the possibility of losing their jobs with the lay offs everywhere. I know there are still things to enjoy and feel good about... but it surely is hard right now for the average American! :(

January 30, 2009 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  10. Frank

Geesh – I pity the man – who wants a bunch of fuddy duds over to watch a Steelers game – that's a dish best served 'casual'

January 30, 2009 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  11. Mickie

I think this is a great idea; the more the different party members get together in casual settings, the more they learn about one another and how/why they think the way they do. It's a great way to build bridges and have a chance to work together to solve our country's problems - TOGETHER.

And, oh yeah . . . GO STEELERS!!

January 30, 2009 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  12. Scott L

How come every appointee by Obama is WHITE?

Bush put Condi Rice and Colin Powell is the most senior positions in his cabinet last time I checked.

Michael Steele gonna stick it to the DNC.

January 30, 2009 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  13. J

I really like what the President is doing, in order for one to really know who they have to work with, you have to interact with them in more than setting. That is why many sport teams have dinners the night before a game. Shannon, what do you mean get to work? He has done more in the last 2 weeks then Bush has done in the past couple of years. Great job Mr. President! The only thing that I would have to disagree with is that the Cards are going to win this one.

January 30, 2009 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  14. Mave in ca

fantastic! it's great to see our prez being a regular guy, although he's rooting for the wrong team. i'm waiting 4 the 9ers comeback so i can have my team win #6!

January 30, 2009 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  15. D in Phoenix

What, no Kyl or McCain from Arizona?

But then again, he does want everyone else at the party to have a good time!

Those two would probably spend the whole time complaining about the excessive amount of taxpayer money spent on the sound system!

January 30, 2009 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  16. G

Don't try so hard Obama didn't you hear Rush Limbaugh runs the republican party now they will oppose everything you propose.

January 30, 2009 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  17. Stephen from Baton Rouge

joe January 30th, 2009 6:03 pm ET
    Sounds like a rockin' party. Bunch of party animals on that list right there

Actually joe he did invite John McCain, as well as Jon Kyl. Shockingly, both declined

January 30, 2009 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  18. Jean Jolicoeur (Plantation, Florida)

I really don't see why Obama has to do all that. Republicans don't want to come along then he shouldn't bother. If the people wanted their economic plans, they would have voted for them. it's clear Obama's economic recovery plan won the election.

Republicans put us in this situation in the first place. Now, they are acting like if they are not responsible. Back in the summer last year when Democrats were ringing the alarm that we were heading toward a recession, Republicans were all saying that it wasn't true. So why do they think they know how to fix it now.

Democrats should let republicans take a sit back and let them reverse what they have caused.

January 30, 2009 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  19. The CSA has lost again

Nothing like a good Iron City beer to go with the game.

January 30, 2009 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  20. Black-n-Gold Rules

Red States, Blue States, White House. We CAN have it all with the current President. Go Steelers.

January 30, 2009 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  21. Anupam

"shannon", get a life!! "Communication takes place when you open the door and invite people in" ….. well said "Oregon">

January 30, 2009 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  22. Adelita

wow – except for Susan Gail these are the least venomous and divisive comments I've ever seen on the Ticker! Maybe there is hope!

January 30, 2009 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  23. Jero

haha, at least change has come to the white house, no other president would do this!

January 30, 2009 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  24. 4 Years and counting down

is that Obama`s list of bipartisian way for him to buy votes

January 30, 2009 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  25. Paul H

Good, maybe there will be change for both parties. Maybe just maybe they will meet in the middle on something for once, and stop imposing it's will on the other party. This happens on both sides people. We have one government not two parties.

January 30, 2009 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |