January 31st, 2009
7 months ago

People: Smithsonian requests Aretha's hat

Aretha Franklin performed at Obama's inauguration.
Aretha Franklin performed at Obama's inauguration.

Michelle Obama’s now-famous Jason Wu gown isn’t the only piece of Inaugural fashion that is headed for the Smithsonian. The museum is also requesting the now-iconic hat that Aretha Franklin wore while singing at the swearing-in.

Aretha, however, is still undecided about parting with her Luke Song-designed hat. “I am considering it. It would be hard to part with my chapeau since it was such a crowning moment in history,” says the Queen of Soul.

Full story

Filed under: Inauguration • Popular Posts
  1. Linda K.

I wasn't crazy about the hat, but Arethra Franklin has earned the right to wear whatever she wants. I do hope she puts it in the Smithsonian. It's definitely unforgettable.

January 31, 2009 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  2. LMC in Seattle

I admire Aretha's style! If I could carry off a hat like that, I would! I would love to see it in the Smithsonian, but I would love to see it on Aretha again as well!

January 31, 2009 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  3. Chris

Maybe they're having a party and they need something to serve bean dip in.....

January 31, 2009 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  4. sandee in Portland

A great talent with a very high style hat! Gorgeous! Donate it Aretha. Not everyone gets an offer from the Smithsonian!

January 31, 2009 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  5. recnepS

The hat is marvelous and she looks good in it. I'd like to put a cool 100G's on it and give it to my moms on Mother's Day.

January 31, 2009 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  6. Jeanine

I imagine it could be called iconic...of course I think the best reason to put it in a museum is so that it won't accidently injure anyone.

January 31, 2009 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  7. elena schrank

"the Emperor wears new clothes"

January 31, 2009 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  8. obama all the way

it's your choice, you are the greatest.

January 31, 2009 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  9. T-Kos

I think it's an audacious, spectacular hat. That said, I think it should be shared. It had jaw-dropping impact on Inauguration Day.

January 31, 2009 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  10. Herself

I love a good curator.I hope she does give them that hat. Its epic!

January 31, 2009 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  11. Go Aretha

The hat was lovely. Only a woman who truly understand hats can relate to this. Hats are popular accessories in wardrobes for church attire and special events for black women and women of other races.

January 31, 2009 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  12. Jimbo

I knew the minute I saw her standing there in that hat this was going to be a big thing. It was awesome and I hope whoever created it gets rich making tons more of them.

January 31, 2009 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  13. Tatyana

Let Aretha have her hat. If she wants to give it up then let her but if she doesn't want to then she doesn't.

January 31, 2009 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  14. farah

What about the hat I was wearing that day... It was part of history,,, I don't hear the museum people knocking at my door.

January 31, 2009 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |