February 2nd, 2009

Gregg accepts Commerce offer, Newman to take his seat

Gregg confirmed Friday he is under consideration to be the next Commerce Secretary.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Two senior administration officials say Judd Gregg has accepted an offer to be Commerce Secretary. An announcement will be made Tuesday morning at the White House.

UPDATE: Late Monday, political sources in New Hampshire confirmed to CNN's John King that Lynch will name Bonnie Newman, former chief of staff to Gregg, to fill out his term in the Senate. Sources from both parties confirmed the move.

Full story

Filed under: Judd Gregg • Obama administration
  1. peter from Orlando florida

One step a way democrats of fulfilling the fillibuster if Minnesota has to conclude it recount soon.

Obama/Biden 2012

February 3, 2009 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  2. Franky

Commerce Sec, this guy?? Let's see if he got game in this department, plus, it is a tough job. Ohh yeah, right? Gov Richardson was in that position for it but I remember with the investigation going on. Yep, those cray Dems do remind me of the GOP. Plus, if there's anyone who was a deep connection is Lou with the Commerce Sec. Yep, it is hard to satisfy Lou, who knew Independents would be more difficult than Paris Hilton...we meet ladies all the time like that, LOL!! I'm playing, I'm playing.

Have a good evening guys...

February 3, 2009 12:14 am at 12:14 am |
  3. Mark

Wow, finally someone who actually pays their taxes. This will be odd for the rest of obama's cabinet, they will be saying things like, "why did obama pick this guy, did he pay his taxes, no one does that anymore"

February 3, 2009 12:26 am at 12:26 am |
  4. aliou

Another Republican?
    What's wrong with Obama? Republcians had 8 years to do what they wanted. They put us in the ditch were we are. Obama is still out there asking them what to do?

If I thought they know what to do, I would have voted for them.!!!

If they knew what to do, they would have told 43 what to do. They ran cowardly under cover and let their president and their batallion of lobbyists manage our country to destitution.

Obama, I voted for you. Kick the Republicans to the curb

February 3, 2009 12:29 am at 12:29 am |
  5. Mark

Isn't the vice president the guy who said paying taxes is patriotic...so is he saying daschle and geithner are "unpatriotic"??? Some liberal, please answer that question with some blanket answer obama has programmed into your head...I can't wait to hear it

February 3, 2009 12:34 am at 12:34 am |
  6. J.V.Hodgson

A good deal and a great idea, never mind the issue of the Senate filibuster as thats all nonsense Franken is not certain and depends on other dems who might not support policy like at least 3 of them.
    Anyhow pundits have it a Republican will replace Gregg!!
    Regards,
    Hodgson.

February 3, 2009 12:51 am at 12:51 am |
  7. TheTruthHurts

Good. As long as the man will do a good job, I don't care what party he's from. I do care who his friends are however.

February 3, 2009 12:54 am at 12:54 am |
  8. Lynn R Chong

Speaking as a New Hampshire Democrat who worked very hard the last two years for election of a Democratic President – I am hugely disappointed and even angry over the selection of our bad Sen. Gregg to be Sec. of Commerce. We wanted to defeat him in 2010. What kind of Democrat is our Gov. Lynch? He's so moderate that he's a Republican in sheep's clothing. This is not going well with Democrats around the state. We feel betrayed. Obama is monkeying with our state politics and doesn't care. To boot, we are one of the states to be given the least amount of economic stimulous money. I'd say Obama-Biden used us and now they're done with us. Further, Gregg, as Sec. of Commerce, would, in addition to other charges, have responsibility for "use of the environment and oceanic life." That has been abuse the last eight years under Republicans, and now Obama is giving that charge to Gregg? I'd say that shows Obama is a city-slicker and has no appreciation for the land and the oceans. My donations are going to revert to the environment and no more political money from me, Mr. "Poor Judgement" Obama.

February 3, 2009 01:08 am at 1:08 am |
  9. bsmith171

it's odd. why would gregg take a third level cabinet post.
    obama wants to use him as a wedge when they start looking at entitlements.

February 3, 2009 02:06 am at 2:06 am |
  10. Steve

So, in other words, when Obama spoke of bipartisanship, he meant it.

I'm sure this will confuse many on both sides.

February 3, 2009 02:23 am at 2:23 am |
  11. Dorothy Bell

Lest we forget our new President is a gamesmen. During the election he played it cool. He played fair, stuck to the plan and the important issues while the opposing team rutted around in the mud, eventually ending up with nothing more than mud on their piggy faces. He is doing the same with the stimulus package. He will win and we all will win. We elected the right man for the job.

February 3, 2009 02:35 am at 2:35 am |