February 2nd, 2009

Obama e-mails supporters to meet, push for stimulus bill

The president is asking supporters to host gatherings next weekend to push for his economic stimulus plan.

(CNN) - President Obama sent a message to supporters Monday personally calling them action behind his agenda for the first time since his inauguration.

The president’s message was sent by Organizing for America — the former campaign apparatus that is now a two-week-old arm of the Democratic National Committee — to anyone who was involved with an Obama house party during the campaign season.

The president is asking them to host similar gatherings next weekend to push for his economic stimulus plan. That package, which passed the House last week without Republican support, is currently being considered by the Senate.

“I hope to sign the recovery plan into law in the next few weeks,” said Obama in the e-mail. “But I need your help to spread the word and build support. … You can help restore confidence in our economy by making sure your friends, family, and neighbors understand how the recovery plan will impact your community.”

Last week, Organizing for America director Mitch Stewart sent a similar message announcing the gatherings.

Event hosts will be sent statistics on how Obama’s plan might affect their state, and given a downloadable party kit, similar to the one provided by the group when it held the first round of home gatherings earlier this month.

The house meetings are scheduled for next weekend, February 6-8.

Filed under: OFA • President Obama
  1. JJ12345

How about the Democrats that voted against it, shouldnt they have to retire as well. Where are the demands for them roll over and kiss the Presidents feet.

February 2, 2009 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  2. John

Again, no mention of the 11 House democrats who voted against the stimulus.

February 2, 2009 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  3. Matt

@ Bill in California, who said "Whether it"s the lemmings following eachother over the cliffs into the sea or the lockstep of brainwashed followers of a dictator the result is always the same."

No kidding...look at what those lemming GOPers did to us over the last 8 years and where we are now as a direct result of their warmongering and errant mismanagement of the country.

February 2, 2009 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  4. person

I am really glad I received this email because forget the house reps and senators they don't know what we want.

February 2, 2009 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  5. Bob in Pa

Look deep into this bill. Big O's message of wasteful pork will not be fulfilled here.

February 2, 2009 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  6. Simmy

To aware and fellow comrades: Shut the hell uupppp!

Republicans aren't capable of bipartisanship. They are determined to undermine everything President Obama does because they hate that he won, and they hate the way he won (365 Electoral) vote. Get a life please. You'll have your turn again in 2016.

February 2, 2009 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  7. person

You know what I am really tired of reading the threatening comments by "AWARE". what are you trying to say that our POTUS is black and we should be afraid of him?? You are the reason people hate our country and Obama is trying to change that.

February 2, 2009 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  8. Dan, TX

How many rich people are signing paychecks. Not many these days. If poor people can't buy things, rich people aren't going to hire anyone. Money should be going to people making less than $150,000 a year, period. No business or individual making more than $150,000 a year in profits or take home pay should be getting a tax break.

February 2, 2009 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  9. Bob in Pa

Arlene,
    Do you really blame the economy on one person ? There are more rattlers in Congress and the Senate who are all part and parcel of this mess. And they are still just waiting to strike at the weary citizen who walks by too close

February 2, 2009 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  10. Otto

I received the email and I will act upon it. While George Bush spent wastefully in Iraq and allowed his high rolling friends billions; there was hardly a peep out of you Hippocrates.

This guy took office less than three weeks and you are all ready to hang him.

Bush waste more than a trillion bucks in Iraq, plus the added funds needed to support out troops and the families of all the fallen an maimed.

A total of the Bush waste is beyond our comprehension and will cost several trillions.

Do you guys want something to complain about? Go complain to Bush and Cheney!

February 2, 2009 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  11. Dan, TX

I keep waiting for someone to point out one bit of pork in the bill. I haven't seen it yet. I have read the bill. Have you? There is very little pork there. Health insurance for people who lost their jobs and their health insurance along with it is pork? Really? Cutting taxes on poor people is pork but cutting taxes on wall street is stimulus? Really?

February 2, 2009 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  12. Gerry in Va. for Obama.

I got the e mail too and I am a supporter of President Obama HOWEVER, I DON'T SUPPORT THIS PIG PORK no matter how it's primped up... To ask the American people to support anything but a bill that has infrastructure rebuilding as it's major plan is nothing but a big slap in the face for the people who elected him on that promise. IF he wants our support HE can tell the Senate to get busy and fix the pig slop that the house turned out. How dare he ask anything else... IF the proper ingreadents are put into this bill I'm sure there will be few votes against it... JOBS MR PRESIDENT.... GOOD PAYING JOBS IS ALL WE ASK... NO BIRTH CONTROL.... NO QUIT SMOKING AIDES, JUST GOOD JOBS. REBUILDING OUR COUNTRY SHOULD BE NUMBER ONE ON YOUR (MR PRESIDENT) LIST OF THINGS TO DO.

February 2, 2009 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  13. lonnie

wake up america, republicans and democrats are both crooks spinning you. . . as long as they keep 90% of america drunk and stoned they're ahead of the game.

February 2, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  14. Scott L

If I ever got an email from someone saying they wanted to use my tax dollars to pay for their pork, I would instantly put that person in my auto-junk filter.

February 2, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  15. Chris

I support the President.
    I just want the pork taken out.
    I would like to see direct spending that will help the people get this country back on the right track.
    Now, that don't mean I support what the Republican are trying to do because the tax cut economics they are touting haven't worked in the past and probably will not work now.

February 2, 2009 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  16. Kathy in Michigan

You guys are late! I received emails two weeks ago.

Every Govenor is receiving calls and emails about this bill.

Those who block it will answer for it in 2010 and 2012.

Recovey.gov is not the only means of accountability.

February 2, 2009 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  17. Lynn in NM

Here's an idea. Instead of emailing everyone, why don't you come up with a bill WITH NO PORK? That was YOUR PROMISE when you were campaigning. Oh wait. You are a politician. What ever was I thinking? That you might actually meant what you said? What an idiot I was! My father was right when he said "Never support a politician – they are all liars, cheats and thieves". He certainly was correct on that one. I always said that I would know that I had failed as a parent if any of my children ever went into politics.

February 2, 2009 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  18. HouseDiva

lonnie

well said

February 2, 2009 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  19. NY republican

Can someone explain to me why a Democrat "tax credit" is good (or even different from a "tax cut") and a Republican "tax cut" of the same amount (or less) is bad?

February 2, 2009 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  20. NY republican

Dan, I guess you missed the part about the money for Planned Parenthood and SOME of the PAC's (not all just some like, I don't know ACORN).

February 2, 2009 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  21. HlB

I have been out of work for over 5 years, how can I apply for one of these jobs that Mr Obama is offering.
    Is their a local employment office in Chicago that I can apply to.

February 2, 2009 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  22. Big Al

Yes tax cuts during the Bush administrastion got us to a 14,000 DJIA and unemployment at historic lows. Home loans being made to individuals unable to replay were due to our friends at Freddie and Fannie.

February 2, 2009 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |