February 3rd, 2009

Elizabeth Edwards plans new book

Elizabeth Edwards is writing a new book.
Elizabeth Edwards is writing a new book.

(CNN) - Elizabeth Edwards has largely avoided the spotlight since her husband admitted to an extramarital affair last summer, but the wife of former presidential candidate John Edwards is certain to draw headlines when she releases a personal new book this spring.

In Resilience, scheduled for a May release, Edwards will discuss how she's dealt with difficult moments in her life — like her husband’s affair, said the publisher.

"She would exhibit…remarkable grace and courage again when the very private matter of her husband's infidelity became public fodder," Broadway Books said in a release announcing the upcoming publication of the book.

Edwards has repeatedly declined to discuss her husband's relationship with campaign videographer Rielle Hunter.

“[Edwards is] one of the most beloved political figures in the country, and on the surface, seems to have led a charmed life,” said publishers. “In many ways, she has. Beautiful family. Thriving career. Supportive friendship. Loving marriage. But she's no stranger to adversity. "

Edwards is also expected to discuss her ongoing battle with breast cancer, and the 1996 death of her 16 year-old son Wade.

Filed under: Elizabeth Edwards • Extra
  1. Embellish

Who cares about this book? Another cheating politician and their enabling "stand by your man " wife?!?!? Please just fade off into the background of private life. No one wants to hear about your personal problems. Do your kids a favor and keep it to yourselves!

February 3, 2009 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  2. John

I would love to tell everyone how I feel. Buy my book! Give me a break.

February 3, 2009 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  3. Pat Canada

This lady deserves a great deal of credit. For those who only have hatred and nasty comments try walking a mile in her shoes while carrying her cross and then comment. If you were fighting a life threatening illness and at the same time realized your husband had an affair how would cope? I fear not as well as this courageous lady as one has to love thy self and forgive others when facing such adversities.

February 4, 2009 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  4. montana miner

I will buy the book just to tweek CAMERON.

February 4, 2009 12:18 am at 12:18 am |
  5. Hand Baskets for many

I just watched the History channel.maybe the guy was right about 2012 being the end.The hate on this post sure makes me think so.

February 4, 2009 12:31 am at 12:31 am |
  6. Will

Thank God for "CNN Comments". It allows ugly thoughts and ugly feelings to be vomitted out of hateful people. How judgemental and hostile are the views expressed by so many here about John and Elizabeth. I feel sorry that my fellow human beings have to suffer these kinds of experiences and I hope they and their family recover in the process. Thank you again CNN. I would feel even more in danger if some of these people didn't have a chance to flush their hostile feelings and thoughts.

February 4, 2009 12:45 am at 12:45 am |
  7. JoeG

What happened to women? You fought to vote and to have equal rights yet you did not support Hillary or Sarah when they had the chance to hold the highest offices in the land.

And now we are supposed to honor a women who kept her mouth shut while knowing a lying womanizing adulterer was running for highest office in the land? Maybe my sexist friends are correct. Maybe giving women the right to vote was a mistake after all.

February 4, 2009 12:50 am at 12:50 am |
  8. Rusty Owens

I cannot express how much I admire Elizabeth Edwards. I always wished she could have run for President herself. She is such a successful, intelligent person. I am very pleased that she is going to have an outlet through which she can share her story.

Thank you for being yourself, Mrs. Edwards!

February 4, 2009 01:06 am at 1:06 am |
  9. bird

Hasn't this woman disappeared into private life yet? Oh, I guess not–a big media tell-all book tour so that everybody can shine the spotlight on her and her horrific husband all over again. I thought you want some privacy, lady...

I don't want to hear from you, and listen to one last thing from the American public: YOU ENABLED YOUR LOUSY HUSBAND TO CONTINUE DECEIVING US IN THE HEAT OF ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT ELECTIONS IN OUR HISTORY...have you no shame? It's one thing to have private, personal troubles (don't we all have our share), but to come out here and parade your uninteresting information is just beyond the pale. Oh, you have delusional fans–but people in the real world have better things to concern themselves with than with your salacious story.

I don't care what your self-serving publishers say, neither you nor your husband is by any means whatsoever one of the most "beloved" political figures in the country. Gag me with a spoon.

February 4, 2009 01:40 am at 1:40 am |