February 3rd, 2009

Elizabeth Edwards plans new book

Elizabeth Edwards is writing a new book.
Elizabeth Edwards is writing a new book.

(CNN) - Elizabeth Edwards has largely avoided the spotlight since her husband admitted to an extramarital affair last summer, but the wife of former presidential candidate John Edwards is certain to draw headlines when she releases a personal new book this spring.

In Resilience, scheduled for a May release, Edwards will discuss how she's dealt with difficult moments in her life — like her husband’s affair, said the publisher.

"She would exhibit…remarkable grace and courage again when the very private matter of her husband's infidelity became public fodder," Broadway Books said in a release announcing the upcoming publication of the book.

Edwards has repeatedly declined to discuss her husband's relationship with campaign videographer Rielle Hunter.

“[Edwards is] one of the most beloved political figures in the country, and on the surface, seems to have led a charmed life,” said publishers. “In many ways, she has. Beautiful family. Thriving career. Supportive friendship. Loving marriage. But she's no stranger to adversity. "

Edwards is also expected to discuss her ongoing battle with breast cancer, and the 1996 death of her 16 year-old son Wade.

Filed under: Elizabeth Edwards • Extra
  1. Andy J, Upstate NY

I feel bad for this lady.

John Edwards is a Grade-A SCUM BAG.

Another shining example of a Democrat being completely honest and virtuous. Notice how nearly all the scandals in the past 2 years have involved democrats? WAKE UP AMERICA, BOTH THESE PARTIES ARE CORRUPT.

Elizabeth, i wish you the best. You should kick your scum bag husband to the curb. Better yet, send him my way. I'll have a talk with him, if you want.

February 3, 2009 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  2. Monrob

I hope she trashes John the Snake!

February 3, 2009 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  3. Joyce Becker

Oh, good for you Elizabeth Edwards, I hope it is a best seller and you make a lot of money with it. You have had it all, the good times and lot of bad times. I wish you well.

February 3, 2009 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  4. ruty

Such a nice lady. Too bad she had to be put through this horrible mess in such a public way. My heart goes out to her. I hope her book is a smashing success. God bless.

February 3, 2009 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  5. yuri

Where is John Edwards hibernatin' these days? Is he havin' another haircut, perhaps? Or is it something else or someone else? We are dyin' to know.

February 3, 2009 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  6. Jackie in Dallas

Elizabeth Edwards is a role model for women today. She has handled the public scrutiny of her marriage, endured the media feeding frenzy as they tore apart her husband's career, and dealt with personal adversity with grace. She has faced two horrible issues in her own fight with cancer and the unmitigated disaster of losing her son.

I've yet to hear her voice criticism of her husband in public, or of the media which forced her into a humiliating situation of trying to deal with one of the most common occurances in a marriage - infidelity.

I'm not nominating her for sainthood, but she sure has dealt with more than the common problems without losing her cool. I'm looking forward to reading her book, which I cannot imagine a better title for than Resilience.

February 3, 2009 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  7. Cheryl Tx

Mrs Edwards is remakable Woman !!!

February 3, 2009 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  8. Matthew Truth

Another good Democratic choice for president. Good thing that it came out in public early that he cheated on his cancer patient wife, otherwise he would have been VP or Secretary of State. Now his poor little wife is writing a book. What a crock.

February 3, 2009 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  9. vic

I feel so sorry for her.
    She was done wrong then made a fool of by her husband and the press.
    Just another example of an innocent person being destroyed by the media and the self-righteous media freaks that run this country.
    Since when is it allowed for the media, mainly Hannity, Rush, and O'Reilly be the judge of American citizens? They ruined this womans reputation, plus the reputation of many others.
    They are the "McCarthy" idiots of our era, and they should be stopped.

February 3, 2009 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  10. Gracie

I would BUY and READ Mrs. Edwards's book BEFORE I buy a comic book written by the likes of Sarah Palin. This is a woman who has great intelligence and speaks with integrity. GOOD for her.

February 3, 2009 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  11. Bart Chedaho

Good for her!! I wonder if she'll comment on her husband's affair at all?

February 3, 2009 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  12. California Gold

Bless her heart. Mrs. Edwards has been through hell and back. What an amazing woman.

February 3, 2009 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  13. X Edwards Supporter

After feeling about as betrayed as she, with Senator Edwards Clintonesque behavior, I hope and pray that she can at least add civility and dignity in her ability to deal with her husbands shortcomings. She deserves the world.

February 3, 2009 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  14. Elfego Baca

Liz,
    Jettison that POS!

February 3, 2009 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  15. Kris in AL

FUNNY HOW SHE HAD SO MUCH TO SAY ABOUT HUSBAND JOHN WHEN HE.SHE WANTED HIM TO BE PRESIDENT.

HIS TRUE COLORS COME OUT AND THEN SHE HAS NOT A WORD TO SAY.

HOW ABOUT...... "YOU WERE ALL RIGHT, HE WAS A PRETTY-BOY ADULTERER?"

February 3, 2009 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  16. Carl

A great many people have or had cancer; a great many people had
    kids (some several) to have been killed or somehow died. It's
    doubtful a great many people were so wealthy looking for pity.
    Except, in your case Edwards, I certainly do pity you. You are without
    any doubt the most pathetic pig on the current landscape.

February 3, 2009 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  17. Grace Needed

We look forward to hearing from her in book format, where she can offer the best of her thinking and reflection. She is 'one of the best loved' for a reason. Women can relate to her because she has been authentic and genuine in sharing her pain and happiness. Many women share at least one part of what she has experienced and will rally to hear her "Resilience". I am sure her faith has been paramount to overcoming the latest pain of her husband's affair, as it was the earlier tragedies of her son's tragic death in a freak car accident and her ongoing struggle with breast cancer. Personally, I don't know how people get through life without FAITH. My husband says they don't! He says they just go through the motions of living without really living. I suppose this is true, especially when I take the time to look around me and watch others. We are proud of her for being willing to share so openly to help others and will be praying for her family's health and healing.

February 3, 2009 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  18. Veronica McNamara

I would have shown him the door the moment I heard of his infidelity. Who wants to be married to anyone who lies and cheats?

February 3, 2009 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  19. DD.

ELIZABETH IS A TERRIFIC LADY, GOOD WIFE, GOOD MOM, AND SINCE SHE HAS THESE QUALITIES, SHE MOST BE A VERY GOOD FRIEND TOO.
    GOD BLESS HER, AND HER FAMILY, AND HELP HER TO SOLVE ALL HER PROBLEMS, ESPECIALLY WITH HER HEALTH.

February 3, 2009 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  20. Bruce

Well, that doesn't affect me. As a Republican, I will not sacrifice my moral codes just to vote my party. Perry is one of the sleasiest governors we've ever had, and I promised Ms. Hutchison I would never vote for her again if she voted for that last stimulus package, and she did anyway.

So, even though I'm a Republican, I will vote for a Democrat for governor in 2010.

I actually like Palin, but she cannot tell me how to vote. I doubt she even knows Perry. And our state is about a lot more than guns. Has anyone ever noticed that Perry sees the same hair stylist as Blagojevich? It's not a coincidence.

February 3, 2009 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  21. disgusted already

Hey Elizabeth,
    Nobody Cares

February 3, 2009 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  22. Jim

Nice lady, sad circumstances. Wish her the best in her battle with cancer.

February 3, 2009 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  23. Bob in Pa

And we want to read this book why ?

February 3, 2009 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  24. bsmith171

would that book be on john edwards cheating $600K on his employment taxes and hiding $26MM in an phony "S" corp?

February 3, 2009 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  25. Dave

who cares, like her husband, she loves the spotlight almost as much as she loves herself!

February 3, 2009 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |