February 3rd, 2009

Elizabeth Edwards plans new book

Elizabeth Edwards is writing a new book.
Elizabeth Edwards is writing a new book.

(CNN) - Elizabeth Edwards has largely avoided the spotlight since her husband admitted to an extramarital affair last summer, but the wife of former presidential candidate John Edwards is certain to draw headlines when she releases a personal new book this spring.

In Resilience, scheduled for a May release, Edwards will discuss how she's dealt with difficult moments in her life — like her husband’s affair, said the publisher.

"She would exhibit…remarkable grace and courage again when the very private matter of her husband's infidelity became public fodder," Broadway Books said in a release announcing the upcoming publication of the book.

Edwards has repeatedly declined to discuss her husband's relationship with campaign videographer Rielle Hunter.

“[Edwards is] one of the most beloved political figures in the country, and on the surface, seems to have led a charmed life,” said publishers. “In many ways, she has. Beautiful family. Thriving career. Supportive friendship. Loving marriage. But she's no stranger to adversity. "

Edwards is also expected to discuss her ongoing battle with breast cancer, and the 1996 death of her 16 year-old son Wade.

Filed under: Elizabeth Edwards • Extra
  1. Liz in Texas

Hopefully she will dump her loser husband while she's at it!

February 3, 2009 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  2. james

I like Elizabeth Edwards. I do not care for Mister no show John. John used his office to try to become a Prez. He did NOt serve NC as he promised. He is NOT beloved as the article states by most. He LOST terribly even before the infidelity. The article is a false representaion of facts regarding his popularity. John could not win a job as a dogcatcher And you know it. To perpetuate false facts in order to restore Mrs. Edwards to some degree of honor was not neccesary. SHe is honorabl;e in her own right as a lady and a courageous woman in the fight for her life. I respect her and wish her blessings. But John has cause a burden on her at this stage in her life that is absolutely horrendous. Shame on the man who deceived his wife in her most vulnerable moment. God bless Elizabeth and God forgive John. I know he will...........Just ask.........That said...........I love them BOTH!

February 3, 2009 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  3. honestly

Love you, Elizabeth Edwards. We wish you the best and sending good thoughts and prayers your way!

February 3, 2009 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  4. VA

Elizabeth- I feel the same way

February 3, 2009 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  5. frank

retire to private life! leave us alone
    shame on you...you knew and kept silent

now writting a book..making money off the demb public
    shame on you
    stay home with your husband "in sickness and in health"

February 3, 2009 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  6. david

this lady deserves the husband she has. this "ken" probably had more affairs in the past thet she will ever know. this lady does not have the guts to drop the hubby , probably for money and her way to deal with it is "writing a book", get a life and give your daughters a good example and get a divorce.

February 3, 2009 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  7. Jane

Yep i guess cnn wouldn't print my words because I said her husband was a looser and she should have grown a pair; throwing his cheating butt to the curb. censors

February 3, 2009 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  8. Weareallfamily

give this guy a break, he actually did some stuff, you know like help the poor, fight for healthcare as well as defend the average person against the establishment before and he was senator. john edwards wasn,t a complete sell out like the other three. so before you attack him remmember that he lost partially because he defended his principles, so who gives a "you know" about his affair.

February 3, 2009 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  9. kimthejournalist

It should be called "If I did it: How I'm going to kill John Edwards." Because if that was my husband.... I would go Waiting to Exhale on his a__.

February 3, 2009 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  10. Piret

It seems to me she tries to make money off of that affair. It is a scandal and there are people who are dying to know about this little secret. Personally, I can care less about her life. Washing your dirty laundry in public is not something I would prefer and I am not interested in reading about it. It is a waste of money and time if someone actually will read that book.

February 3, 2009 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  11. Ally

Dear Elizabeth,

We'll never meet but after reading much of what I've seen above, I can only say that there is much in the world that needs reflecting. Sadder than any pain of betrayal is the knowledge that some people, and I bet even a few who are being paid to hawk this trash on line, are at this level of humanity. I hope you haven't taken the time to read any of the above sans the many who are heartfelt. No one deserves the rest of this nonsense. How scary it is to think we live among people who could write such garbage hiding under the shield of anonymity. You, my friend, make the difference. I am glad that there are people like you in this world at a time when I, too, grace it.

February 3, 2009 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  12. bankrupt USA

This is the best idea yet to make money off her husband's love affairs which I thought they wanted to keep a private matter.

February 3, 2009 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  13. Leslie Somerville

Yes, that's right–you now know the Edwards' family needs some cash, so you are going to write a stupid-scummy book, about crap nobody wants to hear about–GO AWAY!!

February 3, 2009 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  14. LINDA K. IA.

I really don't know why some of you have to be so cruel and say such bad things. I hope Elizabeth does not read these terrible things.
    Life is not always fair and one never knows when we might get caught up in these sort of circumstances. Our lives can take some unplanned turns and we may not deserve to be dealt the bad things but we have to somehow. Leave her alone, if you can't say something nice, just leave her alone!

February 3, 2009 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  15. yeti

good lord. you and hillary set woman's liberation back at least thirty years but sticking around. thanks for nothing.

i know my wife would leave if I ever had an affair and i wouldn't blame her. my wife has more of a backbone than either of those two.

February 3, 2009 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  16. Gregory

Good Health and God Speed Elizabeth. Do your thing!!! Write your book.....

February 3, 2009 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  17. Michiganfan

Seriously, who cares! Your husband cheated on you and you can't stop talking about it. Please, go home, take care of your self and your children and let's move on.

February 3, 2009 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  18. Cameron

I don't find anything commendable about a woman who knowingly helped cover up her husband's affair so he could continue to run for President. No regard for anything but themselves, ego and greed. To play sympathy card (i.e., death of son, infidelity etc) for money is dispicable. Thousands of people are living lives of great integrity and dignity after enduring terrible tragedies, and do it without wealth or 20,000 square foot mansions. No one should spend two cents on her book.

February 3, 2009 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  19. Annette

I agree with the people who could care less about this old lady she is trying to get her 15 minutes of fame, why would anyone want to read about her problems the people that would buy this book is just making her rich and she has nothing to enrich anyone else life but her own. She should have been a better wife her husband would have not cheated, is a cheat and he will do it again and again. DO NOT BUY HER BOOK!!!! Take the money and use it on your family she needs professional help.

February 3, 2009 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  20. Steve

Reading these comments makes me hope that someday we can all put aside our strong political views for a minute and show some respect for others. In the past year, I've read horrifying comments regarding people on both sides of the political spectrum, such as Tony Snow who recently died, and Ted Kennedy, battling brain cancer. I am a conservative, and I have strong opinions about these and other people and their views, but there's an appropriate time and way to show it, and taking shots at others in dire situations is just wrong.

February 3, 2009 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  21. Linda in MS

Qiuz for the day.

What do all three of these Republican Congressmen have in common? John McCain, David Vitter, and Bob Livinston

All of them have wives they cheated on. Only two have wives that didn't divorce them. McCain divorced the wife he was cheating on.

February 3, 2009 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  22. nonniebonnie

No, thanks, Elizabeth. I won't be buying your book, or reading it. You had my full support until I learned you knowingly covered up for your husband. Wish you well, still. But I'm so grateful now that you and John did not make it to the White House.

February 3, 2009 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  23. Bethany

How could you use the words "charmed life" for anyone who has lost a child? There is a devastating emptiness that you have to live with for the rest of your days. So much insensitivity in these comments.

February 3, 2009 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  24. TrueIndependent

Trash him, get paid lots of money, then drop his sorry rear.
    Good night.

February 3, 2009 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  25. Georgie Washintong

Hey Obama, your congress should start the day, with I Pledge Allegiance. "to pay my taxes". That would be CHANGE !

February 3, 2009 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |