February 3rd, 2009

Elizabeth Edwards plans new book

Elizabeth Edwards is writing a new book.
Elizabeth Edwards is writing a new book.

(CNN) - Elizabeth Edwards has largely avoided the spotlight since her husband admitted to an extramarital affair last summer, but the wife of former presidential candidate John Edwards is certain to draw headlines when she releases a personal new book this spring.

In Resilience, scheduled for a May release, Edwards will discuss how she's dealt with difficult moments in her life — like her husband’s affair, said the publisher.

"She would exhibit…remarkable grace and courage again when the very private matter of her husband's infidelity became public fodder," Broadway Books said in a release announcing the upcoming publication of the book.

Edwards has repeatedly declined to discuss her husband's relationship with campaign videographer Rielle Hunter.

“[Edwards is] one of the most beloved political figures in the country, and on the surface, seems to have led a charmed life,” said publishers. “In many ways, she has. Beautiful family. Thriving career. Supportive friendship. Loving marriage. But she's no stranger to adversity. "

Edwards is also expected to discuss her ongoing battle with breast cancer, and the 1996 death of her 16 year-old son Wade.

Filed under: Elizabeth Edwards • Extra
  1. jm

I feel awful for Elizabeth Edwards. I do believe she is admirable, but her husband is such a tool, that I lose respect for her because of her unyielding devotion.

February 3, 2009 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  2. 2Nurselady

I am very much looking forward to this book. It is about time Elizabeth's voice is heard. She is a beautiful woman inside and out and she certainly has handled all that is adverse that has come her way in life. Bless her.

February 3, 2009 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  3. Edward Alexander

I wish her much success.She is bright and intelligent and extremely
    attractive .Apparently her husband does not appreciate what he has in her.

February 3, 2009 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  4. Ted in NC

Ummm, isn't that a stretch?

February 3, 2009 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  5. Susan

I am sick of ppl trying to cash in by writing a book. Everybody does write on. Even Joe, the Plumber has one.

February 3, 2009 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  6. A shame

It's a shame this woman has had to endure the loss of a child and such a long battle with cancer only to have the father of her children and supposed partner humiliate her with his lies. I always thought that guy a giant tool ... turns out my instincts were on target.

February 3, 2009 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  7. Republican in NC

Mrs. Edwards you are a remarkable and admired lady. Wish you only the best of everything. It is a horrible thing that you are going through and just remember you are in everyone's thoughts and prayers. God will take care of these issues. We stand up for you during these unnecessary difficult times. You are such a lady.

February 3, 2009 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  8. JA/TN

no human is above the frailties of this thing called life, to include the temptations

February 3, 2009 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  9. Pat, CA

"Loving marriage" . . . ? Thanks but no thanks - don't want one like THAT.

February 3, 2009 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  10. Erik in Iowa City

I've always found Elizabeth Edwards to be a strong, no-nonsense speaker, even better than Hillary Clinton. I wish her the best.

February 3, 2009 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  11. Mickie

Good for her. I'm sure she will continue to be an inspiration to all of us.

February 3, 2009 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  12. peter from Orlando florida

Many best wishes to you Edward and your lovely husband John if not the most lover of all time.

February 3, 2009 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  13. witch

I look forward to reading this book. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 3, 2009 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  14. J.P.

I hear the working title is "How I Survived Cancer While My Husband Diddled With the Hired Help and Became a Baby Daddy, and You Can Too."

February 3, 2009 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  15. Billy, NYC

Elizabeth Edwards is a very strong woman that I admire very much. It is hard to imagine how she could juggle family, champaging with her husband and battling cancer at the same time; and knowing her husband's affair with another woman. I wish her the best.

February 3, 2009 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  16. S Callahan

Good for you Elizabeth....
    When you lose a family member, especially a child, it changes you and the 'stuff' that bothers other people just doesn't seem to matter anymore. You have been challenged, indeed. But you also have a great story of faith to share about rising above it all....tell the secret...which some of us already know! God Bless.

February 3, 2009 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  17. Mari

I hope Elizabeth Edwards, is at peace & her children are well.

February 3, 2009 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  18. Butch Dillon

Sad though the infidelity episode is, Elizabeth Edwards did not seem to hesitate in turning into a money making proposition with her book. They all complain when their "privacy" is invaded but if there's a sniff of profit in it people like Edwards are the first to sell their stories. No need to pity this capitalist.

February 3, 2009 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  19. Lilarose in Bandon, Oregon

If John Edwards became a father due to the affair, and if Elizabeth doesn't discuss this, then the book isn't worth buying.

I voted for Edwards, I sent money to his campaign.

I want the danged truth!!!!!

February 3, 2009 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  20. R Wolf

All the best to you in everything you do. You are truly a remarkable woman and a role model for amazing strength and quiet dignity. So many people love you and admire your courage. Thank you for giving us someone to look up to.

February 3, 2009 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  21. Linda

Does it bother the editors, publishers, etc., that RESILIENCE is also the title of Alonzo Mourning's recent autobiography?
    Maybe some variety...

February 3, 2009 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  22. Big Ed

I admire her strength and courage.

February 3, 2009 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  23. j williamson

All the best to the marvelous Mrs. Edwards! She not only has survived, she's transcended.

February 3, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  24. Griff

Another Movie??

February 3, 2009 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  25. the heart of the matter

i wouldnt even pick up the book to look at the cover–she was willing to STILL allow him to blow the party out of the water–AND he's never truly come clean..so a leopard doesnt change its spots and moeny isnt everything........i dont have a lot of respect for either of them–though its never fun to be in the negative limelight....i'm not big on the stand by your man thing

February 3, 2009 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |