February 3rd, 2009

Elizabeth Edwards plans new book

Elizabeth Edwards is writing a new book.
Elizabeth Edwards is writing a new book.

(CNN) - Elizabeth Edwards has largely avoided the spotlight since her husband admitted to an extramarital affair last summer, but the wife of former presidential candidate John Edwards is certain to draw headlines when she releases a personal new book this spring.

In Resilience, scheduled for a May release, Edwards will discuss how she's dealt with difficult moments in her life — like her husband’s affair, said the publisher.

"She would exhibit…remarkable grace and courage again when the very private matter of her husband's infidelity became public fodder," Broadway Books said in a release announcing the upcoming publication of the book.

Edwards has repeatedly declined to discuss her husband's relationship with campaign videographer Rielle Hunter.

“[Edwards is] one of the most beloved political figures in the country, and on the surface, seems to have led a charmed life,” said publishers. “In many ways, she has. Beautiful family. Thriving career. Supportive friendship. Loving marriage. But she's no stranger to adversity. "

Edwards is also expected to discuss her ongoing battle with breast cancer, and the 1996 death of her 16 year-old son Wade.

Filed under: Elizabeth Edwards • Extra
  1. P. Y.

Nice lady ! Too bad her husband turned out to be such a RAT.
    Good luck with your future, both medically and personally.

February 3, 2009 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  2. Kathy S. Cloughn

Elizabeth: you are a beautiful, intelligent and wonderful person. I wish you the best!

February 3, 2009 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  3. Dan in ATL

She knowingly misled millions of Americans about her husband's fitness for office. The cover up is definitely worse than the crime.

February 3, 2009 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  4. Bill

Please I support Mrs Edwards but write a book on childern issues or something like that.

February 3, 2009 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  5. Eleanor

Mrs. Edwards, you are truly an amazing woman. YOU have handled a death of a child, your husband's infidelity AND breasts cancer with such grace and integrity.

I deeply and sincerely salute your courage and your deep love and commitment to your family, especially your children.

We need MORE women like you, women who stand up to all the adversities in their lives with dignity and integrity. I know it was NOT easy, but you were determined not to be swayed in your faith and love.

I respect your personal decisions because NONE of us knows what its like to walk in your shoes. I know your book will be informative and well written and I look forward to reading it.

February 3, 2009 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  6. Seattle

Keep up your courageous efforts / you have many wonderfull people behind you that have been with you from day one.
    Good luck with the new bookand happiness to you and your children
    Bless you Elizabeth

February 3, 2009 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  7. Howard

Michael, has anyone ever told you that you're a jerk? If not, you need to find a better circle of acquaintances.

February 3, 2009 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  8. Terry

the heart of the matter wrote, "i'm not big on the stand by your man thing"

"Let no man put asunder what God hath joined." This, of course, applies only to men, not to women. Women can raid the accounts, change the locks, and hire an attack dog lawyer whenever her life diverges slightly from the romance novels she read in high school.

February 3, 2009 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  9. Felonious Monk

Make the money. After all, that is the only important thing isn't it?

February 3, 2009 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  10. Felonious Monk

Make the money.

February 3, 2009 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  11. obama-mama

That is a horrible photo. What the heck happened to her. I don't remember her being that rugged.....

February 3, 2009 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  12. Will in Montgomery

Micheal...

I bet you have a striking face. I wonder how many times it got hit by that truck.

February 3, 2009 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  13. jon c. sprowl

man, couldn't you have picked out a better picture.

February 3, 2009 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  14. Truth

She was willing to play along with a lie for her own gain. What a disgrace to America!

February 3, 2009 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  15. Kate

I feel sorry for her but I won't be buying that book. Nothing anyone can say changes the fact the Edwards cheated on his wife who had cancer which makes him a huge jerk in my opinion! Also, I despise Obama and if Edwards had owned up to what he'd done (or if the media had troubled themselves with exposing him) then Hillary might be President and I wouldn't staring at a stimulus package that will cost a fortune and be all PORK!

February 3, 2009 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  16. Andrea

ooooh, Michael, that was mean. The woman has terminal cancer, maybe you could give her a break?

February 3, 2009 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  17. Ray Fisher, Albuquerque, NM

May our dear lord bless this lady and allow we mortals to let her handle her own family issues. We need not cause her further grief because stress is not what she needs.

February 3, 2009 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  18. NC

You people are really stupid. This lady was a victum of circumstances and trying to be a True wife. I take it none of you are married, or even care which doesn't surprise me and if you are I feel sorry for you wife. Go back to school. OF COURSE EVERYONE DOES HAVE THEIR OWN OPINIONS. HOWEVER, IT DOES MAKE IT THE GOLDEN RULE.

February 3, 2009 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  19. dotjet

@ Michael:

I'm a two time breast cancer survivor and I find your comment positively disgusting!

@ the heart of the matter:

Hopefully you'll never have to walk a mile in her shoes. You might find that you feel quite differently!

February 3, 2009 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  20. A Sister

To Michael – cancer treatment has a way of impacting your looks – not in a good way – try to see the inner beauty – not the surface.

February 3, 2009 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  21. WhoCares?

She keeps her silence UNTIL she can profit off it.

I really have no sympathy for those that porfit while still playing victim.

February 3, 2009 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  22. Eames

I feel bad for Elizabeth – I had cancer before, too, and I've been with my share of jerks. That being said, the only good way she can "deal with" her loser husband is kick him to the curb. Illness or no illness, she looks ridiculous staying with him after all that. I won't read her book.

And, oh, Michael, you hypocrite. I'm sure you look pretty crappy in your old age, as well. If you were going through major medical treatment, it would make you look even worse.

February 3, 2009 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  23. Carl

Sure glad you admire her strength and courage, Big Ed. Are you sure
    that's her picture and not yours?

February 3, 2009 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  24. jpr

Oh, it's been fixed now...

February 3, 2009 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  25. AJ

Oh for gosh sakes. John and Elizabeth Edwards are has-beens. No one cares what either one of them have to say after he disappointed us so badly.

February 3, 2009 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |