February 3rd, 2009

Elizabeth Edwards plans new book

Elizabeth Edwards is writing a new book.
Elizabeth Edwards is writing a new book.

(CNN) - Elizabeth Edwards has largely avoided the spotlight since her husband admitted to an extramarital affair last summer, but the wife of former presidential candidate John Edwards is certain to draw headlines when she releases a personal new book this spring.

In Resilience, scheduled for a May release, Edwards will discuss how she's dealt with difficult moments in her life — like her husband’s affair, said the publisher.

"She would exhibit…remarkable grace and courage again when the very private matter of her husband's infidelity became public fodder," Broadway Books said in a release announcing the upcoming publication of the book.

Edwards has repeatedly declined to discuss her husband's relationship with campaign videographer Rielle Hunter.

“[Edwards is] one of the most beloved political figures in the country, and on the surface, seems to have led a charmed life,” said publishers. “In many ways, she has. Beautiful family. Thriving career. Supportive friendship. Loving marriage. But she's no stranger to adversity. "

Edwards is also expected to discuss her ongoing battle with breast cancer, and the 1996 death of her 16 year-old son Wade.

Filed under: Elizabeth Edwards • Extra
  1. Helen

Michael,

Shame on you. This woman has gone through much and you say "I can see why he was having an affair." Obviously you are a piece of cr___p.

February 3, 2009 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  2. ABG

If Elizabeth Edwards knew about her husband's affair prior to the Iowa caucuses, then both she and John Edwards needed to do the right thing, drop out of the Presidential race.

Another case of ambition before what was best for America.

February 3, 2009 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  3. lori

Look I can't kick someone who has had so many life struggles and lord knows she has had her share. Having said that I have to agree that she was willing to allow us to loose the white house by going along with her husbands lies. I am not sure I can forgive that easily. Sorry Elizabeth, that was a selfish thing to do, I won't be buying your book.

February 3, 2009 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  4. John

Michael,
    You're a jerk! It's called breast cancer. Doesn't exactly contribute to beutiful skin.

February 3, 2009 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  5. George

I hope she uses the money to sue the dirtbag and get a good divorce settlement. That he could cheat on her when she was going through her ordeal makes me sick.

February 3, 2009 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  6. NealR2000

"one of the most beloved political figures in the country". Even before the affair story broke, I think this is one heck of a stretch.

February 3, 2009 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  7. kathy

Kudos to Elizabeth for having the guts to put pen to paper. Her first book was terrific. I've been waiting for a response from her regarding the direction that her life has taken. I hope that despite the family issues (ie affair) that her health is stable.

February 3, 2009 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  8. john

Phil February 3rd, 2009 4:44 pm ET

Isn't it amazing how the media decided to "filter" the whole scandal as it happened last year? And people on these blogs still try to say the media isn't biased. Give me a break.
    _______________________________________________________

Thank you!

Why is she coming out now? How come our media is so much controlled?

How come the media was moved from the white house to chicago before even obama took over?
    should we forget that easily of the last 8years?

February 3, 2009 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  9. JJ

Don't forget this woman said she knew of the Affair before the husband ran for President. I am sympathetic to what she is going through but I think we need to have good memory...

February 3, 2009 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  10. David in West Virginia

Elizabeth Edwards is a courageous woman battling cancer and martial indisgression. You will find in her book a woman who is forgiving and loving – a true Christian trait.

Michael, your comments are not worthy of print. You haven't a clue what Mrs. Edwards has gone through and the pain she's endured.

February 3, 2009 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  11. Bimlady

michael you are so mean saying that you can see why he was having an affair, maybe you are having one youself, (he said for better or for worse until death do us part, so many of us often forget those words.

February 3, 2009 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  12. POSITIVE THINKER IN NC

FIRST OF ALL I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND ANY INTELLIGENT PERSON MAKING SUCH NEGATIVE REMARKS ABOUT ANYONE WHO HAS A LIFE THREATING ILLNESS. YOU ALL SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOUSELF, POINT BLANK. THIS LADY IS AN EXAMPLE OF WHAT A TRUE LADY IS ALL ABOUT AND SHE WAS NOT THE ONE RUNNING FOR ANY POLITICAL OFFICE. I AM CERTAIN THAT MOST PEOPLE HAVE THEIR OPINIONS ABOUT ALL OF YOU JUST AS WELL. GO BACK TO SCHOOL.

February 3, 2009 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  13. Disappointed

I was a great admirer of Mrs. Edwards. That was before reading her book. After I read her book, I admired her even more and was grateful to her for writing it. But then the affair............... Once I realized that she continued to campaign AFTER she knew about the affair I began to question her sincerity about doing what's best for the country. Of course, there is her claim that she wished her family's issues were a private matter, but that just seems so naive. Of course, any revelation would prove to be a huge distraction to a presidential administration and not fair to a country in need of focus on change. Though I am very sorry that her husband felt he could do what he pleased without thinking of his family, her choice seemed selfish to me. It must have been so very hard, though, because if you read her first book, you'll see how much she loved to campaign.

February 3, 2009 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  14. Yada, yada, yada

If John gets any money from this book what difference does it make? Elizabeth should have left him, don't write a book, grow a spine.

February 3, 2009 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  15. Patricia

Anyone who has dealt with the dealth of a child has not led a 'charmed life'. She has had many difficulties to overcome and she has done it with grace and dignity. A magnificent woman..... but charmed life? No.

February 3, 2009 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  16. mw

Add Michael to the jerk list along with Limbaugh, Hannity. Rove, and most repugs.--And of course John.

February 3, 2009 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  17. ali

I admire her for whatever it is that helps her hold her head high, and of course I wish her the best as she plows on. However, I agree w/ The Heart of the Matter that she was ready to enable a dishonest and hypocritical man, immersed in a coverup, to take his party's nomination, potentially ruining the election for the Democrats. She's hardly the first of her kind, plus I'm not sure anyone cares anymore. I only clicked through hoping to read that her health had somehow improved.

February 3, 2009 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  18. jane

This woman had cancer and allowed her husband to run for presidency

oooh wait,

Did she say she knew that he had an affair before even he ran for presidency?

February 3, 2009 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  19. nick

I like her but they could have stopped running for presidency to avoid all what happened once they knew he had an ongoing affair!

February 3, 2009 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  20. tiff of Lithia Springs

Good luck to her. No one has a perfect life.

February 3, 2009 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  21. joni

I am amazed with her strength and courage! Good for her. She has been through so much, with her breast cancer and now this! I hope she is doing well. God Bless her!

February 3, 2009 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  22. Brain

If I remember well, Elizabeth edwards and John Edward said they were aware of the other woman before he ran for presidency. Now she want to write a book after allowing her husband run for the office in the highest land while he was tainted.......

Elizabeth, read your book to your kids!

February 3, 2009 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  23. Blue is my favourite colour

@ Michael:

I think Zaphod2000 let you off easy. I'd like to see you personally go through the agony.

February 3, 2009 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  24. ANONYMOUS

MRS. EDWARDS, WE ALL STILL LOVE AND ADMIRE YOUR GREAT STRENGTH AND POSITIVE OUTLOOK ON LIFE. KEEP STANDING TALL WITH YOUR BELIEFS AS WE ALL SUPPORT YOU. WE ARE SO SORRY THAT YOU ARE FACED WITH THE FOOLISH MISTAKE SO MANY MEN MAKE. THE FACT OF THE MATTER, WHAT SOMEONE DOES TO ANOTHER THEY WILL ANSWER FOR THEIR MANY MISTAKES ONE DAY. WE WISH YOU A SPEEDY RECOVERY. LIFE HAS SO MUCH TO OFFER WHEN THE DOOR IS OPEN.

February 3, 2009 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  25. SHECKY

Her biggest mistake was marrying that girlie-man sissy-poo.

February 3, 2009 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |