February 3rd, 2009

Elizabeth Edwards plans new book

Elizabeth Edwards is writing a new book.
Elizabeth Edwards is writing a new book.

(CNN) - Elizabeth Edwards has largely avoided the spotlight since her husband admitted to an extramarital affair last summer, but the wife of former presidential candidate John Edwards is certain to draw headlines when she releases a personal new book this spring.

In Resilience, scheduled for a May release, Edwards will discuss how she's dealt with difficult moments in her life — like her husband’s affair, said the publisher.

"She would exhibit…remarkable grace and courage again when the very private matter of her husband's infidelity became public fodder," Broadway Books said in a release announcing the upcoming publication of the book.

Edwards has repeatedly declined to discuss her husband's relationship with campaign videographer Rielle Hunter.

“[Edwards is] one of the most beloved political figures in the country, and on the surface, seems to have led a charmed life,” said publishers. “In many ways, she has. Beautiful family. Thriving career. Supportive friendship. Loving marriage. But she's no stranger to adversity. "

Edwards is also expected to discuss her ongoing battle with breast cancer, and the 1996 death of her 16 year-old son Wade.

Filed under: Elizabeth Edwards • Extra
  1. Matt

Pretty amazing that GOPers can find something horrible to utter even about something so mundane and harmelss as this. Seriously...you should be ashamed of yourselves. You point at the Bible as the justification for so much, but how many of you have even cracked one open? Do unto others...

February 3, 2009 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  2. todd

These two are crooks power and money hungry.
    I remember very well when she was asked in today show if she knew of the affair before her husband announce the run for presidency, she said they had.

If John Edward was nominated and then thing blow up in our face as a nominee or President, Didn't America had enough of the Clintons?

Go away Elizabeth please go away and finish your cancer treatment!

February 3, 2009 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  3. carol

I hope all of you who have made negitive comments about Ms. Edwards looks ( ie horrible picture/rugged and can see why he was having affair, HIS not coming clean- she is not the one needing to change her spots – you can not control others actions) have made each of you feel better about yourselves. Having lived through much adversity within my own life – my health and a special needs child,- what this woman has survived in her life ( dealth of a YOUNG child, cancer, and husbands affair) would send most people jumping off the nearest bridge! She certainly deserves better than comments about her appearance and how SHE should have controlled her husbands actions! She has not been given the gift of being able to handle all of this in private. However, she has handled it with GRACE!

February 3, 2009 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  4. bill

michael you are a pittiful excuse for human being.dont know you dont care to.just hope nothing happens to your family like edwards. CRAWL BACK IN YOUR HOLE. PITTIFUL

February 3, 2009 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  5. Must be a slow news day

Oh Liz. Did somebody forget to tell you that you've been reduced to irrelevancy now, and not just by your husband? Bye bye. Don't let the door hit you're a$$ on your way out!

February 3, 2009 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  6. Rob

Carl from MI February 3rd, 2009 4:43 pm ET – "A true patriot?" Time for you to check your meds. What exactly did she do to qualify a 'true patriot'? Still hold on to a skirt chasing lech of a husband? A true patriot, no. Secretary of State, maybe.

February 3, 2009 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  7. Sam

Right on, Michael! Many people have or had cancer; and many had
    children who were killed or died for whatever reason and just as many
    women have cheated too. Having tons of money and looking for
    sympathy from pathetic women like her is surely right up her alley.
    I wonder if he was drunk when he proposed.

February 3, 2009 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  8. Willy Brown

I hope you put lots of juicy bed room stuff in it. That the only way it will sell to people who watch daytime TV all day.

February 3, 2009 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  9. luke

Really, Elizabeth? Bill Clinton was impeached by the U.S. House of Representatives for lying about his extramarital affair, and - only nine years later - you and your husband deserve to be able to lie about his own affair, while he runs for President of the United States? The real problem is that the National Enquirer found out about it? The real problem is news helicopters overhead and reporters in the driveway of your $26 million house?

How Clintonian.

America what could we have gone through if these two happened to get into the white house?

February 3, 2009 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  10. Sam

Zaphod200...pls send me your pic so I can imprint it on toilet paper.

February 3, 2009 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  11. Charlie

All I can say is I have always respected Elizabeth Edwards, she has been the definition of "Grace Under Pressure" at all times. I really hope she does well with her book. She still has plenty to do and I hope she gets to enjoy many good years. Elizabeth is someone I'd be proud to know, she embodies true American Spirit!

February 3, 2009 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  12. Carol

Forget about it Elizabeth – don't give us your sob story now. You went along with it. You knew this was going on during the primaries. What if he had won the nomination, then the truth came out? But who cares, right? It's all about me – poor Elizabeth.

Now you've got the gall to try to make money off of this. Don't try to play the poor, sad, jilted wife. I have no sympathy for you.

February 3, 2009 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  13. Ken

Bill Clinton remains a long way from redemption. We can pretend to have forgotten what he did. But we haven't forgotten. And we hadn't forgotten, when John Edwards announced in December 2006.

John and Elizabeth Edwards's determination to play roulette with that history and those memories - and, thus, with the futures both of the Democratic Party and of the country - betrays an arrogance that is quite shocking, when you think about it.

In the statement he released on Friday, John Edwards said (emphasis mine):

I was and am ashamed of my conduct and choices, and I had hoped that it would never become public. With my family, I took responsibility for my actions in 2006 and today I take full responsibility publicly.

SOUNDS FAMILIAR?

February 3, 2009 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  14. Mike S.

I admire her strength, courage and perseverance. However, I'm a little bothered by the fact that she campaigned for her husband's presidential bid, knowing how important this election was, and also knowing that his affair would put McCain and Palin in the White House if Edwards had won the nomination.

February 3, 2009 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  15. Blue Sky

Michael:

Hope you get yours one day buddy. You're a creep and if you're not 15 years old, you're pathetic to boot.

February 3, 2009 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  16. Glen

Elizabeth Edwards said, in her own statement (emphasis mine):

This was our private matter, and I frankly wanted it to be private because as painful as it was I did not want to have to play it out on a public stage as well. Because of a recent string of hurtful and absurd lies in a tabloid publication, because of a picture falsely suggesting that John was spending time with a child it wrongly alleged he had fathered outside our marriage, our private matter could no longer be wholly private.... John has spoken in a long on-camera interview I hope you watch. Admitting one's mistakes is a hard thing for anyone to do, and I am proud of the courage John showed by his honesty in the face of shame. The toll on our family of news helicopters over our house and reporters in our driveway is yet unknown. But now the truth is out, and the repair work that began in 2006 will continue. I ask that the public, who expressed concern about the harm John's conduct has done to us, think also about the real harm that the present voyeurism does and give me and my family the privacy we need at this time.

I still give you privacy Elizabeth, please go away there other things we are taking care of.....
    You are millionaires and we need not read your family lies!

February 3, 2009 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  17. Axel

“[Edwards is] one of the most beloved political figures in the country..."

No, she's not. In fact, she isn't a political figure at all. Her husband is, but she's not. Being married to a political figure does not make you one.

February 3, 2009 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  18. Kenny

Who would in their right mind forget what happened with these morons......They didn't even care about those people who had dedicated in their campaign. It was about them getting to the white house just as it is now about them writing a book...

Enough is Enough!

February 3, 2009 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  19. kathy

Michael you are a total despicable loser. This poor woman
    has had many heartaches in her life. It's not her fault her
    husband is just another jerk-off politician. Aren't they all.

February 3, 2009 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  20. julie in atlanta

This is wonderful news. Not a day goes by that I don't think of Elizabeth and silently send her strength.

I adore Elizabeth Edwards and will proudly purchase any book she writes. To me, she is a national treasure and a very wonderful role model.

She's also my personal friend. God loves Elizabeth Edwards – and so do I. To those who would sit in judgement and throw stones, you don't know what you would or would not do until you walk in another's shoes. Neither she nor John broke any laws...LET IT BE.

Prayers for Elizabeth...Always and in all ways.
    Julie in Atlanta

February 3, 2009 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  21. Cathy

take a chill pill.

February 3, 2009 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  22. Chris

Its a shame she would have made a great first lady. John Edwards being the guy he is was morally flawed but he had some really great ideas for America. Its a shame more of his policies didn't get picked up by Obama. Besides the affair he would have made a great president...

February 3, 2009 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  23. No Hillary = No Obama

Do these people really need more money and have they no shame? This seems like a good woman married to a chump.

February 3, 2009 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  24. carol

I would also like to add that I hate for tragedy and/or illness to strike anyone. However, all of us need to remember that life can change in a New York minute. Always remember, judge not – the next tragedy could be yours!

February 3, 2009 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  25. Doug

"Pretty amazing that GOPers can find something horrible to utter even about something so mundane and harmelss as this. Seriously…you should be ashamed of yourselves. You point at the Bible as the justification for so much, but how many of you have even cracked one open? Do unto others…"

Yet another lib lie. You won't find one "GOPer" who has said something horrible about her, in fact I wished her the best as every other conservative has, and will do time and time again. EVEN IF CNN CENSORS THEM

However, if she were a republican, a majority of liberal Democrats would wish that she would lose her battle with this dreadful, horrible disease. That's a fact, just to counter your lie. I bet you posted that lie thinking about what you would have typed if it were Elizabeth Dole going through this.

February 3, 2009 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |