February 3rd, 2009

Elizabeth Edwards plans new book

Elizabeth Edwards is writing a new book.
Elizabeth Edwards is writing a new book.

(CNN) - Elizabeth Edwards has largely avoided the spotlight since her husband admitted to an extramarital affair last summer, but the wife of former presidential candidate John Edwards is certain to draw headlines when she releases a personal new book this spring.

In Resilience, scheduled for a May release, Edwards will discuss how she's dealt with difficult moments in her life — like her husband’s affair, said the publisher.

"She would exhibit…remarkable grace and courage again when the very private matter of her husband's infidelity became public fodder," Broadway Books said in a release announcing the upcoming publication of the book.

Edwards has repeatedly declined to discuss her husband's relationship with campaign videographer Rielle Hunter.

“[Edwards is] one of the most beloved political figures in the country, and on the surface, seems to have led a charmed life,” said publishers. “In many ways, she has. Beautiful family. Thriving career. Supportive friendship. Loving marriage. But she's no stranger to adversity. "

Edwards is also expected to discuss her ongoing battle with breast cancer, and the 1996 death of her 16 year-old son Wade.

Filed under: Elizabeth Edwards • Extra
  1. shoegazer

Hey Michael,nice comment.My usual response for thick skulled observations like yours is..."so tell me Adonis,how's it feel to be perfect?"

February 3, 2009 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  2. Anne

OMG!!!! John Edwards sexual behavior is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS, people. Grow up. Stop acting like you are in Junior High School. The only people who should be concerned with his fidelity (or lack thereof) are John and Elizabeth Edwards...not you, not me, not the Democratic or Republican parties. Worrying about this kind of personal business distracts you from things that have a real impact on your life. Quit living in tabloid world, whether or not he is faithful, the number of children Brad and Angelina adopt, who Madonna marries next....none of it affects your life at all. Focus on what is real and important.

February 3, 2009 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  3. Mel Springfield, Oregon

It's too bad she wasn't running instead of that idiot husband of hers.
    BTW, yes, I am a Republican and a cancer survivor.

February 3, 2009 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  4. ck

WHY? Revenge?

February 3, 2009 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  5. Rob

Just once I'd like to see the wife of a cheating husband/politician say, I'm outta here, I'm not an enabler of a man who has zero respect for me or the voters.

I will never vote for Hillary Clinton because she went on television and said, "I'm not standing by my man like Tammy Wynette," and then she did exactly that. Through the entire sordid mess. Talk about her first lie to the American public.

Elizabeth Edwards has young children and a life-threatening disease. It's possible she can't cope with a divorce. But she could have said no to the candidacy. She could have said no to the lies.

I believe Mr. Obama saved us from another scandal in the white house since people could have gone with a white man and not being ready for a woman if Obama wasn't there. Remember Edward was second favoured in Iowa...with 30% from Obama 38% and hillary 28%.

with the way this country is messed up, how could all this brought America down with the standing in the world too.....It is like beating someone still on the ground...

Thank you mr. Obama for being there as an alternative... See ya Elizabeth!

February 3, 2009 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  6. Baze

John Edwards, what a joke. To his credit though, his wife is pretty dreck looking.

February 3, 2009 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  7. Megan

My memory is sharp, Obama saved us from a upcoming Edwards extra marrital affair in the white house...

Anybody remember if he had been nominated?

February 3, 2009 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  8. SoccerMom

I have so much admiration for her, I myself am battling the same type of cancer as she. I was diagnosed with breast Cancer that had already spread to my bones. It is not curable but is treatable. I don't think that she is doing Chemo but is doing a hormonal therapy treatment, people who go through Chemo sometimes lose a lot of weight and look sickly, she does not look sickly,I think she looks great, especially with all the stress of going through a very public scandal.

Elizabeth I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.....

SoccerMom

February 3, 2009 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  9. Tim

One word,

Disappear!

February 3, 2009 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  10. Juddy

Did it ever occur to you that wives of high-power poiliticians are themselves high power women with ambitions to match. In these relationships, I expect that sexualiity is way down on the list of priorities for both partners and the accommodations they come to in order to maintain their respective power positions may be quite different from the average couple. The last thing an ambitious wife in a power couple is going to do is say I'm outta here!

February 3, 2009 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  11. Bill

I am absolutely convinced that women are a thousand times stronger, resolute and certainly more graceful than men will ever be.

February 3, 2009 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  12. voter

a lot of us have led harder lives–I want a book deal!

February 3, 2009 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  13. Dan

What a survivor. Sticks with a rich, lying, cheating plaintiff's lawyer husband so she can ride with him to the top, and when that plan fails, she cashes in with a book deal. She's dealing with cancer? Big deal. so do millions, most of them without the medical treatment that one gets as a Senator's wife.

It's insane how some will worship privileged white women like her and Hillary as if they are saints simply because their husbands are powerful democratic politicians who cheated on them.

February 3, 2009 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  14. Dianne

Elizabeth Edwards is a beautiful and intelligent woman, inside and out. Anybody who criticizes her needs to examine their own narrow-minded, ill-conceived motives. I'm sure some of the drugs she is on for her cancer pain have side effects that we can't imagine, not to mention what stress and fear can do to a person. I just wish that for once people who have nothing better to offer than negative criticism would keep their opinions to themselves. Disagree and debate about real issues, but when it comes to doing harm to another person – the world would be a better place if you would find something else to do with your time.

February 3, 2009 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  15. Respect for You

Elizabeth Edwards is one of the most courageous women I have seen! I will gladly buy her book. I wish her and her family well.

February 3, 2009 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  16. tivver

I still cannot believe the mean and hateful things said about this courageous woman, by people who don't know half of what she has gone through. Read her first book and see what she used to look like; she was a knockout. Are women not allowed to age as the move into their 50's or what? Plus, all that chemotherapy does to your body.

I am a cancer *struggler* at present (was only allowed to use the word survivor during my short 3-month remisson – - am taking treatments again) and I think most of the spiteful things are being said by people who don't know what it's like to have battles or struggles or anything else. Please, don't judge anyone till you have walked a mile in their shoes.

February 3, 2009 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  17. Ken & Holly, New Hartford, NY

Elizabeth,

We wish you all the best. You are an inspiration. We still believe in you AND John.

February 3, 2009 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  18. emily

It's over. It's done. The guy couldn/t get elected dogcatcher now. Can we please just move on and talk about the economy?

February 3, 2009 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  19. An American

He was having an affair because he is a self centered jerk.

He probably is the one wanting her to do the book – figures "he" could use the money – why else would she want to put their "dirty laundry" in a book. I wish her well – although I do not understand women who stand by their man when it comes to cheating. I know she is not well, and that is probably the reason besides her children that she did not leave him. I wish her a long life and hope her children bring her much joy.

February 3, 2009 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  20. dtd

"So don't feel too sorry for Elizabeth Edwards. She knew what she was doing. So did John."

I don't and never did! When I watched the footage of John Edwards repeatedly denying the affair and waxing on and on about how it would be impossible for him to cheat on such an "intelligent, sexy and loving" wife as Elizabeth, it revealed just how nakedly ambitious and self-serving they BOTH are!

Clearly he didn't think she was so "intelligent, sexy and loving" to not cheat on her, and she knew it. He could have simply responded, "I'm not going to respond to any intrusions in my marriage." If that didn't satisfy the publick, than so be it. But it wouldn't have been a lie about the affair or their marriage.

February 3, 2009 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  21. Kathy

Come on, Doug. Meanness and bitterness certainly do cross party lines. Remember what a juicy target Sarah Palin is/'was for the Dems? But that doesn't make it right. You should be ashamed of yourself for wallowing in the usual GOP sandbox of "Well if it were a REPUBLICAN....yada yada yada." Grow up. And CNN did print your comment (obviously) so take your conspiracy theories elsewhere. They're stale.

February 3, 2009 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  22. muffy

First of all, we have a wonderful Pres. Obama and Edwards was flailing anyway, he would not have won. Even his own state did not vote for him.

Elizabeth was and still is, I guess you are all blessed that you or any loved one has never had cancer. It does wicked things to your body as well as your spirit, as someone wrote she no doubt is such a moral, good woman that she does not want to have her young children away from their father. Anyone who can say anything bad about this lovely woman better take a good look in the mirror and their soul (if they have one!) I think she is the greatest and pray to God she is around for many years.

February 3, 2009 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  23. Big Ed

Doug,

Relax. Not everyone wishes bad things based on political party. Have I wished a good case of hemmoroids on a polical figure? Sure. I would never wish cancer, infidelity, death or anything like that on anyone with whom I do not agree.

February 3, 2009 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  24. Powerofreason

Clinton didn't just lie about his affair, he lied under oath.

Gore "lost" the election in part because he kept Bill Clinton away from the campaign.

I also believe that if he was able to run for a third term, Bill Clinton would have been elected by a landslide.

Yes, John Edwards was stupid for engaging in the affair and now he's pretty much out of politics forever. He paid the price for his arrogance.

Are we done with this story now?

February 3, 2009 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  25. People amaze me

Hey doug,

Why are you blaming everything that gets posted negatively on these boards GOPers. Shame on you for not know that people are idiots and it doesn't matter who articles are about they will say anything to get attention. Would it make you rethink your narrow minded view if some of the people who posted were registered democrats. Way to be part of the problem.

February 3, 2009 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |