February 3rd, 2009

Elizabeth Edwards plans new book

Elizabeth Edwards is writing a new book.
Elizabeth Edwards is writing a new book.

(CNN) - Elizabeth Edwards has largely avoided the spotlight since her husband admitted to an extramarital affair last summer, but the wife of former presidential candidate John Edwards is certain to draw headlines when she releases a personal new book this spring.

In Resilience, scheduled for a May release, Edwards will discuss how she's dealt with difficult moments in her life — like her husband’s affair, said the publisher.

"She would exhibit…remarkable grace and courage again when the very private matter of her husband's infidelity became public fodder," Broadway Books said in a release announcing the upcoming publication of the book.

Edwards has repeatedly declined to discuss her husband's relationship with campaign videographer Rielle Hunter.

“[Edwards is] one of the most beloved political figures in the country, and on the surface, seems to have led a charmed life,” said publishers. “In many ways, she has. Beautiful family. Thriving career. Supportive friendship. Loving marriage. But she's no stranger to adversity. "

Edwards is also expected to discuss her ongoing battle with breast cancer, and the 1996 death of her 16 year-old son Wade.

Filed under: Elizabeth Edwards • Extra
  1. CA Indie for Obama

michael, doug and the heart of the matter,
    DON'T PROJECT YOUR REPUB NEGATIVITY ON DEMS OR INDIES...
    If anything has been proven over the last 8 years, it's the lack of sensitivity of repubs. Elizabeth Edwards has lost a son, is battling a permanent form of breast cancer and is now dealing with a cheating husband. What would your top priority be in the same situation: staying alive, keeping your marriage intact, or your husband's political party? doug, you especially, how can you say with a straight face that libs want people to die? that is the exact policy of the prior admin, led by a man who never attended a fallen soldiers' funeral. Not one.
    so, doug, do you enjoy beating up the homeless?

February 3, 2009 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  2. mpeter

Yes, they did. They did not care about anyone else of the Party or country. They deserve each other and whatever comes at them.

February 3, 2009 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  3. Barbara

LORD HELP US ALL. WHY DON'T SOME OF YOU READ WHAT YOU HAVE WRITTEN BEFORE YOU SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS. THIS FAMILY HAS BEEN THROUGH ENOUGH.THE WOMAN THAT HAD THE AFFAIR WITH SENATOR EDWARDS WAS ALSO AT FAULT. SHE KNEW THAT HE WAS MARRIED. IT IS UP TO THE WOMAN TO HAVE SOME SELF-CONTROLL. SHE IS THE LOSER. WHERE IS THE SISTERHOOD? THE OTHER WOMAN ALWAYS THINK THAT THEY ARE BETTER THAN THE WIFE. THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT THE FAMILY.IT'S ALL ABOUT SEX.

February 3, 2009 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  4. teller

Let me remind you all of one thing, just one. If Elizabeth and John Edwards had not gone ahead with his candidacy, then I would be ready to read her book. she was there by him when he was going on with his campaign with all cloud over his head....Remember the interview he did when he was asked what he reglect most by solad obrien?

People have a short memory indeed!

February 3, 2009 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  5. Chris in Va.

So?

February 3, 2009 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  6. Ron Moore

Elizabeth Edwards is an inspiration to us all. She's a great lady!

February 3, 2009 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  7. Jeff Reynolds

I hope she explains why, when she knew about it all along, she remained silent about her husband's living a lie, while we almost made him the next President. It's not her fault her husband is a low life. It is her fault that she was complicit in perpetuating this fraud on an unsuspecting American public. Get ready to answer for that Elizabeth.

February 3, 2009 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  8. Jackie in Dallas

Elizabeth Edwards is a role model for women today. She has handled the public scrutiny of her marriage, endured the media feeding frenzy as they tore apart her husband's career, and dealt with personal adversity with grace. She has faced two horrible issues in her own fight with cancer and the unmitigated disaster of losing her son.

I've yet to hear her voice criticism of her husband in public, or of the media which forced her into a humiliating situation of trying to deal with one of the most common occurances in a marriage — infidelity.

I'm not nominating her for sainthood, but she sure has dealt with more than the common problems without losing her cool. I'm looking forward to reading her book, which I cannot imagine a better title for than Resilience.

February 3, 2009 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  9. M Paul

Very smart lady and she didn't deserve this. John Edwards should have kept his zipper up but he prefered to bring it down for less.

February 3, 2009 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  10. Matt

@ No Hillary = No Obama

Your math is still wrong.

February 3, 2009 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  11. king

Say It Ain't So, Elizabeth - You Knew But Supported His Run For President?

February 3, 2009 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  12. KD

I personally hope that her book will show other women going through the same kind of cancer, any kind of cancer, that they can overcome alot of bad things in thier life and go on. A cancer survivor, and a person going through cancer treatment are the strongest people I have ever met, and, love life,family, God and the whole ball of wax just pours out of them.

We should all look at life the way they do, and maybe, just maybe, love and family values will begin to become the norm again.

and as for anyone who can just look at her an comment on her looks alone is a shollow person. She would probably take pity on you.

February 3, 2009 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  13. Radiohead!

"You do it yourself, that's what really hurts..." – Radiohead, Just

February 3, 2009 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  14. Victoria

What I will like someone to explain to me is the whole campaign staffer -father of the child deal..Was in this guy's job description that he had to take the bullet for Edwards, and he will be paid well for it? I mean, the same guy that has been paying her off, moved him, his WIFE, three kids, Edwards lover- and her kid, into the same house!! Now, if that does not scream "we are just doing this to help out but boy is it weird" I do not know what is. And the horse manure keeps on being fling left and right. I do not believe for a second that John just" told ' Elizabeth after and attack of decency.. She obviously was tipped by someone, most likely the new age lover. I do not believe for a second that the affair ended when he says it did.. And it makes me laugh util I cry to think that SOMEONE could believe that this people were paid off and he did not had a clue.
    he Edwards knew perfectly well that they were being paid to keep their mouths shut.. while they pretended to be the perfect family..

February 3, 2009 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  15. brian

Women should also hold themselves accountable for harming women w/ these extramarital affairs.

When you sleep around with someone you know has a commitment elsewhere, you are no one to play the innocent card.

Now she want to write a book and make themselves more richer....

February 3, 2009 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  16. foxytrotter

I cannot imagine a day in the life of Elizabeth Edwards. I hope in time of adversity I will be as gracious as she has been. Nobody is perfect. We all make mistakes. I believe those casting stones, do so due to their inhumanity more than any other reason. Each of us will have a turn at dealing with something awful. I implore you to think of Elizabeth when your turn comes, see how you measure up.

February 3, 2009 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  17. Diana

My prayers go out to this remarkable woman. She's one of the few women I admire in this time. She would have made a great first lady.

February 3, 2009 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  18. myers

Clinton, Spitzer, Edwards. I don't have to lose a child or get cancer to be able to voice my opinion. I have also lost respect for Elizabeth because what her husband does privately entered the public sphere the moment he decided to run for the presidency. He played fast and loose with the Democratic party, hoping his indiscretion wouldn't be found out. You can't ignore the fact that we are especially sensitive to philandering presidents given the years we were made to suffer through the serial shenanigans of Bill Clinton. That this woman was set up in business using donated funds, and was set up comfortably by an Edwards friend is more than just a casual indiscretion. I'm sick of having the reprehensible private lives of prominent Democrats being thrown in our faces. Is it too much to ask them to think of the party first and NOT to run if they have to keep looking over their shoulders or sneaking around hoping they won't get caught at something or other? Please!

February 3, 2009 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  19. Atlanta

Some of you need to take a long look in the mirror. What have you done in your judgemental life. The only difference is your dirt is not on television so what gives you the right. I admire Elizabeth for her strength, but I also love the PERSON John is and there is a difference. He made a mistake and it is up to GOD and Elizabeth that he answers too. I still love John Edwards and his family. May God keep them always.

February 3, 2009 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  20. Liz in DC

I am perplexed about Elizabeth Edwards. Sure, I admire her strength and courage with the challenges and personal tragedies she's faced. However, she let her husband run knowing he had a potential scandal had he secured the nomination. The Clintons are just as lusty about political power. It's a darned shame–you can't trust those who crave power.

February 3, 2009 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  21. HouseDiva

now why would i want to buy a book about another woman who decided to stay with her stupid husband?

what's new?

February 3, 2009 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  22. ll

I have mixed feelings on this. I do agree with the writer that I kind of lost a little respect for Elizabeth for encouraging his run for the office of President after knowing about this affair. I am also confused by both of them. They are intelligent educated people, how could they (or at least one of them) not realize that in this 24/7 news cycle that this affair would be kept secret? What if he had won and we were facing the convention in two weeks? This is what I can't wrap my brain around. Are they that stupid or that "ballsy"? Anyway, Senator, please come clean on the rest of it, you know it is going to come out eventually so spare yourself and your family the anguish and come out with the truth. The media these days will hound you forever so rip off the bandaid and be done with it. The rest of me feels very sad. John Edwards spoke of genuine ills in our society and offered a lot of hope on those ills. I feel now mom, your words fall on deaf ears.

February 3, 2009 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  23. Joan

I just pray she has the courage to carry on.Thank goodness he isn't our President. Bless you Mrs. Edwards for good health.

February 3, 2009 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  24. No Incumbents 2010

Just make sure when you get the royalties from your new book, you pay your taxes.

February 3, 2009 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  25. Ula Nejad Sacramento, Ca

I guess its theurapetic to talk about it. American's are busybodys anyway. They make a living out of it. Self truimph is sweet.

February 3, 2009 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |