(CNN) –- Sen. John McCain enlists the help of online supporters through his political action committee, Country First. The former Republican presidential nominee tapped into his campaign lists Tuesday, asking supporters to sign a petition in protest of the economic stimulus package.
“I cannot and do not support the package on the table from the Democrats and the Obama Administration. Our country does not need just another spending bill, particularly not one that will load future generations with the burden of massive debt. We need a short term stimulus bill that will directly help people, create jobs, and provide a jolt to our economy,” McCain says in the e-mail. “I hope you will join me in saying no to this stimulus package as it currently exists by signing this petition.”
The Arizona senator’s request follows a similar message sent by President Obama to his online followers Monday. The president called on supporters to host gatherings or house parties to help push for the stimulus package.
McCain and nine other Senate Republicans met in Sen. Mel Martinez’s office Tuesday to discuss an alternative to the Democratic plan. The former Republican presidential candidate said the group is trying to improve the stimulus package to enable job growth.
I had a vision. I predict in 2012, only what most people see as the true South will be red states. Don't know who will be running in 2012, but that is how I see it. America does not need a party that does not know how to play ball or share its toys.
Mr. McCain... you lost in a land slide... If you cant get over that resign and get out of the way. If we cared for your opinion on this bill we would have elected you president in the first place, but the simple fact is you lost, now get on board or get out of the way... If you are a patriot like you so boldly claimed through out your campaign you should be able to abide by the most simple and fundamental parts of American society and that is that the majority rules and you lost be an american and do your job...
Wait a minute....didn't he lose?
I'm not surprised. He probably STILL thinks that the fundamentals of our economy are strong . . .
I don't get this now, we talk about this bill to be past but the 700 billion for banks was not an issue.
? load future generations with the burden of massive debt
Where was this thought process when he wanted an open end war, or does debt matter for that.
Cute how the Libs call anyone and everyone against THEIR plan out, but then want to talk about reaching across the aisle. Of course the Reps are against this piece of crap legislation! It's about time someone stood up for ME – cause Obama sure ain't going to. Can't wait to see the next "ethical genius" that he picks to put into a high office.
- Looks like McCain is the new Dr. No -
john ma cain seems to be a sore losers and is coming off as one as he watches the country jobs losses by the tens of thousands and now he want the public to help him sink our jobs further in the toliet to make a point . I guess He wants the public to vote on the package. He can't have the situation at hand if he doesn't have a complete package that will work his party had 8 years to work it and now he is still one of the leaders to keep this administration from movin forward. SORE LOSER
John McCain may not have a Harvard degree like President Obama, but he can tell the difference between Pork Spending and Stimulus to create jobs and save homes. The following list of items in the Dems bill certainly will not stimulate much in these areas. This is CHANGE at work:
• $2 billion earmark to re-start FutureGen, a near-zero emissions coal power plant in Illinois that the Department of Energy defunded last year because it said the project was inefficient.
• A $246 million tax break for Hollywood movie producers to buy motion picture film.
• $650 million for the digital television converter box coupon program.
• $88 million for the Coast Guard to design a new polar icebreaker (arctic ship).
• $448 million for constructing the Department of Homeland Security headquarters.
• $248 million for furniture at the new Homeland Security headquarters.
• $600 million to buy hybrid vehicles for federal employees.
• $400 million for the Centers for Disease Control to screen and prevent STD's.
• $1.4 billion for rural waste disposal programs.
• $125 million for the Washington sewer system.
• $150 million for Smithsonian museum facilities.
• $1 billion for the 2010 Census, which has a projected cost overrun of $3 billion.
• $75 million for "smoking cessation activities."
• $200 million for public computer centers at community colleges.
• $75 million for salaries of employees at the FBI.
• $25 million for tribal alcohol and substance abuse reduction.
• $500 million for flood reduction projects on the Mississippi River.
• $10 million to inspect canals in urban areas.
• $6 billion to turn federal buildings into "green" buildings.
• $500 million for state and local fire stations.
• $650 million for wild land fire management on forest service lands.
• $1.2 billion for "youth activities," including youth summer job programs.
• $88 million for renovating the headquarters of the Public Health Service.
• $412 million for CDC buildings and property.
• $500 million for building and repairing National Institutes of Health facilities in Bethesda, Maryland.
• $160 million for "paid volunteers" at the Corporation for National and Community Service.
• $5.5 million for "energy efficiency initiatives" at the Department of Veterans Affairs National Cemetery Administration.
• $850 million for Amtrak.
• $100 million for reducing the hazard of lead-based paint.
• $75 million to construct a "security training" facility for State Department Security officers when they can be trained at existing facilities of other agencies.
• $110 million to the Farm Service Agency to upgrade computer systems.
• $200 million in funding for the lease of alternative energy vehicles for use on military installations.
It's amazing how people can slam McCain, calling him a pathetic old loser, yet their comments still get through. One bad word about the head ringmaster in the ongoing circus, and your comments get blocked.
I believe the Republicans have pointed out where the waste is in the bill. What else do you want for a soulution. Now that the Democarats control everything, there's no way to stop the pork.
So now he is an expert in economics??? The one who said the economy is just fine a few days before it crashed. ROFL.
This is just another political ploy by the Republican party to keep the real change people voted for in November from happening. They will not participate in any mature discussion to change the bill. They just want to cry that they were not "involved" . This coming from the party that ran roughshod over democracy for the past eight years that got us in this mess. Why the hell should we listen to them.
let me say this, THE STIMiLUS PACKAGE IS WHAT WE NEED! iT DOESN'T NEED TO BE OPPOSED. DON'T LISTEN TO THE REPUBLICANS!! They are back to their old tactics of being in control and wanting to tax the middle class and below. They only want tax cuts for the rich and above. The pork in the current stimulus will be eliminated because it was only a dream list, but until we got in this economic mess that your last president got you into. That was done the past 8 years. Our last real president was back in the Clinton era
Don't oppose the stimulus bill. bring ideas and action to make the stimulus bill better. The people of America need a stimulus package and instead of working on it to make it better, the only thing you offer is opposition.
First I still want to know when you will tell the rest of us where Bin Laden is and how you were going to get him. In your campaign you stated you knew.
I wish a democrat would explain to me how this bill in its current form will help our economy. Sure, it might make a few jobs in the short turn...but in the long run it will increase our debt to over 12 trillion dollars, and lose even more jobs.
Last time I checked, McCain lost by a landslide. He can say whatever he wants about the stimulus package, doesn't matter. What does matter is that Democrats need to stop pandering to the Republicans. Why do we need them to support this or any other bill? Bush and the 6 years of Republican congress never asked for democrat support on anything, so, to heck with them.
Yeah, sign it and it immediately takes you to a site to make a contribution to Sarah Palin's new Political Action Campaign. What an eff'n joke!
That sound you hear is the cutting of jobs. Senator McCain, do not send emails out to people opposing the stimulus package for God’s sake. How about postponing your campaign to kill the stimulus and working on making this bill work for all Americans? Let’s work on making it right, not attacking it for what is wrong. The crying you hear is weeping for the death of the American Dream, btw.
To all of you whom think its a spending bill...
Put forth better ideas...The problem hear is you don't have any.
As usual you are a country of divide and fail. HOW SAD.
Oh sure taxes you say, well the GOP has been in power for over 26 years, and have dug us a big mess to clean up. But the only the thing they are good for is to COMPLAIN...And John McCain really needs to go hide behind a rock and never return.
You guys are sabbotaging any hope of a recover...FOR PURE GREED AND SELF PROPHECY.
I HOPE YOU ALL LOSE YOUR HOMES...
OH NO, WAIT, its not possible, because you got part of the bailout money under the table. CROOKS...
The GOP's answer to everything is "tax cuts." Their playbook is one page long and says the following:
Rule No. 1: When a fellow Republican is in office, you will borrow and spend to your heart's content, start wars and assure in every way possible that the rich are pleased so you can count on their campaign donations and sweetheart deals.
Rule No. 2: When a Democrat is in office, you will scream "tax cuts": at the top of your lungs until you have an embellism and oppose anything and everything the Democrats wish to accomplish while in control, citing your deep concerns about the budget.
Atta Boy, John!
This bill is full of Pelosi Pork... Reed Pork... and especially Obey Pork. Not to mention Pork Chops, Pork Roast, Kung Po Pork, and Porky Pig.
Anything that doesn't create jobs... OUT!!!!!
I am an Obama voter. That being said, Obama needs to have a long talk with Pelosi and Reed. They are going to be his downfall not McCain. This bill does have some items in it that need to be removed. We should stop the name calling and get on with the business of putting this country back on track. Remove the waste from the bill and get it done. I do think that all of us need to take a deep breath and relax. If you didn't vote for Obama that's fine, if you did vote for him that's fine too, but we all need to stop the name calling and realize that does nothing but cause a much longer time to get people back to work.