February 3rd, 2009

McCain asks supporters to oppose stimulus bill

(CNN) –- Sen. John McCain enlists the help of online supporters through his political action committee, Country First. The former Republican presidential nominee tapped into his campaign lists Tuesday, asking supporters to sign a petition in protest of the economic stimulus package.

“I cannot and do not support the package on the table from the Democrats and the Obama Administration. Our country does not need just another spending bill, particularly not one that will load future generations with the burden of massive debt. We need a short term stimulus bill that will directly help people, create jobs, and provide a jolt to our economy,” McCain says in the e-mail. “I hope you will join me in saying no to this stimulus package as it currently exists by signing this petition.”

The Arizona senator’s request follows a similar message sent by President Obama to his online followers Monday. The president called on supporters to host gatherings or house parties to help push for the stimulus package.

McCain and nine other Senate Republicans met in Sen. Mel Martinez’s office Tuesday to discuss an alternative to the Democratic plan. The former Republican presidential candidate said the group is trying to improve the stimulus package to enable job growth.

Filed under: economic stimulus • John McCain • Popular Posts
  1. Shocker....

Gee....he seems to have glossed over the 6 years worth of wasteful spending bills and tax cuts for the wealthy from him and his cronies that got us here in the first place.

Why am I not "shocked and awed"?

February 3, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  2. Dee

Oh, now you have a problem McShame. What happen to the problem when the "crook" Bush was in office...it was ok then!!! Go sit down with your disgruntle self.

February 3, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  3. Brenda

I guess he wants to send Sarah shopping for economic recovery. OR we could go with low interest loans to the same people that got tax breaks. WOW, John how did you lose the election.

February 3, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  4. kevin

Be responsible, sign this petition. Dont forget this vote, if your senator or congressman votes "yes" for the current form vote them out of office in 2010.

February 3, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  5. michael mcintosh

This is not the time to be petty and indifferent. Its time to be bipartician. The repbulicans are boycotting the stimulus because theirs did not work. If they had the answers to our countries problem i think they should of spoke up at least 5yrs ago. Now that they have lost major elections and the presidency they are resisting change. Why should we even care what this party thinks when just six months ago Senator McCain did not even understand the economy nor did his republican counter parts.

February 3, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  6. Eric

I am sure that most short-sighted Kool-Aid drinkers are going to see this as nothing more than GOP obstruction. However, the alternative is to expect the GOP to be a rubber stamp for bad legislation.

Many of you that think that having one party in power in the executive AND legislative branches is 'more' effective government, but I assure you that you're wrong.

Best of luck to the GOP in helping shape some more honest and realistic legislation.

February 3, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  7. SCC

Here we ago again...McCain trying to ride in on his white horse and save the day. You lost, dude.....get over yourself. Let's take a look at all of the Bush tax cut bills you supported and see how much "waste" we find there.....

February 3, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  8. Jane

I thought Mr McCain Didnt understand Economics? I dont recall him playing a big part in the 700 billion TARP that was spearheaded by Paulson et al...... Im sticking with the Obama camp... McCain is more of the same for me.....

February 3, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  9. Adrian Veidt

Oh, the overwhelming burden of social programs.

Meanwhile, I'm sure John McWar wouldn't mind dumping a few billion more dollars into Iraq for those people who don't even want us there.

10. Rob

So who really spends the most money, Republicans or Democrats?
    They all do!

11. little texan, me

The only supporters he has are in sock drawer.I call them jocks too.

12. Jim

What would McCain know about the economy? His chief economic adviser during the campaign said Americans were just being whiney, and we should toughen up. What's a man who has this guy as his chief economic advisor going to do to improve anything with the economy? C'mon...

If you want to improve the package, withdraw your name from the group of people associated with the opposition. That will go a long way. McCain was offered an olive branch by Obama and he shot it down. He doesn't know what the word "cooperation" means. It's his way or the highway. We had that attitude in the White House for 8 yrs and look where it's got us. Step up, John, or step aside. The country needs to look forward, not back at your continuous obstinance. You probably don't even think there's a recession going on...

13. truth

LOL! Whatever! Your party doen't have the majority anymore iwe gave you eight years now it time for CHANGE!

14. Napoleon Complex

John Who? Ironic that his PAC is called County First, since he proved during the election that he put cheap political trickery above all else. You lost, John. Go away and take Palin with you.

15. facts are facts

I have tried to blog a true statement about the tax breaks I get from the conservative government in Canada but CNN keeps blocking it . No freedom of speech or press in America. i guess I can post it on more legitimate news sites.

16. LAL

Well we didn't elect him for a reason!!!!! He said that the economy was fine and OH YES!!! We were winning in Iraq and going to stay there for 100 years~~~~PLEEEEEZ

17. Scy

Ah yes. Let's support the GOP that got us into this nightmare.

And, yeah, McCain has supporters??

18. belva turcic

i agree

19. Denise

It's time for Obama to play hardball. These guys don't care about his ideas and don't want to come into agreement on anything he or the democrats propose. Yet it was the bush administration that got us into this mess. A fine time to try and become ethical. I say to the Democrats, do your best and pass it. The republicans want to cut taxes. What good will cutting taxes do when you don't have a job? President Obama you tried. They want to remain spoiled. Remember, the votes are already there. I say go it alone if necessary. It's the American people you were elected to serve.

20. Rob Kole

Host gatherings and parties Obama? With what money?

21. DJ in TX

I would like to ask Sen McCain and others to please explain how "tax cuts" 9which I don't oppose), "stimulates" the economy. I agree (and I'm a Democrat) that a lot of the items seem to be spending only, but I still fail to see how tax cuts help out much.

Cutting corporate tax rates now, in my opinion, won't do anything but pad corporate profits. I don't see them hiring or stop laying people off with tax cuts. I do agree money shoul dbe spent on the housing issue, but still, if a person loses their job, can't pay their mortgage no matter how low it may be.

Get the banks lending again and yes, as long as ANY company receive a bailout, these big bonuses and corporate waste should stop. But again, someone please just tell me how tax cuts supposedly stimulates the economy (BTW – the GOP's program for the stimulus ADD's to the deficit).

22. Jakedasnake

Hi John,,, are the fundementals of our economy still strong??? Oh that's right, I meant workers,,, yeah, workers.

February 3, 2009 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  23. Bruce

Once again McInsane copies an idea from the opposition turns it into a political opportunity for himself. He has always been and always will be a follower and right-wing puppet.

February 3, 2009 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  24. bijou

this is not a campaign...he is the POTUS and you are just a senator...come up with a clear alternative before you go about "opposing" the plan....SMH...these guys are just so urghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

February 3, 2009 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  25. Do your Job CNN!

Past the stimulus bill. Give the relief to the ones that want it. This will give me more money to spend.

February 3, 2009 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |