February 4th, 2009

Dems show their strength as House passes SCHIP

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The newly empowered Democratic majority flexed its political muscle Wednesday as the House of Representatives voted to expand a key federal health care program to an estimated 4 million additional children.

The 290-135 vote to expand the State Children's Health Insurance Program fell largely along party lines, with almost every Democrat voting in favor of the expansion and most Republicans voting against it.

Full story

Filed under: SCHIP
  1. Robin

Dan in NY,

Your statement makes sense. I agree. Most people don't look at the "why" when something is voted against.

P.S Your comment about Bush doing two things you agreed with made me laugh, and I'm Republican.

See Dems, you can get your point across without being hate-filled.

February 4, 2009 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  2. gl, Pittsburgh

I sorry to say the way the Republicans are behaving they will be the one that end their party for good.

February 4, 2009 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  3. Marc

To worriedmom who said: 'I am all for every child, LEGAL, having health insurance' – I am really worried about children that grow up with someone who has such a narrowed mind...
    And by the way, are you saying that CHILDREN are to be previously divided in groups and those who fall on the 'wrong' ones will be left unprotected because they (CHILDREN) don't deserve to be healthy?

February 4, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  4. Peter

This is beyond bi-partisan

February 4, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  5. AMERICA FIRST!

MISSISSIPPI MIKE AND WORRIEDMOM, GUESS WHAT WHEN THESE CHILDREN ARE BORN IN THIS COUNTRY THEY ARE LEGAL CITIZENS AND HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO ANY GOVERNMENT AID MORONS. YOUR RIGHT, THEIR PARENTS ARE MOST LIKELY ILLEGAL SO I EXPECT YOU TO BE OUT THER PICKING THE CROPS THAT THEY DO AND HOTEL WORK, WASH DISHES IN ALL RESTAURANTS, PICK UP TRASH BASICALLY THE JOBS WE AS AMERICANS EVEN OUR CHILDREN WON'T DO.

February 4, 2009 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  6. J.P.

Folks, I don't think conservatives have any problem with ensuring the poorest of America's children is properly cared for, medically speaking.

It's when you define "children" as "anyone up to and including twenty-somethings" that you start to lose conservatives' support.

This is supposed to be for low income families, but families making upto $80K a year can be eligible. In a nutshell, sCHIP is simply a “back door” path to nationalized healthcare. And if you think healthcare is expensive now, wait until its free.

I've got a novel idea... you don't rely on the government or your employer to buy your car insurance, do you? And what has that done to the auto insurance market? It's brought prices down because insurance companies actually have to COMPETE for your business. So why should your health insurance be any different? The same would occur with health insurance if only businesses and the government would get out of the way and let the free market sort it out.

By the way, folks... "the market" means me and you... prices for EVERY product in the free market are only priced at what you and I will pay for them. When we deem something as too expensive, we stop buying and the manufacturer is forced to lower the prices to what consumers WILL pay... it's a natural equilibrium between consumers and producers, and it doesn't take a government hand to help the balance. In fact, when a third-party payer gets involved in the purchase transaction, it only adds uncertainty and will undoubtedly skew the price.

February 4, 2009 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  7. Diana Ewing NJ

Matthew Truth
    NO ONE ADVOCATES FOR LATE TERM ABORTION. Someone being pro choice is exactly that..

Outlawing abortion will not stop it. It has gone on for years and years.. the difference being now a woman or girl can be taken care of safely. Anyone who goes through those steps dose not do it lightly and lives with the results all of their lives..

February 4, 2009 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  8. Bob in Pa

Is the GOP really against "healthcare for kids".
    No, they are against expanding this beastly program. In Pa., CHIP has some form of coverage for families making up to $236,000.
    This doesn't need to be expanded, it needs to be KILLED !

February 4, 2009 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  9. Greg Pottstown, Pa.

If you can't care for your kids then you shouldn't have them. My wife is 25 I am 26 we both work two jobs and I own two houses. Why should I pay money for others to have kids. If I didn't have to support other peoples kids I could afford to have some of my own. Explain to me why I should pay for the mistakes of others. Lets tell the truth, if you can't afford kids then you made a mistake having them. The combined income of my house is $80.000 so I can't get any help if I have kids. Why can't my future kids have free health care. Do I make to much money or did I not mess up my kids chances of prospering. We are told over and over that the kids need our help. What about my kids do they not deserve to have every benefit. I don't have a problem helping the kids but why do those kids get the help but mine would not. If the answer is $ then this is nothing but punishing people for working hard and being successful.

February 4, 2009 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  10. Marc

Noah : 'It is actually detrimental to just as many children as it is supposed to protect.' – OK, explain to us how it is so bad please.

Henry Miller, Cary, NC – By your logic I suppose you don't pay taxes. You know police, firemen, military and the likes, those people that are out there to protect us if we need tthem? By paying taxes we pay for this security services, and we pay them before and after we ever need them.

February 4, 2009 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  11. Bob in Pa

Want a chuckle, Go to Aetna's web site for CHIP in PA. When you click on the links to view eligibility and income requirements, The first page comes up in Spanish. So who is this bill targeting really

February 4, 2009 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  12. Outspoken

Great! Now I get to pay more of the expenses for irresponsible and incompetant parents. I love this new "era of responsiblity." However, I didn't realize that it meant that I would be "responsible" for the kids of even more dead-beats.

February 4, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  13. AMERICA FIRST!

YOU GO JACKIE, (YOUR MESSAGE TO MISSISSIPPI MIKE) I COULN'T OF SAID IT BETTER. CAN YOU SAY HALIBURTON (CHENEY'S COMPANY) THEY DIDN'T EVEN HAVE TO BID ON THIS RESTRUCTURE JOB FOR REBUILDING IRAQ, NOW THAT WAS MONEY WELL SPENT RIGHT MISSISSIPPI MIKE OR MISSING SOMETHING MIKE

February 4, 2009 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  14. Chanda - Cincinnati

So would any Republicna on this blog who is criticizing the renewal and expansion of SCHIP please tell me how you would cover the healthcare of Children in this country? I work at a pediatric hospital, and the people who receive SCHIP are usually hard working families who have jobs that either don't have health care coverage, or its not adequate. The CHILDREN are covered under SCHIP....not adults. Its beyond me how Republicans can vote to expand buisness and tax cuts for the wealthy, but say "to hell with ya" to a kid who needs medical attention. Families have been finacially ruined due to medical expenses. If that happens, then they more then likely would be on welfare and medicaid. Would that be better?

February 4, 2009 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  15. Baze

What a surprise, another G.O.P. rejection.

February 4, 2009 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  16. Matt

@ Bob in PA

You might want to look a little further on down the ticker page before you blabber like that. There's an article about the GOP showing it has some "muscle" in opposing the stimulus. Grow up whiner.

February 4, 2009 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  17. Ernie in LA

Karen in Phoenix, you are an Idiot.

February 4, 2009 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  18. Mari

THANK GOD! This is the bill that the so-called-Pro-life Bush VETOED!

Sure, the Republicans are against helping poor children, denying them healthcare......... but oh, they "claim" to be holier-than-thou-against abortion!

The Republicans DO NOT GET that we, the People, are watching closely, and we SEE their obvious hypocrisy.

YOU CAN'T DENY POOR CHILDREN HEALTHCARE AND CLAIM TO BE PRO-LIFE!

February 4, 2009 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  19. Angie in Pa

Republicans are gonna go down like a house of Cards PATHETIC! GOP PATHETIC!

February 4, 2009 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  20. Jason

I don't understand Republicans. They don't believe in abortion and they don't believe in giving health care to underprivileged children so why do they want a whole bunch of unwanted children running around? It makes no sense.

February 4, 2009 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  21. Mari

@ "WORRIEDMOM"....... ARE YOU CHRISTIAN??? IF..... YOU ARE YOU CAN NOT DENY ANY ONE HEALTH CARE! IT IS AGAINST EVERYTHING JESUS TAUGHT!

SECOND, "ILLEGALS" PAY TAXES TOO, STOP LISTENING TO AM RADIO LONG ENOUGH TO LEARN A FEW FACTS!

IF YOU ARE A CHRISTIAN .......AND PRO-LIFE, HOW CAN YOU LIVE WITH DENYING ANY CHILD HEALTH CARE? THAT IS HYPOCRITICAL!

February 4, 2009 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  22. hadelaide

Republicans in the congress have no qualms with voting to get pay raises and receiving healthcare and retirement from government. Yet, when it is to support programs that benefit the majority in society, they vote no. Hypocrisy, true and unbridled hypocrisy.

February 4, 2009 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  23. Marla

How many illegal alien children will be among the 11-million more to be added to SCHIP? And how come only smokers are being forced to pay the added "sin tax" for this bill and not alcoholics as well, who after all are a far larger cost to society in health and social impacts?

February 4, 2009 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  24. Michiganian

I think what everyone forgets is that BUSH and his idiotic war is what has bankrupted this country, just as Bin Laden predicted. Had we not spent the Treasury ruining, rebuilding, bombing, rebuilding...we would not be in this mess at all.

February 4, 2009 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  25. Ernie in LA

In Indiana.. You said it well.

February 4, 2009 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |