February 4th, 2009

HAPPENING NOW: Obama signs SCHIP

Watch the event on CNN.com/live
Watch the event on CNN.com/live

(CNN) - President Obama is holding a bill signing ceremony to expand the State Children's Health Insurance Program.

Watch the event on cnn.com/live

Filed under: Happening Now
  1. Jack Janski

More wasteful gov't spending by the Socialist who now occupies the White House. God help us all!!!!!

February 4, 2009 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  2. Meaganini

How many illegal immigrant children will now be added to the SCHIP program and how come only smokers are being forced to pay the added sin tax to fund it and not also alcoholics who after all are a far bigger cost to society in health and social impacts?

February 4, 2009 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  3. Franklin

February 4, 2009 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  4. Patrick

Now, on to stem cell research to help more Americans

February 4, 2009 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  5. Lush Limprick the REAL Chairman of RNC

You repubs are hypocrites.

First you scream every woman should have a baby and then you vote to deny them health care IF they are not born to RICH WHITE folks, like say the half-wit's unwed daughter that is a high-dropout!

Besides, if you do not provide the health care to get them to the age of 18, just who will provide the cannon fodder for your fascist and imperialistic elective wars??

February 4, 2009 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  6. linda from south dakota

great move president obama,, this will make a difference,, thanks,,,, now our children will be taken care of,, keep up the great work,,

February 4, 2009 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  7. Mike

Oh great, so now CNN is inthe propeganda business, example? OH LOOK, LOOK HOW GREAT THIS NEW SCHIP EXPANSION IS....what an incredible shock to find the family who was celebrating were a bunch of smelly neegs. Truely shocking. You guys lick elephant scrotum.

February 4, 2009 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  8. Jeremy

Again–signs with no wait period for Americans to comment.

February 4, 2009 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  9. get it done

a lot needs fixing

get to work

February 4, 2009 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  10. Jane

Hurray!

February 4, 2009 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  11. Charlie in Maine

Thank God and the Democratic Party. Finally. Bush vetoed this great idea twice. This represents the end of an error and the beginning of an era.

February 4, 2009 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  12. Jane

Hurray for President Obama! This action is long overdue in this country. We must provide free health care to everyone within our borders. It is the right/human thing to do.

February 4, 2009 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  13. Dawn

bout time, President Bush veto this Bill and how many children do not have health care, all children needs vacination shots and be checked Asthma in children is on the rise, diabetes, or even cancer. Bush messed with things he thought made no sense. Medicare-medicade, where he took for the cost of the two wars.

February 4, 2009 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  14. Gracie

Thank YOU President Obama. President Bush, John McCain and other Republicans leaders remain clueless on how to move this country forward.

NO plan is perfect, but the fact that you are at LEAST willing to do something for the betterment of children is always commendable.

Now please stop focusing on those Republicans who continue to live in the past and not looking towards the future. Drop those bums!

February 4, 2009 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  15. Irene

CONGRATULATIONS to President Obama and his Administration!

"We the People" thank you.....our children thank you. It is so wonderful to have an Administration that really cares and does the right thing!!!

February 4, 2009 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  16. Sue

Will the Health Program designates be in Las Vegas for a blowout while this government approves $$$ for DOMR needy children?
    OR will the money go for the CHILDREN???

February 4, 2009 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  17. Lesley L.

Thank God.

February 4, 2009 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  18. Ana

My question is if we get enough revenue from the Tobacco tax, since the number of smokers are decreasing not increasing........then will the program be dropped, reduced or will be be taking money from somewhere else and if so from where?

None of these questions were addressed and I think we need to plan ahead.....

February 4, 2009 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  19. Ana

My question is if we DON't get enough revenue from the Tobacco tax, since the number of smokers are decreasing not increasing……..then will the program be dropped, reduced or will be be taking money from somewhere else and if so from where?

None of these questions were addressed and I think we need to plan ahead…..

February 4, 2009 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  20. Linda

Oh goodie, so BOberry broke another campagn promise and just raised taxes on middle and lower income?

They attached a hudge tax increase for all Tobacco and related products to this SCHIP bill, now costing an ADDITIONAL AMOUNT EACH, below:
    RYO/MYO: $23.53 More per Pound
    Rolling Papers: $0.0313 More Per 50ct
    Cigarettes: $6.10 More per Carton
    Little Cigars: $0.96 More per Pack
    Pipe Tobacco: $1.71 More Per Pound
    Large Cigars: $.40 Per Pack
    Chewing Tobacco: $0.305 Per Pound

Cigarette Tubes: $ 0.0626 More Per 50ct

February 4, 2009 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  21. PSKing

I am a single mother with two children. We used to be covered by SCHIP- but when the children's father put them on his insurance (a very poor plan that pays little with very large copays) the kids were dropped from SCHIP. I was paying a monthly premium for that coverage. We were sitting at the dentist's office waiting for my daughter to have cavities filled when the staff there informed me the kids were no longer covered. My state (Arizona) never even notified me that the insurance was canceled. The dentist said "oh well- maybe after you get a different insurance we can take of her". Nice. Then he sent me a bill for the services my kids received two months prior- remember no one informed me of the cancelation... I was sent a lovely bill for $300. Can't pay it. I cannot have my childrens teeth fixed because the insurance their father has is so poor- it covers almost nothing. I cannot affored to pay the remainder- as I am living on disabilty after suffering from two brain aneurysms. I have worked full-time for over 35 years of my life- and am living at BELOW poverty level with the disability. Can't get SCHIP- can't afford the copay- stuck with a bill that I had never known I would be responsible for. Yet I have a whopping $300 "stimulus payment" coming in about a year or so. Big deal. Citigroup- AIG- the banks, the automotive industry- THEY get the big bucks- I can't even get my child's teeth fixed. Mad? YOU BET I AM.

February 4, 2009 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  22. Mari

Thank GOD! At last, a president who cares for our children!

I am still seething over so-called-pro-life Bush who denied our nation's poorest children healthcare!

And NO ONE will be forced to join unless they need it!

HOPE WON!

February 4, 2009 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  23. Sandy

Its great that you guys keep attacking sarah palin. I guess the democrats were so threatened by her bid for vice president that they want to completely destroy her publicly. Wow thanks for being so fair cnn.

February 4, 2009 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  24. seabee

I have tried to be "polite, informed and realistic" about Gov. Palin's continued self serving comments -this time about shooting wolves from an airplane. Let me just say that I don't like anything about you ! CB

February 4, 2009 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  25. ginger

do your thang Mr. President.

February 4, 2009 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |