February 4th, 2009

HAPPENING NOW: Obama signs SCHIP

Watch the event on CNN.com/live
Watch the event on CNN.com/live

(CNN) - President Obama is holding a bill signing ceremony to expand the State Children's Health Insurance Program.

Watch the event on cnn.com/live

Filed under: Happening Now
  1. beetle

CONGRATULATIONS to President Obama and his Administration! THIS IS WONDERFUL, OUTSTANDING. SCORE ONE FOR THE CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!! HOORAY!!!

February 4, 2009 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  2. for texas republic

ANOTHER GOVERMENT CONTROL-SOCIALISM

February 4, 2009 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  3. Kevin

So just because Obama supports a program that uses tax payer money to pay for childrens medical treatment means he cares more about children than Bush? I think I've heard it all.

February 4, 2009 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  4. shoegazer

It would appear on the surface as one of the more prudent events that has taken place in the last few days.

February 4, 2009 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  5. Fred

To PSKing: Get off your butt and get a job. If you can drive and type a lengthy email then you can do some real work. Sounds like you are a disability scam artist.

February 4, 2009 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  6. Nola

It is a disgrace that the wealthiest country in the universe has more than 8million uninsured children – It is also a disgrace that this country profess to be christians but are whining about providing health coverage for this many children. The parents participating in this program have to pay a monthly fee.

February 4, 2009 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  7. Newton Gaynor

Trickle down economics do not work. What if we gave every American $50,000. Since we are a nation of consumers, this money will enter the banking system via small business and savings account. Americans would buy more clothing , food, cars etc. No bail out would be necessary. The money will get right back in circulation. Drop the interest rate to 4% so people can buy more real estate. Wala, problem fixed. America has a big problem helping the poor. Only the rich is relevant. Lets try some thing radically different, the money will end up at the top eventual if its plated like roots at the bottom., If it is poured from the top like water on a tree with thick leafs, then water rearly get to the bottom

February 4, 2009 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  8. Brenda, DE

O-BABY.

He's doing a great job. Leave him alone.

February 4, 2009 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  9. tennisguypitt

To all you morons calling this socialist...

Do you even know what that is?

To all of you people who call themselves pro-life... are you willing to pay extra taxes to fund the children who would have otherwise been aborted?

Children deserve health insurance... what? Only the rich deserve to live? How stupid is that?

February 4, 2009 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  10. Mrs. Dianna Darrington, TX

I"ve never loved a president, but I love this one. He's the bravest person I know. Who in their right mind would want a country with two wars and a financial crisis like the one we have? Who would want to take on the bickering and infighting in Congress? Barack is brave, but we have to be braver. Write your congressman/woman and tell them to get with the program. He can't do it by himself.

We are looking at an American hero and I for one will do my part to work with him.

Godspeed, Mr. President. You are loved.

February 4, 2009 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  11. Jon in CA

The Great American Give-a-way!! Who cares if the country is deep in a financial crisis... lets keep expanding mo' gov-a-ment programs!!

February 4, 2009 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  12. slp

First, let me say that I am a teacher so please don't tell me that I don't care about children. I would do anything I could for a child and often spend money out of my own pocket to help the children that I teach. For those of you who think that all American citizens are entitled to healthcare, let me just share with you my view. As an American citizen you are entitled to healthcare if you work for it. All of you who sit around all day and blame Bush and the republicans for the mess that this country is in need to think about some things. This country has come to a place where it's citizens expect the government to hand them everything. I worked very hard to get through college and work very hard every day to provide for my family. I would love to be a stay at home mom to my two precious babies but because I have a husband who is self-employed I have to work because we can't afford private health insurance. Why should I have to pay higher taxes so that people who are able to work but choose not to can get health care for their children? I am not whining about having to work. I love my job and find it to be very rewarding. I also gladly work because it is what is best for my family so we can have the things we need. Things that are paid for out of my pocket and not provided by the government. It is very sad that people are now rewarded for being lazy. There was a time in this country when hard work was rewarded. I do realize that people do get down on their luck and I am glad that there are programs put in place to help those people. I could be one of them one day. However, those programs should be set up to help people get back on their feet, not keep them dependent and give them the mindset that they don't have to work because everything they need is given to them.

February 4, 2009 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  13. tennisguypitt

One more thing, to all those people who say we are rewarding illegal immigrants...

did it ever occur to you that the children are NOT the ones who broke the law, their parents did. Why should THEY be punished just because their parents did something?

February 4, 2009 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  14. Steve

All of you people who are congratulating Obama for doing something Bush refused to do need to do your research. This bill would have already been signed into law by the Bush administration, but your worthess Democrat leaders in congress kept that from happening. They attached Iraq withdrawal timelines to the bill, making it impossible for the Bush administration to go along with. Bush/Cheney didn't hate kids, they didn't want to deny them health care. So if you're looking to point the finger, blame it on Pelosi and Reid!

February 4, 2009 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  15. DG

Anyone who woud begrudge a little child having health insurance is heartless. Yes, Republicans, I am talking about you. You people have no heart,feelings or conscience. You Republican lawmakers are all determined to stand in Obama's way every step of the way. He will get no help from you all and the sooner he realizes that the better off he will be. I think he should tell all of you to kiss off and go on his merry way. I also think he is going down in history as our best President ever. SO THERE!!!!

February 4, 2009 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  16. Obama 08

If it's something Bush vetoed, then sign it in.

We still have a lot of work to do.

Getting out of Iraq should help the economy out.

All those billions in wasteful spending, yet the GOP is all for that.

Hypocrites.

February 4, 2009 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  17. KimD

Well done, Mr. President! Every child deserves quality health care, even if the Republicans and the complainers on CNN don't agree.

February 4, 2009 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  18. Simmy

I agree with Matthew.......

February 4, 2009 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  19. Marie

Good for you President at least someone cares about families who families can't afford health care.Those have oppose you have no worries because with their coverage in congress their children and grandchildren don't have to worry about health care as well as yourself this is why I applaud you for thinking about the average hard working families

February 4, 2009 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  20. I hate Rush but.......

Today Barry went on TV and said the snow was cold and the sky was high up in the air, and the sheep all bleated that is was the "greatest story ever told".

"Keep up the bahhhhhhhh, great work, hand everyone everything in life so we all get "issued one white picket fence, one loaf of bread bahhhhhh, and a fish each and every day".

And if you work harder than the next guy we will take from him, bahhhh and share it with ewe........snicker, snicker.

Great job? Are you people serious, a pork filled package that wouldn't stimulate Harry Reid, Tax cheating picks that have had to step down, Holder, Geithner and Richardson, oh my.....

The Secretary of state won't give up cash to her hubby from foreigners while she will be making deals with those same foreigners???

Bush is gone, yay, and this is the best we can do?

One and done Barry.

01/22/2013

February 4, 2009 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  21. Joyce in Indiana

S-CHIP is an extremely cost-effective program. Look, people, you are paying for the health care of uninsured children anyway. Many of the children covered by S-CHIP could not otherwise have preventative health care, so they would end up in your hospital emergency room where the costs are much higher, and where their parents have no hope of paying the bill. You pay for their care every time you go to the hospital.

Let's just give them good care when they are children so they can grow up to be healthy, productive, tax-paying citizens when they are adults.

February 4, 2009 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  22. Jenny

Good points about it: Tobacco users foot the bill, children get needed coverage, and it is the right thing to do.

Negative points: Gee, I can't think of any. :-)

February 4, 2009 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  23. arnie

Mr. Presidents take your time. The Republicans put us in this mess now they want us to continue down the same road. You have to be kidding me! You have the RNC (Racist National Committee) who would love to see you fail. I know you will prove them wrong. You have the support of the American people who voted for you 53% to 47%. Plus your approval rating is off the chart. We know you are human and humans make mistakes. We voted for you because of change not because you are perfect. We know mistakes will happen but at least you are man enough to realize this. Listen to the majority of the people. Do what you have to do. Don't let them push you around. Show them the real Barack Obama, the agent for change, the great communicator. Let them have it over the next few weeks.

February 4, 2009 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  24. theaviator

I am amazed at the hatred here. All of Obama's executive orders and signatures so far have been right. Everybody makes mistakes, no President is perfect unless you don't know your history.

Some people call it socialism, I call it common sense.

Gallup polls of the last couple of days:

Feb. 3
    75% of Americans support a stimulus, although half want changes but still that's pretty strong

Obama approval for today is at 65% which is very high for a Democrat, it's much higher than the conservatives' hero Ronald Reagan at this same time.

February 4, 2009 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  25. No Hillary = No Obama

Here another George Bush disgrace.

February 4, 2009 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |