February 5th, 2009

NY school officially named after President

Students line up at the official ceremony to unveil the Barack Obama Elementary School sign.

(CNN) - Students at former Ludlum Elementary School made history when their school became the first in the nation to be renamed after President Barack Obama. It’s virtually unheard of to name an educational institution after a sitting president. Students and parents gathered for the official name change ceremony Wednesday morning where the “Barack Obama Elementary School” sign was unveiled.

During the campaign season, the children became interested in the election, participating in mock presidential debates at the Long Island elementary school - which sits in close proximity to Hofstra University, the site of the final presidential debate.

They began the movement to officially change their school’s name to honor the 44th president. Following the election, the Hempstead School Board voted unanimously to adopt the resolution after students read their written requests to make the name change permanent.

After the inauguration, all 466 students received navy sweatshirts from the school with the words “Yes We Can” emblazoned in English and Spanish. The school is roughly 60 percent Hispanic and 40 percent African-American.

President Obama was invited to the ceremony, but was unable to attend.

Filed under: President Obama
  1. Carl

I can't wait for the first city to change it's name to something honoring the current president.

That way, I know for sure that this Republic is truly dead, and the halfwits that voted for the name change represent the true fact of america...

February 5, 2009 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  2. Veta Gardner

My question is: Why are some commentators keep saying Barack Obama or Mr. Obama and not President Obama. They say President Bush who is no longer the President and also other past Presidents are given their respect. I think it is very disrespectful not to give the new President his title and refer to him as President Obama.

February 5, 2009 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  3. Erik

This is AWFUL....

why doesnt everyone just get on their hands and knees...move into the direction of Washington and pray to their MESSIAH BARACK HUSSIEN OBAMA

...5 times a day at least

February 5, 2009 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  4. latina for Obama

Now that is pretty cool.

February 5, 2009 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  5. Krejaton

Could it be that McCain was right? The mass hysteria fomenting in this country is nothing short of frightening. It may not be long before the calls of "Messiah" begin.

February 5, 2009 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  6. dontbahater

the most interesting phenomena that exists on these commentary strips is that it is living, breathing proof of the trouble our country is in! We live in times where being ignorant is something to boast about, and intellectualism is perceived as a weakness. Just spend one day in an American high school and you will notice that intelligence (and not just "nerds") is something that kids don't respect in each other. it's the kid who can run a touchdown or play a guitar who is idolized. our kids are products or ourselves and our society. look at the comments here...primarily racist, negative, and ill-informed. I'm a high school English teacher and have been for five years...and I'm baffled by the magnitude of idiocy which surrounds me. Not in an elitist way, but c'mon people! How "civilized" are you really?

February 5, 2009 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  7. Otto

If the children wants it, so be it! If it motivates them, they should do what they did. Good for them. Hate all you want; you are going to go nuts later!

February 5, 2009 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  8. Carol B.

Okay, Obama has done not one significant thing for this country and they already have a school named after him?? Please, stop this Obama worshipping/Butt kissing.

February 5, 2009 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  9. Al P

The guy made HISTORY PEOPLE.... We should be more worried about the EDUCATION TAUGHT in the school. The name means nothing compair the knowledge it gives. SO What..... If the school was named after you, and produced future leaders, PRESIDENTS... You'd be pretty proud... Learn Somthing!!!!

Im OUt!

February 5, 2009 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  10. Keith, Co

February 5th, 2009 5:33 pm ET {Paula}
    Look at the people in the picture of this school, they appear to be of hispanic orgin which means they may be Illegals and not even know what the rules of this country and they could be trying to Kiss-up so President Obama could make them legal.
    ____________________________________________________
    and republicans wonder why minority's don't trust them. I will never stand side by side with the intolerant base of the party. I am aware this is a poor representative, but still the thought of casting my vote with people like Paula makes me sick!

February 5, 2009 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  11. david

i think the speaker for the obama is a real dumb he dont know a thing

February 5, 2009 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  12. No Incumbents 2010

I'm afraid that before it is all said and done America might be renamed Obama land. With huge statues and pictures much like the controversial AP photo plastered on every street corner so we can see them while we stand for hours waiting in lines for healthcare and bread. Hail to the Chief.

STOP THE MADNESS!

February 5, 2009 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  13. Patrick

Good to know that tax dollars are working hard not-educating kids, but paying for ridiculous publicity stunts.

February 5, 2009 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  14. JT from Missouri

Jimbo from st. louis: What in the world are you talking about? If he was not legally supposed to run for president, the FBI would have told him not to run. I have no problem with Democrats or Republicans, but the stupidity of your comment is disgraceful,bigoted, narrow minded, short sided, and uneducated. Get over your sweet self and get behind OUR president. If he fails, this country is done for. I am 18 years old, and I want to go to college with a hope that I can get a good job. If this country fails by it's own people wishing it to fail, you can blame nobody but yourselves.
    "Divided we fall, United we stand". Abraham LIncoln

February 5, 2009 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  15. Ex-Destiny's Child Member

YEAH RIGHT! YOU ARE NO DEMOCRAT MIKE! STOP LYING...BE PROUD OF WHO YOU ARE A GOP-GETTING OLD PEOPLE

-________________________________________________-
    mike February 5th, 2009 1:52 pm ET

I'm a lifelong democrat and I voted for Obama because I believed his message of change and hope after 8 years of Bush. However, after seeing what he has done since being in office (hiring tax cheats, trying to push this wasteful socialist "stimulus" package on us, turning up the thermostat in the WH while telling us to turn ours down). What a hypocrite!!! I hope you all are doing your homework into the “stimulus” package. A 1500 dollar tax credit for ILLEGAL ALIENS??? I'm having buyer’s remorse about Obama. I think we've been had and I’m really worried about the future of this country. I think one party in control is very dangerous (especially with the likes of Pelosi on the Dems side).

February 5, 2009 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  16. walter

Where is Ronald Reagan when we need him??

February 5, 2009 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  17. Barbara

Wow! Can I enroll my son? Great job!!

February 5, 2009 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  18. Sam

Dan...President Obama did not put us in any hole. He is trying to help us climb out of the very deep hole that Dubya "Nucular" Bushie put us in. That idiot can't pronounce single syllable words, and voters in this country trusted him to lead the nation. He couldn't lead a dog by a leash. I am incredibly thankful that the worthless moron has slithered off to Texas where he can't damage this country any further.

February 5, 2009 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  19. Sam

Ronnie Reagan, thankfully, is in a hole in the ground.

February 5, 2009 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  20. Dave, IA

All schools should be named after Demo-craps. Just like the auto industry, UNIONS are killing our schools!

February 5, 2009 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  21. Mr Magoo

Amazing. The same people who voted in bush twice now have a lot of negative things to say about President Obama. Before bush stole the President's chair from Gore, he was a failure at everything he tried to do. Once he became President he became the biggest failure in history, yet you idiots support him. Kids have a six sense, they can look at someone and tell if they are good or bad. bush was on vacation for most of his Presidency. At least President Obama is trying to fix the mess you republicans got us into. Why don't you all go to Alaska and hunt wolves or something.

February 5, 2009 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  22. This is CHANGE

THIS will be the cool/trendy community thing! Not to mention if cities want their 'stimulus', they need to schmooze the big guy by renaming a school or something for him! Way to go...Pay to play or just CHANGE???

February 5, 2009 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  23. Good Luck to Them

I see in so many post that the name of the school doesn't matter. If the name doesn't matter, then why not "Charles Manson Elementary"? He may be the first president who is half-black but he has still not proven himself in office yet. I've seen firsthand how naming things after people can backfire when they end up being not so "great". OK, I know I've probably ticked off some people so go ahead and trash me. I'll be waiting.

February 5, 2009 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  24. Joe

Let me guess, this school is mostly african american. Am I right?

February 5, 2009 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  25. SuperDuperIndependent

I am all for education and even naming schools after good role models (although this is very subjective). But to rename your school after Obama within a few weeks of his election before he has done anything of merit (getting elected doesn't count) seems a little premature. This appears to be just another group of "converts" to the Obama fantasy. Obama, so far, is pure rhetoric. Looks like these kids aren't getting a very good education after all.

I am an independent voter who despises the right wing GOP and the Hyper-Hypocrite Democrats.

February 5, 2009 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |