February 5th, 2009

NY school officially named after President

Students line up at the official ceremony to unveil the Barack Obama Elementary School sign.

(CNN) - Students at former Ludlum Elementary School made history when their school became the first in the nation to be renamed after President Barack Obama. It’s virtually unheard of to name an educational institution after a sitting president. Students and parents gathered for the official name change ceremony Wednesday morning where the “Barack Obama Elementary School” sign was unveiled.

During the campaign season, the children became interested in the election, participating in mock presidential debates at the Long Island elementary school - which sits in close proximity to Hofstra University, the site of the final presidential debate.

They began the movement to officially change their school’s name to honor the 44th president. Following the election, the Hempstead School Board voted unanimously to adopt the resolution after students read their written requests to make the name change permanent.

After the inauguration, all 466 students received navy sweatshirts from the school with the words “Yes We Can” emblazoned in English and Spanish. The school is roughly 60 percent Hispanic and 40 percent African-American.

President Obama was invited to the ceremony, but was unable to attend.

Filed under: President Obama
  1. Charlize

Looks like a publicity stunt to me. Right now, it must be the most known elementary school in the country, and probably in the world. Let's see if their students become successful and productive just as Obama, or it's just a shallow use of his name.

February 5, 2009 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  2. bill

Cool! I want to name my street after him!

February 5, 2009 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  3. Gerda Edwards

The school administration is absolutely irresponsible.

Pres Obama has done NOTING except win some elections and publish some books. His primary accomplishment while in the Senate was winning the Presidential election.

I guess this is consistent with no longer keeping score in baseball, banning red pens in grading homework, and the myriad of other liberal tactics to dumb down the importance of actual performance.

February 5, 2009 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  4. tennisguypitt

Holy cow, there are so many haters here.

Stupid, stupid, stupid. You will never hear me complain about naming places after a president I didn't approve. I didn't like Ronald Reagan too much, for example.

To all bloggers like BH, RIP America, Whine whine whine: Have you ever noticed you are the ones who say "Messiah Worshipper", I can't think of any dem who would do that!

I'm guessing that some of these bloggers are 10 years old.

February 5, 2009 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  5. Ken

This is really stupid! Why is the media even giving this air or print time? This is truly a joke gone bad!

WHAT IS NEXT?????

February 5, 2009 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  6. Pant wetting liberal

As a good little pant wetting liberal, i think its GREAT that we named a school after someone who has been president for a month. I wouldn't dare say otherwise, I would be racist then and would have to go hate myself. Go Obama!!! I am your sheep, lead the way!!!

February 5, 2009 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  7. Dan

This guy does not desrve his name on any school. He has done nothing so far and he has put us in the hole and we are going deeper now because he does not know how to lead. His advisers are busy to get their pay-check. They do not care for our nation.

February 5, 2009 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  8. DJ

I'm as big a fan of Obama as anybody – but I've gotta say, I think it's nuts to name a school after a president who's been in office for mere weeks.

Yes, he's the first black president. Yes, regardless of what's to come for him (and us), it's historic. But what if he turns out to be a seriously horrible president? A horrific mess – like Bush or something? Then you've got a school of all things named after him. Yes, he's an accomplished American, and maybe that's the justification. It's not like his resume was blank before he became President. BUT ... it just seems that his era is really only beginning, and to bestow an honor such as this on him at this stage seems ill-advised.

February 5, 2009 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  9. Amber

OMG........give me a break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 5, 2009 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  10. DJ

Also, if the kids are allowed to name their schools now, watch out for Hannah Montana Elementary and Joe Jonas High.

February 5, 2009 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  11. TCM

@ – Abby – February 5th, 2009 1:48 pm ET

The kids asked for this. Good for them!

Are you for real? The kids are 10 at the most, and are parrots for their entitlement-draining parents...who are home making more kids for the American Tax payers to support. This was one of the stupidest things I've seen yet, net to Obama Girl....and the ignorant "hope" picture CNN's sporting....all for an unproven, and questionable guy.

February 5, 2009 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  12. Soldier 4 OBAMA

Do anyone know if Bush W or Cheney or Rove have anything name after them except for lies, WARs and the economy. We are the inheritors of the Bush, Cheney, Rove economy!

February 5, 2009 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  13. Dittohead

change USA to land of OBAMA.

February 5, 2009 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  14. sbush

So you mean to tell me that is wasn't enough that he was ELECTED to the highest office in this country as a man of color (the first, mind you) to have them name the school after him.? Wow...
    No matter what he does, he will constantly be criticized for not having done "enough".
    From what I have always been told I guess it IS true that you will never be able to please EVERYONE.
    Maybe my son when he grows up can change the double standard.

February 5, 2009 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  15. Soldier 4 OBAMA

Tell all the haters to walk, cause we Soldiers who VOTED for the CIC will not allow him to fail. Just Brush them HATERS off!

February 5, 2009 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  16. Rob

Let's see, naming, schools when he's accomplished NOTHING, writing op-ed pieces trying to scare us. Going to have a prime time new conference where he'll do some more bullying. How long until he starts convincing the American people that all our problems are because of a certain nationality/ethnicity? How much longer til we're wearing brown shirts and burning books he deems against the cause.

You know, we're all thinking he was going all Neville Chamberlain with regards to the terrorists, maybe he means to take another approach.

So where do Pelosi, Reid, Frank, Dodd, and Schumer fit into his master race? I guess Rev. Wright will have a high level position after all.

Anyone know how "seek, hail!" translates into ebonix?

February 5, 2009 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  17. Judas Watcher

The comment below is a contradiction between how Obama views the faith-based initiative and its need to address tough questions verses how little oversight he wants on a 800+ million stimulus bill. What a hypocrite.

Obama found that one of the problems with the previous Initiative was that tough questions were decided without appropriate consideration, data, and input from different sides, the officials said.

February 5, 2009 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  18. snb

I can't believe that no one is giving thought to those children who considered themselves part of their own political process and were thought of enough to have their voices heard about what they would like to see on the school.

I would hate to have them read any of this unnecessary, bitter-filled commentary from those less than noteworthy.

God Bless America and thank Him for our freedoms as we know them!!!!

February 5, 2009 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  19. Kevin

This is a role model for ALL of our children, black, white, brown, red yellow, Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Athiest or whatever you are, this is a role model children to emulate, and as an African American, I am proud to have voted for him. Because of him, my children are dreaming bigger dreams and they are working harder to achieve more from themselves, AND THEY ARE 5 AND 6 YEARS OLD!!! It also wants me to go out and learn more.

February 5, 2009 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  20. Jay Adams-Feuer

It's inappropriate for anyone to name a school after a sitting President. It smacks of Stalinism and Ted Stevensism.

February 5, 2009 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  21. Amber

mike @ 1:52 is having a VERY hard time convincing ANYONE that he is a "lifelong Democrat"...

I'm the queen of France! Does that make what I have to say any more precient?

February 5, 2009 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  22. Liberals are truly morons, you're right

House Diva's comments are illogical. What do some black people's musical abilities have to do with the President of the United States's ability to lead the nation, whether you can't stand the Obamanation like me, or you support him, like House DIpstick???

February 5, 2009 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  23. Marc PDX

LOL – he hasn't done anything yet (ever!)... what if he turns out to be another goofball like Jimmy Carter? Just rename the school? :)

February 5, 2009 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  24. Brian

I voted for Obama and generally think he's done a good job so far. But he does not deserve to have things named after him yet, especially when they're not in Ilinois or Hawaii. We also have an unwritten rule in this country that we should not name things after presidents while they are still in office. FYI, I think Bush Airport was named after George Sr.

February 5, 2009 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  25. Majority Rule Moral Majority

The majority had to go through this in South Africa also. Sad day.

February 5, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |