February 5th, 2009

Sources: Committee informed two days ago about Solis tax issues

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Two sources familiar with Hilda Solis’ confirmation process tells CNN the reason the committee vote on her nomination to be Labor Secretary was postponed today is because Democrats and Republicans on the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions committee did not know about her husband’s tax issues until two days ago, when they were approached by USA Today.

"We reviewed her tax returns, and her tax returns are in order," Press Secretary Robert Gibbs told reporters Wednesday. "The story denotes that her husband had some issues with paying a business tax and, obviously, that taxes should be paid.

"[Solis] is not a partner in that business, so we're not going to penalize her for her husband's business mistakes. Obviously, her husband, I think, has and should pay any taxes that he owes."

Filed under: Hilda Solis
  1. obama-mama

Why do I smell a rat?

February 5, 2009 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  2. Bob in Pa

Another ?? God help us. I wonder if their is an IRS officer willing to call in the entire Congress and their staff members for Audits ?

February 5, 2009 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  3. Mike, Syracuse NY

Taxgate continues.

February 5, 2009 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  4. Mississippi Mike

Another one bites the dust.

Obama is either so corrupt he doesn't care whether or not his appointees obey tax laws or he is so incompetent that he can't properly vet his candidates. Take your pick.

February 5, 2009 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  5. Put Away Childish Ways

I hope bloggers of both political parties will stomp on partisans that choose to make assine comments / connections between this man and this woman, who, clearly maintain a firewall on the subject of taxes.

She remains unaffected by any issues he may or may not have.

February 5, 2009 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  6. Boston Irish

OMG – Another tax issue. You'd think after the first one they would learn to ask the right questions and not nominate someone they are going to have trouble selling. I think there is a comprehension problem with his vetting squad. Maybe him too for not doing anything about it.

February 5, 2009 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  7. Scott the Independent

Now the spouse's taxes are under review. Did anyone check Chenney's wife's returns or Cindy McCain – oh right they both refused to submit full details of their returns.

February 5, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  8. Linda

All these tax issues by government officials need to be investigated by proper authorities. This is absurd that all these nominees are owing taxes. The adverage american has to pay taxes, so how are these people in Washington avoiding it! ALL government employees, including the President down to the White House staff need to be REQUIRED TO HAVE CURRENT TAX INFORMATION. And now all these people need to be investigated
    What a joke!

February 5, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  9. obama-mama

Solis Tax issue? She doesn't have a tax issue and you're not even sure about her husband's tax issue. He is not being appointed here.

February 5, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  10. Come again!

Is anyone in Washington paying taxes! Are we the only ones paying taxes. Mr. President....I love you, but you need to appoint a Tax czar to look to audit everyone in congress ...... this is freaking ridiculous! If I hear about another tax issue with another appointee I am going to scream. Its a good thing the Obama admin. have these stringent requirements or these things would not be coming out!

February 5, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  11. BB

I'd hate to be held accountable or punished for what my EX-husband did. My my my.

February 5, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  12. Looking for Truth

This new change in government and ethics is really going big guns.
    Congrats on the first 15 days. How many lobbyist and tax cheats does this make now.

February 5, 2009 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  13. Jeff Spangler, Arlington, VA

Simple suggested question to Obama vetters: Do you or your spouse have any reason to believe that your income and taxes for the past ten years have not been fully and accurately reported and paid? (A "yes" leads to an intensive face-to-face and paper audit, and no one is indispensible.)

February 5, 2009 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  14. montag24

Why am I not surprised? Wasn't it Leona Helmsley who said that "only the little people pay taxes?"

February 5, 2009 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  15. Luke

Haven't seen any comment on the stem cell bill introduced by Diana DeGette today.

H.R.873 : To amend the Public Health Service Act to provide for human embryonic stem cell research.
    Sponsor: Rep DeGette, Diana [CO-1] (introduced 2/4/2009)

February 5, 2009 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  16. Sniffit

GOPers making a mountain out of what's not even a molehill in 3...2...1...

February 5, 2009 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  17. Shirley in California

I say this as an Obama supporter. If he is enforcing the law and trying to get others to do what's right-[Gaietner] sp. should NOT be in his cabinet. While most of us are not entirely truthful with the IRS – most of us don't hold KEY cabinet positions. President Obama needs to rethink this situation. This is REALLY dishonest in my opinion and should be corrected ASAP. Yet another misappropriation on taxes. These people are not stupid-they are just abusing their power and financial status with the government. I can only imagine if one of us tried this.

February 5, 2009 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  18. California Gold

Didn't these people get the memo? Report correctly and pay your tax bill.

February 5, 2009 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  19. jaye

Call for every single person in government to have a 7 year tax audit....senate, congress, aides, etc.
    Lets just see who the tax cheats are.

February 5, 2009 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  20. John G

ANOTHER nominee with tax problems?

Too bad I pay my taxes every year, I guess they won't make me secretary of anything.

February 5, 2009 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  21. Dont blame me

Aren't there any CLEAN democrats that DON'T have TAX PROBLEMS???

According to VP Biden ALL of these apointments are UNPATRIOTIC !!

February 5, 2009 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  22. Eeyore

I guess that is why Democrats have no problem with raising taxes.. they don't pay them!

February 5, 2009 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  23. thomas

Aren't all of these tax issues a "red flag" that our tax system has serious leaks and deficiencies. In other words, it's unfair.

February 5, 2009 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  24. Obama Victim

whaaaaaaaaatttt??? a corrupt Democrat?? how can that be??

February 5, 2009 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  25. DEMwits

With all these high profile libs being nailed for tax evasion...it begs the question: how rampant is this problem amongst the rest of the populus???

Maybe if we collected all the taxes truly due the federal government we could balance the budget for once?

February 5, 2009 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |