February 6th, 2009

BREAKING: Tentative agreement reached on stimulus

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Democratic and Republican senators have reached a tentative agreement for a $780 billion stimulus package, according to two Democratic sources and a GOP negotiator.

Full story

Filed under: Stimulus
  1. DIZIZI31

WE THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN TO OUR ELECTED CONGRESSMEN AND CONGRESSWOMEN AND OUR VOICES ARE HEARD... IF WE LOSE OUR JOB!!! SO WILL YOU SENATORS'

February 6, 2009 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  2. fearful for my country

This is NOT enough! They should cut all 338 billion that the taxpayers spend on illegal aliens every single year! Close the borders, send them home!

February 6, 2009 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  3. Ray Fisher, Albuquerque, NM

I was taken aback by Sen. McCain's remarks against the stimulus particularly citing the TARP annoucement coming next week adding additional strain upon America's finances considering his son's failed Silver Bank in Nevada is one of the latest failed banks TARP has been covering. This man left shame somewhere between Hanoi and Charles Keating I believe as he shows no sign of decency in the Senate!!!

February 6, 2009 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  4. Zion

It is amazing that the same party that screams lets take personal responsibility refuses to step up and take responsibility for the mess THEY (Republicans) got us into. Republicans don't you get sick of the Republican leaders speaking to you as if you are no smarter than an 8th grader. Pork. Is that the new vocabulary word in an attempt to sound smart. Listen, pork in Republican terms simply means investment in Education, Health, and Energy. All they know are tax cuts, one of the most short term, ineffective economic tools available.

February 6, 2009 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  5. Lori

Not sure why so many Republicans stood up and said they weren't invited to help craft this bill? What am I missing? I can distinctly remember President Obama reaching out to the Republicans and wanting them to participate. They wouldn't be trying to play partisan politics now would they?!?!

February 6, 2009 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  6. FOR THE REPUBLIC OF TEXAS

this is sick--all of you democrats are so stupid. THIS IS SOCIALISM, THE END OF CAPATILISM. NOW THE USA WILL BE JUST A THIRD WORLD COUNTRY. THE END OF OUR GREATEST I VOTE FOR TEXAS TO MOVE OUT OF THE USA... THIS IS THE END...GOOD BYE

February 6, 2009 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  7. he is NOT the chosen one after all

dumbocrats rejoice...Collins, Snow and Spector will be targeted for defeat in their next re-election ....NO rinos like McCain and Haggle allowed.

February 6, 2009 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  8. Rob

This is still not stimulus !!

February 6, 2009 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  9. Lynette

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT! CHANGE WE CAN BELIEVE IN!

February 6, 2009 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  10. Jeff

BHO with his "let's get everybody together" approach has just launched a socialist agenda that ensures we will become a third world country and lose our creative motivation.

I never voted for this guy and never would.

February 6, 2009 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  11. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

YOU REPUKES ARE GOING TO BE A MEMBERS OF A MARGINALIZED, REGIONAL, PATHETIC, SOUTHERN, KKK/NEO NAZI, OLD WHITE RICH MEN AND WOMEN PARTY.

AMERICA SPOKIE ON NOVEMBER 4TH AND HOPE WON!!!

YOU OLD OBSTRUCTIONISTS WILL GET YOUR JUST REWARDS.

YOU JUST WAIT!

Your President is a a Constitutional lawyer who taught at the University of Chicago at the same time he was an Illinois State Senator.
    We DID NOT elect a dummy in office, unlike you Repukes who voted for Dubya the second time around AFTER he stole his first term.

I'm so sick of old people thinking they REALLY know what's up.
    DISGUSTING!!!!

I NEED A SHOT OF JACK DANIELS. I JUST CAN'T STOMACH THIS BS ANYMORE.

February 6, 2009 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  12. Texas Teacher

The Republicans tried tax breaks for the wealthy... it did not work! Now they want us to believe that they have OUR best interests at heart? Pffft..... fool us once, shame on you.... fool us over and over again.... shame on us! I think we need to start looking at what these bozos have done for this country! NOTHING! They have bankrupted this country and sold us out to China! Now they want more tax cuts? What about spending bozos... we need to have JOBS so we can spend money without going into spasms of fear over our next meal!

February 6, 2009 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  13. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

AFTER READING ALL THE DUMB COMMENTS FROM THE REPUKES I REALLY DESERVE THE JACK DANIELS SHOT I'VE BEEN WANTING ALL NIGHT!

*gulp*

ALL YOU REPUKE CAN KISS MY BUTT.

HOPE WON. GET OVER IT!

YES WE CAN!!!!

GO BARACK, GO!!!!!

February 6, 2009 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  14. Ernie in LA

JJ, You got that right. Thanks.

February 6, 2009 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  15. Texas Teacher

Drop... what everyourname is..... you are about to lose your mind!

If we do not have jobs.... we cannot spend... Obama wants to put money into JOBS! When have we heard this before? If you know so much about depressions... then you know exactly what I am talking about! The making of those jobs SAVED us from starvation and homelessness... I think it has a good chance of working again! Seriously... don't you, Bozo? :( Or have you lost the ability to reason for yourself. Limbaugh is not the know all of anything... except his own drug problem.... get a life....

February 6, 2009 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  16. voter

It is amazing to read some of the compliants on the board about the stimulus lan. I am wondering where were all of these compliants when the republicans auctioned the country to the wall street fat cats and oil companies. They ran this country over the cliff. Where was the outrage then.

February 6, 2009 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  17. mary,florida

Its been down hill since Reagan started cutting taxes on the rich.The republicans are right about one thing more tax cuts. For the middle and poor.And more taxes for the rich and corporations like the 1950's ,1960's.It worked then and it is the only thing that will save this country now.

February 6, 2009 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  18. Anonymous

The package is to small. It's effects will be negligible. We have traded what was initially a good package for bipartisanship. The Democrats should have handled the obstruction with extreme prejudice and did what they knew was right for the country. This is another one of those moments where my party appears somewhat weak for compromising.

However, this is a major hurdle that has been overcome. Help is going to get out to the American people...FINALLY! After bailing out Wall Street and the Auto industry, I wondered if the government by the people for the people would ever get around to bailing out the people. However, this is only the first step to beginning our recovery in this recession.

I end this post with these words. MACRO ECONOMICS is the dismal science and Government spending does stimulate the economy.

IT'S TRUE
    IT IS TRUE!

February 6, 2009 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  19. DavidinCA

How do tax cuts help millions of Americans who don't have jobs? Easy, really. Instead of paying so much of their revenue in taxes for government to waste money, businesses can use that money put people to work. Really, no magic there. It's just that easy! I am a business owner and I would much rather have more people to help get our work done than pay taxes for government to blow on these spending projects!

February 6, 2009 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  20. Texas Teacher

Someone needs to take the air out of these windbag repubs.... they are all losing their minds! Seriously....

How long before 2010..... ????

February 6, 2009 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  21. Han

All the economists have said that this bill is a disaster. There will be more un-employment and more misery to all of us. I just hope that Republicans will come to power in 2010 and they can teach all democrats including Barack how to govern. Right now may I request everybody call their congressman and senator and submit your protest. Believe me if we keep everything as it is without any stimulus bill, we will come out of this recession in the next 6-8 months. I wonder if Barack is using any stimulants.

February 6, 2009 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  22. brenda

someone PLEASE set me straight because I am really confused. please explain to me why a permanent tax cut for me will not put extra money in my pocket? and why I wouldnt take that money and spend it? or invest it? or hire someone to work for me? or take a loan out from the bank? if i had extra money i would sit on ofr fear that taxes would be raised in the near future (IF the tax cut given was temporary) but if it were permanent, the bank could depend on it, i could depoend on it, my worker could depened on it the stores could depend on it.... so why is giving me a permanent tax cut a bad idea?and WHY are the dems so adament that tax cuts are bad...real bad?

February 6, 2009 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  23. SueB

All you folks who are so excited about this bill should read it. I did, all 400+ pages of the original but they're not sharing this compromise. It's quite the eye opener. The people that have lost their jobs, from aerospace engineers to computer programmers to financial industry employees to sales people to coffee makers are not going to find a replacement under this bill. I didn't agree with the original bailout last Sep, and for all you who think it was a fat cat Wall St bailout it was more a save your bank and your money bailout. Definitely don't agree with this one. Obama can sweet talk how essential it is, and tell us how we are in critical condition heading to catastrophic, but we just aren't. When we have mega lines at the gas pumps, 20% unemployement, inflation out the ying yang like back in the early 70's, then maybe we can talk critical. We are so far from the catastrophic of the 1929 depression that it's not even on the far horizon. Where we are now, doing nothing will result in a quicker recovery then pouring billions into useless short term programs.

February 6, 2009 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  24. bill

God bless America and our leaders.

February 6, 2009 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  25. Annie, Atlanta

JJ I hate to break it to you but our economy did not boom for 6 of the 8 years of the BushCo reign. I know you want to blame it on the dems, but that's just not the case. It was both parties deregulating greed.

February 6, 2009 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |