February 6th, 2009

Palin: ESPN inspired daughter's name

(CNN) – Sarah Palin’s media blitz continues in a new, expansive interview with Esquire magazine, in which the Alaska governor reflects on the presidential race, her favorite lip balm, and how her ESPN motivated her to name her daughter Bristol.

Palin told the magazine the inspiration for her oldest daughter’s name had a few sources. She once worked at a Dillingham hotel called the Bristol Inn, and her husband Todd grew up in Bristol Bay.

“But also, Bristol, Connecticut, is the home of ESPN,” she explained. “And when I was in high school, my desire was to be a sportscaster. ESPN was just kicking off, just getting off the ground, and I thought that's what I was going to do in life, is be one of the first woman sportscasters. Until I learned that you'd have to move to Bristol, Connecticut. It was far away. So instead, I had a daughter and named her Bristol.”

Esquire published online excerpts of the interview last month, including one in which Palin bashed “bored, anonymous, pathetic bloggers who lie.” But on Friday, the magazine released a miscellany of nearly two dozen quotes from the interview, which covered everything from moose chili to Saturday Night Live.

Looking back on the campaign, Palin reiterated her disappointment with the McCain campaign’s decision to pull out of Michigan early.

“We pulled out of some states that I believe we should have continued to campaign in and sent a stronger message that those states really mattered, regardless of the number of electoral votes there,” she said. “The people mattered. I would have loved to have had more influence on where it was that we campaigned.”

As she said in the earlier excerpts, Palin said she wished she could have called “some of the shots” in the race. “Don't just assume that they know you well enough to make all your decisions for ya,” she said.

The governor noted that she’s a big fan of a certain lip ointment. “I'm addicted to Carmex,” she said. “I don't go anywhere without Carmex.”

She also said: “Everything I've ever needed to know I learned through sports.”

At the end of a long day, she said, she likes to take a bath with her son Trig, and then fall asleep listening her daughter Piper read aloud.

“She's learning to read and she'll read for hours on end,” she said. “It's idyllic. It's amazing.”

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Oh Heck No!

Another reason I'm glad she isn't in line to be President. What an airhead.

February 6, 2009 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  2. Shawn Coggins

How can we ever expect for things to get better when the elected officials in congress are entrenched in party lines and start very comment or speech by placing blame. Democrats make comments blaming Present Bush for everything going on limiting all the trouble to just the last 8 years when we know that the seeds were planted long before he took office, along with the war that started and continues. A lot of those members in congress were there during the whole 8 years and if there blame to be places they share equally. Republicans are standing fast on their own party lines, saying the democrats are spending money that I children will have to pay back and at the same time they are putting their own pork spending into the bill. It is time to put the blame aside and for the Present to Stand Up and put forward to the people the package for everyone eyes to see, it would be nice to see all the bull that our elected official are trying to put into this bill before it gets past, instead of finding out about it after its passed. Let the People be the judge and see what they support

February 6, 2009 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  3. Faray

If I could just get my hands around John McCain' neck, for bringing this nitwit into the spot light!

February 6, 2009 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  4. P. Mathew

And CNN considers this is vital news? Now I know why I get my news from other sources.

February 6, 2009 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  5. DR

I'm not a Palin supporter, but to those of you who are grossed out about the thought of taking a bath with your child....Trig is a baby, for cripe's sake! I guess breastfeeding past age 1 week also grosses you out? Get your minds out of the gutter, people.

And to Steve in Las Vegas: What is a "normal name"?

Again, I'll choose not to vote for Sarah Palin if she ever runs in a national election, but as a mom (and a working mom), I know things like taking a bath with your infant is a wonderful way to continue bonding with your child.

February 6, 2009 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  6. Christy

It's great that she's encouraging her children to read, but doesn't the mom usualy put the child to bed?

February 6, 2009 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  7. Ruby

Here she is Ms. Beauty Queen with no brain.

February 6, 2009 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  8. NEL E BELL

I'VE FINALLY FIGURED THIS CHICK OUT. SHE'S A NARSISTIC LOUD MOUTH. AT FIRST I THOUGHT SHE WAS REFRESHING, NOW SHE IS A MEDIA JUNKIE. ONCE ALASKANS VOTE HER OUT YOU CAN BET SHE WILL BE THE RUSH LIMPBISCUIT OF THE GREAT WHITE NORTH. SARAH, YOU AND YOUR CREEPY OLD MAN NEED TO GET HONEST WORK AND QUITE USING THE TAXPAYERS FOR YOUR MEAL TICKETS.

February 6, 2009 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  9. r sisk, nevada

Wow, this is news!!!! This will bring jobs to millions and help restore our economy. Go Palin!!!! And Bristol.

LOL

February 6, 2009 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  10. Michael

First of all, to 'hello' who complained that Palin is not "well read" ; "Well read" has a hyphen. (well-read)
    Secondly, what's probably happened with this ESPN, and then CNN report, is that the actual quotes that Sarah Palin had to say about governing were omitted for more sensational fluff like what happened in the Katie Couric and Charlie Gibson interviews.
    Thirdly, we've already seen Obama be involved in two "pay to play" scandals as well as try to put in two cabinet members who are guilty of tax evasion...and he's not even been in a month. Juxtapose this with Sarah Palin being the highest rated governor in the U.S. who has not been found guilty of any of the accusations that the liberal media/democrats tried to pin on her.
    I hope she is around in four years.

February 6, 2009 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  11. mary

Thank God this woman did not get into the white house. All she would have promised to have done was that every American household had a 4 year supply of Carmex in their bathrooms. She is absolutely sickening.

February 6, 2009 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  12. Brian

just because i speak the truth about the hatred still coming from the left...CNN will not post it! Cnn, you are so biased!!

February 6, 2009 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  13. Angie in Pa

Just when I thought She is an airhead and clueless HERE YOU GO!

February 6, 2009 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  14. Al, NY NY

She should name her kid Hustler 'cause although she may not read it, it's a perfect description of this dimwit. I'm so glad she is talking to people now, albeit about THE most inane subjects. By the way, has she spent any time lately actually doing her job in the Yukon? Her grand tour to try to keep herself relevant is most likely at the expense of her true occupation...serving the dopes that elected the Lipstick Fido into office. I guess the First Dude is running things back home

February 6, 2009 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  15. Obama for Prime Minister

I wonder how people would have reacted to the Obama's if they had kids named Trig and Track?

February 6, 2009 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  16. Flo - Rida

Hopefully Bristol won't grow up to shoot wolves from helicopters like her mom. I think young republicans are a dieing breed, just like Alaskian wolves. Our country is shifting to the left as it ages.

February 6, 2009 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  17. Me

Boy, after reading all your comments, it's obvious liberals are STILL so affraid of Palin. Too funny :)

February 6, 2009 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  18. Phillip

This is the sorry state of media news in the US in 2009. The economy is imploding, joblessness soars, hunger increases and this is the pablum that is given to the people. Cultures and nations don't fail due so often due to outside influences but rather from the rot within.

February 6, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  19. AP in Illinois

The Environmental Terrorist continues to stay in the news. The problem with America is not Sarah Palin. It is that people actually think she is a qualified candidate for anything. P.T. Barnum said it best..."There is a sucker born every minute"

February 6, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  20. thomas

CNN, please stop parading this woman around in front of us. This is not news.

February 6, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |