February 6th, 2009

Palin: ESPN inspired daughter's name

(CNN) – Sarah Palin’s media blitz continues in a new, expansive interview with Esquire magazine, in which the Alaska governor reflects on the presidential race, her favorite lip balm, and how her ESPN motivated her to name her daughter Bristol.

Palin told the magazine the inspiration for her oldest daughter’s name had a few sources. She once worked at a Dillingham hotel called the Bristol Inn, and her husband Todd grew up in Bristol Bay.

“But also, Bristol, Connecticut, is the home of ESPN,” she explained. “And when I was in high school, my desire was to be a sportscaster. ESPN was just kicking off, just getting off the ground, and I thought that's what I was going to do in life, is be one of the first woman sportscasters. Until I learned that you'd have to move to Bristol, Connecticut. It was far away. So instead, I had a daughter and named her Bristol.”

Esquire published online excerpts of the interview last month, including one in which Palin bashed “bored, anonymous, pathetic bloggers who lie.” But on Friday, the magazine released a miscellany of nearly two dozen quotes from the interview, which covered everything from moose chili to Saturday Night Live.

Looking back on the campaign, Palin reiterated her disappointment with the McCain campaign’s decision to pull out of Michigan early.

“We pulled out of some states that I believe we should have continued to campaign in and sent a stronger message that those states really mattered, regardless of the number of electoral votes there,” she said. “The people mattered. I would have loved to have had more influence on where it was that we campaigned.”

As she said in the earlier excerpts, Palin said she wished she could have called “some of the shots” in the race. “Don't just assume that they know you well enough to make all your decisions for ya,” she said.

The governor noted that she’s a big fan of a certain lip ointment. “I'm addicted to Carmex,” she said. “I don't go anywhere without Carmex.”

She also said: “Everything I've ever needed to know I learned through sports.”

At the end of a long day, she said, she likes to take a bath with her son Trig, and then fall asleep listening her daughter Piper read aloud.

“She's learning to read and she'll read for hours on end,” she said. “It's idyllic. It's amazing.”

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Sniffit

And her love of shooting things inspired her newest son's name.

February 6, 2009 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  2. Cincy Voter

I'm just leaving a comment to say; who cares about this garbage? I mean really???

February 6, 2009 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  3. AEK

I'm sorry, who's this story about? I thought I recognized the name for a moment but then...nope, got nothin'!

February 6, 2009 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  4. bob in LA

Stop listening to this woman- no one cares!

February 6, 2009 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  5. Boston Neutral

Who really cares what Mitt Romney said. I'm neither a democrat nor a republican. Mitt Romney has more grease on him than a mechanic and will waffle, flip flop and change his views based on what "he deems" popular at the moment. Mitt Romney DID NOTHING for Massachusetts other than use it for his self serving interests.

The solution: deport him to Utah and leave him there for good.

February 6, 2009 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  6. Shari, NY

With all due respect hy is this on a political ticker?

February 6, 2009 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  7. Obama Victim

I am looking forward to when we call Sarah...............Madam President

February 6, 2009 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  8. It's all so clear now

"Everything I've ever needed to know I learned through sports." – Sarah Palin

Well, that explains it all.

February 6, 2009 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  9. STOP IT

CNN CAN YOU PLEASE KEEP THIS WOMAN OUT OF THE HEADLINES! NO ONE CARES ABOUT THIS WHACKJOB!

February 6, 2009 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  10. BB

**** chirp chirp chirp ****

February 6, 2009 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  11. gag!

Just when I thought my opinion of her couldn't possibly get lower...

February 6, 2009 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  12. Len in Washington

STOP, STOP, STOP!!!!!!
    We're sick of hearing about her, CNN.

February 6, 2009 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  13. Mark in Atlanta

Wow. What a thinker.

February 6, 2009 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  14. one down, four to go

Oooookkkkaaaaayy.

Now she just needs to explain "Track", "Piper", "Willow", and "Trigg".

February 6, 2009 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  15. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

And this is news why? I only want to hear when this woman say something stupid or ideological (that's often). If this woman is running for a national office (member of the Senate or House or president), that I would like to hear as well. Otherwise, I don't want to hear from an ideologue unless I went looking for one.

February 6, 2009 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  16. Mittohead

i don't want to know these things

February 6, 2009 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  17. teach her, Piper

Now maybe Piper can teach Sarah to read.

February 6, 2009 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  18. Ted

What is with Sarah Palin? Can't she figure out that she is irrevelant? Is the GOP in such shape that it keeps putting her out there? Every time I think of Palin, I think of her being spoofed on SNL or better yet, standing in front of the turkey slaughtering place in Alaska. I know the GOP has better women such as Susan Collins or Olympia Snowe and others.

February 6, 2009 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  19. Louis

Now that she's had a couple of months to think about it, maybe she can name some publications that she reads.

February 6, 2009 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  20. weird

She takes a bath WITH her son? I have two little boys, but I wouldn't climb naked into the tub with them, even as babies!

And doesn't the CHILD usually fall asleep while the PARENT reads?

February 6, 2009 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  21. Tank Engine

With this on the ticker, how come the main ticker does not say "Palin still an idiot"?

February 6, 2009 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  22. Joan

She needs to take a lesson from our FORMER president and disappear.

February 6, 2009 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  23. Cynthia in MI

Well, my parents grew up in and worked in Hamtramck . . . but fortunately they both had common sense.

February 6, 2009 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  24. Jeff Brown

And she is on here because?

February 6, 2009 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |