February 6th, 2009

Palin: ESPN inspired daughter's name

(CNN) – Sarah Palin’s media blitz continues in a new, expansive interview with Esquire magazine, in which the Alaska governor reflects on the presidential race, her favorite lip balm, and how her ESPN motivated her to name her daughter Bristol.

Palin told the magazine the inspiration for her oldest daughter’s name had a few sources. She once worked at a Dillingham hotel called the Bristol Inn, and her husband Todd grew up in Bristol Bay.

“But also, Bristol, Connecticut, is the home of ESPN,” she explained. “And when I was in high school, my desire was to be a sportscaster. ESPN was just kicking off, just getting off the ground, and I thought that's what I was going to do in life, is be one of the first woman sportscasters. Until I learned that you'd have to move to Bristol, Connecticut. It was far away. So instead, I had a daughter and named her Bristol.”

Esquire published online excerpts of the interview last month, including one in which Palin bashed “bored, anonymous, pathetic bloggers who lie.” But on Friday, the magazine released a miscellany of nearly two dozen quotes from the interview, which covered everything from moose chili to Saturday Night Live.

Looking back on the campaign, Palin reiterated her disappointment with the McCain campaign’s decision to pull out of Michigan early.

“We pulled out of some states that I believe we should have continued to campaign in and sent a stronger message that those states really mattered, regardless of the number of electoral votes there,” she said. “The people mattered. I would have loved to have had more influence on where it was that we campaigned.”

As she said in the earlier excerpts, Palin said she wished she could have called “some of the shots” in the race. “Don't just assume that they know you well enough to make all your decisions for ya,” she said.

The governor noted that she’s a big fan of a certain lip ointment. “I'm addicted to Carmex,” she said. “I don't go anywhere without Carmex.”

She also said: “Everything I've ever needed to know I learned through sports.”

At the end of a long day, she said, she likes to take a bath with her son Trig, and then fall asleep listening her daughter Piper read aloud.

“She's learning to read and she'll read for hours on end,” she said. “It's idyllic. It's amazing.”

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. obama-mama

Who gives a rat's behind......

February 6, 2009 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  2. Andrew

And this woman wanted to be vice president....

February 6, 2009 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  3. MrReality

Washington DC is a long way away from Alaska too and you'd have to move there to be Veep. I would be pleased as punch (don'tcha know!) if any additional children born to the Palins were named "Washington".

February 6, 2009 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  4. Kim, Charlotte, NC

Next..............

February 6, 2009 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  5. Barbara Middletown NY

Why is this stupid story necessary? Who cares!

February 6, 2009 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  6. chuck

Bye the way the name of her next child will be FOX .

February 6, 2009 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  7. Seattle

Iso its a good thing she never went to Conn. am sure that state never wanted a moose,bear,wolf destroyer either

February 6, 2009 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  8. Sheryl

CNN are you for real ? I love watching you but this is JUST NOT news, Who Gives a Rat's A$$, I mean really. Just looking to fire People up today or what ? Or economy is in the toilet and this is what you want to report about ?

Use your Media input for educating the ignorant out there that have no clue about why what is happening is happening, and what will happen if nothing is done NOW. Not later but NOW.

I love President Obama and would hope that you report on more of what he is saying about the World, and i am sure he also would want you to put your Media Input to better use than pisses off those igonrant people by reporting every little personal thing he does...taking off his jacket in the Oval Office, or taking his First Ride on Air Force One... I think President Obama and the rest of his supporters would like you to report on MORE PRESSING matters.

Your not the Enquire for Christ sakes, Act Like The Professional that you are.

February 6, 2009 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  9. Simmy

I don't whether to be annoyed with her or the writer. Sick.

February 6, 2009 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  10. shoegazer

Another insignificant story about an insignificant political"wanna-be".
    Again,if this woman is to be the face of the GOP for the foreseeable future,enjoy your time in the hinterlands Repubs'.

February 6, 2009 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  11. tim

nice nonsense story, CNN.

February 6, 2009 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  12. KimD

Too bad she didn't pursue a career as a sportscaster. I never watch ESPN...

February 6, 2009 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  13. Ray Ray

LOL – thank you CNN for the extra attention being paid to Gov Palin!

With Obama pushing the Pork-ulus Bill, nominating tax-cheats and lobbyists' with conflicts of interest.... I can understand why the folks at CNN are now having buyers-remorse. Don't feel too badly.... many Americans were duped by Obama's "Change" and "Hope" which really turned out to be just words.

February 6, 2009 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  14. Robin

Oh, good Lord, here come the Hate filled Libs out from under their rock. (I don't mean all Democrats).

February 6, 2009 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  15. Ken

Is this quote really from Sarah talking about Piper?... I think it is Piper talking about Sarah. I certainly hope Piper doesn't grow up to be as dumb as a toothless billboard for the rightwing.

February 6, 2009 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  16. yeah

“Everything I've ever needed to know I learned through sports.”

That's the problem Sarah, that's the problem.

February 6, 2009 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  17. Kay

This kind of "inside information" is so..."People Magazine". Not what you'd expect from Esquire. Maybe the same megacorporation owns both of them, I don't know...

Some of her opinions are so vapid, they're what you'd expect to get from those ex-teeny-bopper warblers like Britney Spears or friend-to-Paris Nicole Richey.

She didn't happen to impart her feelings about men who wear Carhartts, did she?

She probably needs the Carmex because she habitually wears her lipstick about 1/8" beyond her lip line. Helps prevent those age lines that so many ex-beauty-queen contestants abhor...

Meow.

February 6, 2009 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  18. Doug - Dallas

Who cares!!!

February 6, 2009 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  19. Ron

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha....thanks for the daily laugh, Palin..........I wanted to name my daughter after something ties to ESPN? For the love of God, doesn't this woman have any sense?????

February 6, 2009 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  20. john

CNN loves Palin. The rest of America, not so much.

February 6, 2009 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  21. Frozen Alaskan

Okay enough about her already! Why is she in the news EVERY DAY, and you report on things that are not even news! For instance, who cares where Bristol got her name? Also notice how she loves media coverage, just not the negative.

I wish instead of yapping to the news media all day every day, that she'd actually do her job in Alaska, for Alaskans. I think she has the idea she's too cool or important to be doing her job now. So many Alaskans are upset at her lack of work ethic now that she's popular. I can't imagine her as president (thank God she isn't), she'd do what she's doing now for Alaska: pretty much nothing.

Perhaps she should leave politics altogether and be a sportswriter. That way I can at least ignore her when I don't read Sports.

February 6, 2009 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  22. cancer

No one is interested in what Sara Palin named her kids.

February 6, 2009 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  23. Katie

Hahahaha..... McCain/Palin would have NEVER taken Michigan. Who does she think she is? It's one of the most Democratic states in the nation.

February 6, 2009 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  24. Chuck

Enough of Sarah Palin. She is about as deep as a mud puddle.

February 6, 2009 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  25. Obama Mama in Seattle

Sara Palin – can you imagine if she and McCain had gotten in the white house – OMG, what a scary thought – I wish she would just go away. She's an embarrasement to herself and Alaska.

February 6, 2009 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |