February 6th, 2009

Palin: ESPN inspired daughter's name

(CNN) – Sarah Palin’s media blitz continues in a new, expansive interview with Esquire magazine, in which the Alaska governor reflects on the presidential race, her favorite lip balm, and how her ESPN motivated her to name her daughter Bristol.

Palin told the magazine the inspiration for her oldest daughter’s name had a few sources. She once worked at a Dillingham hotel called the Bristol Inn, and her husband Todd grew up in Bristol Bay.

“But also, Bristol, Connecticut, is the home of ESPN,” she explained. “And when I was in high school, my desire was to be a sportscaster. ESPN was just kicking off, just getting off the ground, and I thought that's what I was going to do in life, is be one of the first woman sportscasters. Until I learned that you'd have to move to Bristol, Connecticut. It was far away. So instead, I had a daughter and named her Bristol.”

Esquire published online excerpts of the interview last month, including one in which Palin bashed “bored, anonymous, pathetic bloggers who lie.” But on Friday, the magazine released a miscellany of nearly two dozen quotes from the interview, which covered everything from moose chili to Saturday Night Live.

Looking back on the campaign, Palin reiterated her disappointment with the McCain campaign’s decision to pull out of Michigan early.

“We pulled out of some states that I believe we should have continued to campaign in and sent a stronger message that those states really mattered, regardless of the number of electoral votes there,” she said. “The people mattered. I would have loved to have had more influence on where it was that we campaigned.”

As she said in the earlier excerpts, Palin said she wished she could have called “some of the shots” in the race. “Don't just assume that they know you well enough to make all your decisions for ya,” she said.

The governor noted that she’s a big fan of a certain lip ointment. “I'm addicted to Carmex,” she said. “I don't go anywhere without Carmex.”

She also said: “Everything I've ever needed to know I learned through sports.”

At the end of a long day, she said, she likes to take a bath with her son Trig, and then fall asleep listening her daughter Piper read aloud.

“She's learning to read and she'll read for hours on end,” she said. “It's idyllic. It's amazing.”

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Beverly, NYC

Where to begin so many pearls of insight:

She also said: “Everything I've ever needed to know I learned through sports.” Now I know why someone with a journalism degree sounds like an illerate jock who play without a helmet.

I'm going to let the whole grown woman bathing with a child go, I'm sure that image will make Sean & Rush willing to trade places. It's just nice to know someone in that family reads.

February 6, 2009 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  2. cool onlooker

THAT IS NEWS!
    SHE IS A GRANDMO NOW, DON'T YOU KNOW?

February 6, 2009 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  3. Pete

I'm sure this is yet another not-exactly true not-exactly a lie from Ms. Palin. So, her fear of "moving far away" caused her to abandon her career ambitions? Funny that this is literally the first time we've heard this story. My guess is that her broadcast career fizzled out because she simply wasn't good enough to make it to Bristol.

As for "learning everything she's ever needed to know she learned from sports", how exactly does her knowledge of UConn basketball help her understand the delicate situation in Pakistan?

February 6, 2009 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  4. Spencer MC Alpine

The woman is a idiot!!!

February 6, 2009 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  5. Steve in Las Vegas,NV

I would hate to be given some goofy name like she has come up with.
    Why not normal names?, but of course she is not from this planet.

Maybe she thinks this a cute thing. Hopefully their names can be changed in court if they don't like them. How would she like a name like Moose, or Caribou Barbie,or Killer of wolves Mooseburger..... The list goes on.

Feel free to add your suggestions to the list of really goofy names!

February 6, 2009 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  6. Amber

OK, let's not get hypocritical here folks. Remember that a lot of famous progressives name their kids Kal-EL, Apple, Moon Unit, Wolfgang, Pilot, etc.

Just adding a little un-biased perspective.
    I'm trying to wean myself off of being a snark about this lady because honestly, who does it help?

February 6, 2009 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  7. Tina, NC

Once again we are forced to ask WHO CARES??

February 6, 2009 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  8. Funmi

It nice to hear Palin speaks like this. I love women who speak idyllically unlike the time of campaign, they made her talk very aggresively. More grease to your elbow and I love to see more of your real self like today's

February 6, 2009 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  9. ac

This is NEWS? Political NEWS? You've got to be kidding!

February 6, 2009 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  10. Elspeth

I don't think we can have a president, a vice-president or ANY significant elected official who says "Ya"–dodged a bullet with Palin, for sure–and her career aspiration to be a sportscaster says a lot. Hmm.. Glorified gym teacher? Those who can't teach, teach gym!

February 6, 2009 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  11. Dana from NY

Someone please tell me how any reputable news organization can call this "news"??
    NO ONE CARES about how Palin's daughter got her name- someone managed to write paragraphs about this topic?
    What is next.... How Palin came up with her pets name?? Or maybe it will be a exclusive interview about her new book "The joys of shooting helpless animals from airplanes"- or "Hunting- run fast or be shot".... I mean really CNN- this is news??

February 6, 2009 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  12. greed is not good

Oh please...enough already of Palin it's like reading the National Enquirer or gossip daytime television shows.

February 6, 2009 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  13. George W. Bush

Can't she just go away!!

February 6, 2009 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  14. hello

STOP GIVING PLATFORM TO THIS LADY.
    SHE IS AS UNEDUCATED AS OUR LAST PRSIDENT.
    NOT A WELL READ PERSON.

February 6, 2009 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  15. kayla

AND?

February 6, 2009 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  16. gabe

I love you Sarah. Can't wait to see you in '12 when Barak's name is mud.

February 6, 2009 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  17. Michelle

"She also said: “Everything I've ever needed to know I learned through sports.” "

Well that explains a lot.

February 6, 2009 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  18. John

This is the kind of lightweight fluff Palin seems to excel at.

She'd make a great president, no?

/sarcasm

February 6, 2009 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  19. Chuck

Does anyone in this country really give a rat's behind where she got her names for her children. I wonder if any of them are biblical. They sound more like names of famous television horses.

February 6, 2009 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  20. Venia

And her parents named her after a clueless pathological liar they once knew.

February 6, 2009 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  21. Spencer/Virginia

Stop killing animals from helicopters Sarah. If you're so pro-life, then stop killing the defenseless wolves.

February 6, 2009 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  22. Jen

Esquire magazine? I can't wait to read the article. She certianly calls it like it is...isn't that refreshing.

I am so tired of Washington telling people what they want them to think, what they think we should know and like last night, telling us from his cushy position at the lux hotel, our president tells us we should approve for congress to pass a trillion dollar bill because the tab is a trillion dollars...

gee, if i just gave money to every person that said they needed money without serious evaluation of whether it was going to actually help them or if they were going to spend it wisely I would be stupid. I guess Washington is stupid.

They are if they think I and other americans will follow blindly along....regardless of who we voted for. Citizens have woken up.

February 6, 2009 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  23. Republicans = window lickers

Oh my GOD!!!!! This has to be the silliest thing I have ever heard. Typical posturing forthe next election cycle. This witch needs to get on her broom and fly away. Palin just go and lick your window.

February 6, 2009 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  24. Lou in Iowa

She regularly goes to bed before her 8-year-old daughter? How strange.

February 6, 2009 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  25. Soccer Nana

A sweaty grown woman taking a bath with an infant; an eight year old reading to the grown up who just finished a bath with an infant; the grown admits to falling asleep while the eight year old reads to her. My question is, who puts the infant and the eight year old to bed after the grown up falls asleep?

February 6, 2009 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |